Home Unreal Engine

Modeling & texturing environment for UE4

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
adeliadesu polycounter lvl 5
Hello

As of lately I've been planning to create environment in Unreal Engine 4 but after analyzing all of UE4 marketplace free examples i stumbled across problem.

When i worked on the environment last time i have used texture atlas to make up for all of my texture work on assets, but now that i checked UE4 packs i noticed that 90% of assets in the engine use either unique textures or multiple submaterials and they are all merged under one "master material".

What bothers me actually is the list of following:
When i modelled environment for the last time it was a building that had premade texture atlas and i was modeling assets while actively UVing, but what is the workflow if i'd like to have unique sculpted assets?

How efficient is UE4 for using separate diffuse/normal/specular/roughness for each asset?

If i would like to have multiple high resolution mesh that share same material would it be efficient to use shared base colour and unique normals?
Think of it as, various shapes of rocks would require unique normal/ao per each one but one base colour could be shared due to PBR albedo being flat colour anyway

I will probably continue asking questions regarding this project as most of them are related to Unreal Engine 4 environment creation and texturing PBR ready assets

Actually if there is some tutorial out there that shows the workflow for creating environment in modern engine i'd be more than welcome to pay for it as it's something that really brings a lot of struggle and it's difficult to find information regarding those issues... or at least i didnt find any :(

Replies

• DriveJunky95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DriveJunky95 polycounter lvl 7
    Some rules that I follow:

-Get as many assets on one tiling texture atlas as possible. Start a new one when the first is maxed out.

-Use tiling textures and/or split up geometry/overlap UV shells whenever possible.

-Unique/hero assets should primarily use a unique or unique tiling texture.

-Avoid texture atlases if a texture/model needs to tile on both axes (due to mipmapping).
  • meneer_batavia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meneer_batavia polycounter lvl 2
    If it's for a game, for me the simple rules is, if it doesn't need to be a unique or main piece, just re-use as much as possible without breaking the visual (visible repetition)

but if it's only for personal portfolio i don't really think about efficiency