Home Unreal Engine

Master Materials in UE4

Garasin
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Garasin polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

I was just checking out PogoP's awesome Sci-Fi Colony Bunk and, after downloading the scene to take a look around, I noticed I didn't really have a clue what was going on with the materials, or rather how they're set up. It was all just a mess of nodes and wires to my eyes.

I was wondering if anyone could give a rundown of how these master materials are set up and what purposes are they serving?

I'm sure this is a topic that couldn't be covered in a single answer so if anyone could point me in the direction of some tutorials that would be great!

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This is really not an easy topic, especially if you see just a mess of nodes in it...They are mathematical operations.
    You can start by reading his page. Master materials are used to determine the parameters and samplers that the material instances will use and share. You can achieve this by using "parameters" instead of constants and simple texturesamples. These parameters will be visible in your instances, and their value can be changed in every instance, so you don't have to reconnect every material every time on every surface. Instances are probably better in performance too (I'm not sure how this part of the topic works)
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I'd start with a simple tutorial.. like.. Tor Fricks Modular Scene in UDK (Eat3d).. or anything like it. So you get a basic understanding of node based material editors and then just play around with it, see what you can achieve.
    Once you know what all the nodes do and think it through it will be easy. I haven't had a look at the bunk room myself, but that's how I started playing with shaders.
  • bearrrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearrrs polycounter lvl 3
    I'm also interested in this, thanks for the link!
  • Garasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Garasin polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the replies. I checked out tor Frick's Modular Masterclass and that does seem like a great place to start. I'll work my way through it!
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    what I did to learn materials was experiment by creating networks attached to the emissive. this makes an important visual connection.
    After following basic tutorials start experimenting in this way so you can see EXACTLY what is happening without having the other channels hide the small details. Especially if you don't have a true albedo and your color map has lighting information in it other than color. Small dark spots or hot spots can hide some of the subtleties that will help you to understand how math works in shaders.