Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    If his muscles are too big, why don't u remove the arm parts, so it looked they are ripped of :) I really like the concept, looks refreshing!

I finially uploaded my Ember headpiece, which i finished a few months ago. I tried to add particles to it, but didn't really like the outcome so I've now uploaded it without particles.

JxmAU1x.jpg

I am really loving that Helmet, Here's hoping we get some 99 cent single chests again
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having problems with Drow Ranger again, this time it's the cape. It seems like the files provided on the workshop website are outdated because this weird error occurs during her running animation (see picture)

I thought it must be an error on my part but I tried importing her original cloak and the same thing happened. Now I've been told to decompile her files directly from the game and use those which seem like a good solution.

I've got the .smd-files but after spending yesturday trying to install the proper plug-ins needed to open those files in Maya I realized Source SDK plug-ins don't work on 64bit version of Maya which is what I'm using. Is there any way to get around this without having to get a new version of Maya?
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I think you just add "cape_" or "_cape" (cant remember which end it goes on) to all the appropriate bone names.
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    I think you just add "cape_" or "_cape" (cant remember which end it goes on) to all the appropriate bone names.

Yeah I thought it was a skinning problem at first (which it surely looks like) but I made a test where I just took the original cape which should be skinned correctly but it looks like the bones just flip out completely in game. I'm thinking they might have changed something in the rig which hasn't been updated in the files you download from the workshop site.

The problem only shows during the run animation, in all the other animations the cape looks just fine.
  • pear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    @enmi uh oh still having issues with that cape? send me your smd file and ill find the issue. i had the same problem last month when i made my drow set but i forgot how to fix it.
  • down_limit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    Vovosunt wrote: »
    Hey guys! Working on a SK set. Freestyled it in zBrush and trying to figure out the colors. Any comments, crits and suggestions are appreciated.

Hey! set looks very good! conception and geometry forms give pleasure for eyes) aboute color - i dont shure than orange color is best veriation. default ellow can looks better maybe. hope you have time for some experiments with orange+yellow+green colors)
    good work
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pear wrote: »
    @enmi uh oh still having issues with that cape? send me your smd file and ill find the issue. i had the same problem last month when i made my drow set but i forgot how to fix it.

The only file I have is the model downloaded directly from the workshop site. I can't open .smd files in Maya since the plug-ins don't work on my version. I'm guessing there might be an error in the bones or something. You sent me a bunch of .smd files to work with but since I can't open them I'm stuck >__<

I'll need to get an 86x version of Maya for the Source SDK to work. Still don't know if it will fix my problem.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Any comments before I call this done? Tried to do some particles but alien swarm ctd's right now.

firebat_finish.jpg
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    tiny_turntable_l1234.gif
    Finally finished ALL levels. Fuck, tiny is a hell lot of work..
    Still need to do the fucking tree D:
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    The OCD in me is sad they don't spin in order of grow levels but that is some amazing work right there. I look forward to the tree model too!

I finished this over the weekend too, some great work on this page, keep it up everyone.

s0fTd4n.jpg

Blackwater Disciple by Threepgood!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    @katzeimsack: I was wondering a lot about your work. Do you attempt at stylizing the textures towards Dota 2 style? I sense there is some realism elements in your work. I could be very wrong so would appreciate if you feedback on this.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @hop: I don't like the pose, hard see the face and not an interesting silhouette.

@vayne: I use AO, curvature and bent normals. Only thing adding a bit of realism is a rock texture, that i use really settle. If you look at the valve tiny he actually has a lot more realism going on. They used the rock photo texture really strong.

I guess my last models all had a lot of metal and therefore tend to look realistic in marmoset (PBR).
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I am really loving that Helmet, Here's hoping we get some 99 cent single chests again

Thanks! happy you like it :D

It really is time for some single item chests again, I liked them a lot more than all those set chests they bring these days.
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was asked by my boyfriend to make a Huskar set so I'm making one! Concept art here :)

Bz_dQR9IYAATNOj.jpg:large
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great this close but honestly, I feel it is lacking character. The spear also is a bit basic.
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    @hop: I don't like the pose, hard see the face and not an interesting silhouette.

Thanks, ill look at addressing these issues.
  • Rubus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @katzeimsack:

Looking beastly, I really like how crisp overall the model and texture looks.

Though I can't say I wasn't expecting a bit more variation, dunno, something like fire inscriptions a la the One Ring or something to shake it up a bit :q

Anyway, a charred tree with ember particles would look awesome, my two cents for the next step.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Rubus: Thanks! I didn't want to go further, he'S already quite a bit different that the original.. I promised to make a level4 lava beard veration, but after working on this for so long i'm not really in the mood ;)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm pretty sure the worst thing Valve ever did to the dota 2 workshop was give a single person their own chest. There's far too many excellent entries (both single and set) out there to justify giving one to 1-3 people.

I only say this because of the trend of doing chests. Don't get me wrong, most of the work is fantastic, and hopefully they mix the last few 'chest' submissions into a decent sized community chest maybe featuring 2-3 from each person that's attempted it. However, unless the well is running dry (which it certainly won't as long as valve shows they are actually putting stuff in... and for singles, we haven't seen that for a long-ass time despite them saying we would see more of them. Regardless, there's tons of excellent quality unused items waiting to get in), there's no reason not to do community chests instead of ones focused on a very small group.

good for lots of people > good for a couple

and yeah, I know I might be saying this too soon, but it's setting a bad precedent and skewing expectations.

It would also be nice if they told us which heroes they were reworking so we don't waste our time.

RANT RANT ETC :D
  • Nikey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the worst thing Valve ever did to the dota 2 workshop was give a single person their own chest. There's far too many excellent entries (both single and set) out there to justify giving one to 1-3 people.

I only say this because of the trend of doing chests. Don't get me wrong, most of the work is fantastic, and hopefully they mix the last few 'chest' submissions into a decent sized community chest maybe featuring 2-3 from each person that's attempted it. However, unless the well is running dry (which it certainly won't as long as valve shows they are actually putting stuff in... and for singles, we haven't seen that for a long-ass time despite them saying we would see more of them. Regardless, there's tons of excellent quality unused items waiting to get in), there's no reason not to do community chests instead of ones focused on a very small group.

good for lots of people > good for a couple

and yeah, I know I might be saying this too soon, but it's setting a bad precedent and skewing expectations.

It would also be nice if they told us which heroes they were reworking so we don't waste our time.

RANT RANT ETC :D

Yeah, you're right.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    The nature of the workshop allows individuals to do what they please. If a single person whats to spend the time to create an entire ensemble of items, they have all the power to do so, nor should they be penalized. All they are simply doing is raising the bar, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe we'll see the future of singles treasure grow into a massive inception like treasure. Where a single $0.99 purchase earns the consumer a bundle (5+) items. Think of it like a collection of bundles in a single treasure. Something like that sounds really awesome to me.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    The nature of the workshop allows individuals to do what they please. If a single person whats to spend the time to create an entire ensemble of items, they have all the power to do so, nor should they be penalized. All they are simply doing is raising the bar, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Maybe we'll see the future of singles treasure grow into a massive inception like treasure. Where a single $0.99 purchase earns the consumer a bundle (5+) items. Think of it like a collection of bundles in a single treasure. Something like that sounds really awesome to me.

I'm just all for inclusion rather than exclusion. The more bundles and chests you have featuring fewer individuals, the more excluded others are that are doing great work themselves. There's nothing inherently wrong with big packs except for the fact that there's already more than enough items outside of them, and if those prevent people that don't have the time or energy to make twelve at a time, I think that's shitty. Of course the workshop is here and allows people to do whatever they want. That's part of what makes it great. It's on Valve to do it in a way that encourages MORE people to participate, not less.

Of course, profit is always the bottom line, but in the long run it would probably be the same amount of profits if not moreso. I don't think it's going to stop, but it'd be nice if they were at least able to balance it out with a 10:1 ratio of community:1-3 user(s) singles chests.

and again, this is more just watching the trends as they develop thing and saying how I feel. I've already spoken to enough workshoppers that have been demoralized by the way Valve has handled stuff in the past.
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    What about this: for last 2 months they added only 2 chests, one of them were for tournament. If it goes that way it leaves average 3 "slots" per month to artists who are not working with any organisation.
    There are about 50 new sets per month at workshop, you can count your chances to get in.
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    @bounch: You guys have done so many items/sets bundles (even if you call them collections instead of treasures) like the one for the chinese event, the summer solstice, and the summon's pack for a tournament, that it's kinda unfair to say that :(
    I understand your worries, but still...I have no problem with people making bundles for themselves and expressing their creativity on treasure chests, creating a identity or whatever they want. It's up to Valve to decide and compensate them (or not) for the hard work.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Zaphk wrote: »
    @bounch: You guys have done so many items/sets bundles (even if you call them collections instead of treasures) like the one for the chinese event, the summer solstice, and the summon's pack for a tournament, that it's kinda unfair to say that :(
    I understand your worries, but still...I have no problem with people making bundles for themselves and expressing their creativity on treasure chests, creating a identity or whatever they want. It's up to Valve to decide and compensate them (or not) for the hard work.

Zaphk, I don't think it's unfair to say that at all. Us being lucky enough to have stuff accepted in bundles and me thinking that chests should be more 'overall community' focused are not mutually exclusive. I'm fine with bundles because they usually have a specific theme or focus, in addition to getting everything inside from one purchase. More importantly, they don't seem to take up a chest 'slot' (though I may very well be incorrect about this).

I don't blame or fault ANYONE whatsoever for giving it a go, I mean, if you have the time and energy, why wouldn't you? It's a great idea. Valve has shown they are open to it and people are welcome to give it their best. All I'm saying is I'm disappointed we haven't seen more singles after they said there would be, and hoped that they stay community focused versus a couple people (considering how many GREAT items are waiting).

As for your examples, two of those were for a third party and by request, and the other was for a contest. If it makes you feel any better, the shattered hourglass chest was never supposed to happen and we got boned incredibly hard on the financials.

To reiterate and attempt to make my message clear; I have absolutely no issue with people giving it a shot. Lots of amazing items have been submitted thanks to great effort by many people. As I said before, I'm probably getting ahead of myself but just displaying my feelings and worries ahead of time. I just miss community singles chests is all. ;(
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    If the idea of 1 chest for only 1 person sounds wrong to you can always say No to those third parties or suggest to split the work with other fellows from the workshop. I'm not trying to attack you or create a fuss about it. I just think the workshop still have areas to improve and I agree there are many good items that don't get a chance to be on a chest, but "blocking" other people for doing what they want is not the solution.
    Yeah, I miss singles chests too D: I believe the single items are not over forever. It's important for Valve to try other methods for the economy, collect data and study what's the best for the players, for them and for the workshop.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Did I miss something? Was there new single person chest scoped somewhere in the files?
    Also if that were to happen I would not treat this in category of good or bad. They are definitely experimenting a lot lately with new types of chests/bundles etc. Summers said that there were only 2 chests added in last 2 months. All of this for sure is due to pre/post TI4 item overflow and release of 2 new heores/arcanas. For sure everything will come back soon to previous phase.

I will tell here what I always told to myself. Most important is doing this for fun. Profits come later. What I always dream to do was to work as character artist, however my shity skill would not allow me to do so in decent company so I can at least pretend I am doing this at workshop.

Before workshop I used to practice 3d anyway. I would do this still, however now I can have some kind of goal/theme to follow with Dota 2 works. Getting paind for this is just sweet cherry on already tasty cake :)

On the other hand what I see often now are sets/items that are rushed. Artists that don't make any progress or even have descending quality of items. Seriously rat race in unhealthy for us all.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Zaphk wrote: »
    but "blocking" other people for doing what they want is not the solution.

Absolutely not, I agree - I'm all about options. After further thought, I think I took my 'arrgh why no singles chests' feelings and wrongly directed them towards something unrelated (single artist chests). At this point it would be wrong to not let people have the opportunity if they bust their ass and make a kick-ass package.

-

@Konras, your art is better than a lot of people I've seen in the industry already! ...have you tried applying places?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly, you can't avoid a rat race when money is involved.

Personally, I would much rather see people jumping in and doing their own chest, I don't see a problem with it, however, the issue I have with the situation is the lack of singles getting much love outside of leagues. The last time we saw singles straight from the community was before TI4 with the Shattered Hourglass, and the Treasure of the Sunken Maiden. Although, I think we need to wait just a little bit longer before we can jump on the; "Valve doesn't like singles anymore" bandwagon.

The interesting thing about those singles treasures was the fact one was done by Red Moon, and the other done by Pear. In that regard you can say both were done by one artist. If anything that says to me that Valve is interested in singles chest done by a single artist. And again, for me, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hell, I enjoy seeing it, especially if it's done exceptionally well with all the bells and whistles.

At the end of the day it just means more work all around for those who want to pursue singles, which again, in my opinion, isn't a bad thing. I'll repost this quote since its something that I've always thought about even when I was lurking in the TF2 Workshop before the Days of Dota.
    Things have gotten more balanced. Gone are the days where several hours of work can net you several thousand dollars. Most of the complaints I hear are people saying they have to do more and more, yet fail to compare the ammount of money they earn they work compared to artist working outside the workshop. The workshop is a fucking gold mine if you play your cards right. I'll tell you this, and maybe it's just me, but it's pure bullshit in my opinion to see one artist make upwards of a year salary of another artist in a eighth of the time for a tenth of the work.

My point being, if valve is, in fact, more interested in treasures filled with single items done by a single artist, it could simply be a way for them to balance things out. I've gotten a few singles in treasures in the past and the amount they paid out was disgusting for how much work I did.

The times they are a-changin' ...or their not, in which case, good luck and have fun. :D
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Tumblr_n1wf8hUVYf1qg4gkko4_250.gif
    Make this the new face of 99 cent chests
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    give me a new singles chest every 2 weeks for .99 and I would buy too many. Finally got around to getting baked with my Snaptrap set. Just a normal AO and a simple light map

JKm63ao.png
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Sadly, you can't avoid a rat race when money is involved.

Personally, I would much rather see people jumping in and doing their own chest, I don't see a problem with it, however, the issue I have with the situation is the lack of singles getting much love outside of leagues. The last time we saw singles straight from the community was before TI4 with the Shattered Hourglass, and the Treasure of the Sunken Maiden. Although, I think we need to wait just a little bit longer before we can jump on the; "Valve doesn't like singles anymore" bandwagon.

The interesting thing about those singles treasures was the fact one was done by Red Moon, and the other done by Pear. In that regard you can say both were done by one artist. If anything that says to me that Valve is interested in singles chest done by a single artist. And again, for me, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Hell, I enjoy seeing it, especially if it's done exceptionally well with all the bells and whistles.

At the end of the day it just means more work all around for those who want to pursue singles, which again, in my opinion, isn't a bad thing. I'll repost this quote since its something that I've always thought about even when I was lurking in the TF2 Workshop before the Days of Dota.

My point being, if valve is, in fact, more interested in treasures filled with single items done by a single artist, it could simply be a way for them to balance things out. I've gotten a few singles in treasures in the past and the amount they paid out was disgusting for how much work I did.

The times they are a-changin' ...or their not, in which case, good luck and have fun. :D

I think if you have a bunch of ppl making their own chest you get the same thing with the personally chests right now. And that all the items have the same feel and look to it. Every artist has their own style and it will be less and less intersting for me personally to buy these single items.

I actually love the old chests, you might not like every item in it, but at least most of teh items are different and they feel unique in that chest.

I think the problem these days is that people are missing the point of the whole Workshop idea (including Valve sometimes). It's a communtiy place for people to create items for the game the like to play. At least that's what Valve always stated in their interviews etc.

Now people know they can make some serious money the workshop is full of professianly artist to make some buck. I don't mind it because the items and workshop submissions improved a lot, although not always for the good. But it seems we do forget about the people that have a full time job and make these items for fun and not just to make a shit load of money.

Credits for the people that gave up their basic job to make money while doing that they love for a game they like to play, but not everyone has the time to make a full set, with particles, new pictures, a loadingscreen, sounds, or a complete item chest with more than 10 items :S

I think it's fair to say we are missing some really nice items because their are no single chests. Valve will probably throw them in once again, but why not add a single chest next to the set chests? I know i will go for the single items because sometimes it's a lot more fun to make your own set out of singles.

Also what's the point of doing a single item contest if we won't see single item chests anymore.
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B0EniXWCQAEC5iX.jpg:large

Reworked Huskar. I feel much better about it now. :3
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enmi wrote: »
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0EniXWCQAEC5iX.jpg:large

Reworked Huskar. I feel much better about it now. :3

i would like to have a bigger dagger/blade tip on the long spear.

and btw dat smooth hair:poly124:
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-v5dKZKOEnpc/Um4fS-7VvuI/AAAAAAAAM0w/7IzUo8w-yR0/s640/funny-thor-2.jpg
    kite212 wrote: »
    give me a new singles chest every 2 weeks for .99 and I would buy too many. Finally got around to getting baked with my Snaptrap set. Just a normal AO and a simple light map

http://i.imgur.com/JKm63ao.png

3 stars goku turtle shell, confirm +99 armor :poly108:
  • Malloy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malloy polycounter lvl 6
    First item submitted :D

DK_SotSP_Icon.JPG
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Bounchfx: You might have a point but then, I would go further and simply say that there are even worse issues that Valve needs to focus on than the one you are mentioning. I'd refuse to say anything but the word "community" is lacking more and more as times passes by.
  • enmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agito666 wrote: »
    i would like to have a bigger dagger/blade tip on the long spear.

Bigger and better! :D When I start on the 3D models I'll probably boost the weapon size. Plus, dat Thor, so handsome XD
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Very very unrelated question.
    Does anyone suggests upgrading to windows 8?
    will there be any difference in the performance?
    The softwares we use are all cool in windows 8?
    Thanks
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I have Windows 8, no noticeable/significant improvement from what I find though.

Softwares work fine for me, works on both Win 8 and 8.1.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @BounchFX Thanks allot! That really cheered me up! I will need to try my luck! However I have ~1 year to sharpen my skills some more (especially 2D :( ) as right now we are grounded because of Madzias 1 year contract :D

@Reza Hmm if everything was working good on WIN7 for you it will work the same on WIN8. For me actually it was huge improvement to move into WIN8 as I bought GTX660 from a series that had some problems with WIN7 Aero vertical sync for some reason and I was getting allot of screen tearing especially in zbrush. Its a lot better, almost non existence on WIN8.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »
    Thanks

I just went 8.1, but I just upgraded my pc, so less wood. If it were not for that I would have stayed with 7. If 10 was out that would be a different story. But all my apps work, and everything is silky smooth, but again I upgraded my hardware, so it just made sense
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been using win8 for well over a year now. I see no reason to ever go back to win7. I work faster in win8, its clearly the better OS for me in my opinion. I dont see why everyone has a problem with it.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Well thanks
    I'll consider it then :)
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6

268x268.resizedimage

Bit of Medusa love. I have some ideas for a set, but that's waaaaay in the future. XD

• Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Reza wrote: »
    Thanks

Win 8 starts way faster than Win 7 does - that's the only difference I notice in terms of workshop stuff. Start screen takes a little getting used to, but from 8.1 onwards it's nothing too big to get over.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been using win8 for well over a year now. I see no reason to ever go back to win7. I work faster in win8, its clearly the better OS for me in my opinion. I dont see why everyone has a problem with it.

Personally most of my problems with 8 had to do with how Microsoft handled their "unified " os, but then the trashcan that was RT was a thing, and from an enterprise perspective 8 made some mistakes. Thankfully 8.1 made many necessary improvements, and addressed most my usability concerns I had with 8 and after using 10 preview at work it will be the os I was expecting 8.1 to be. One huge thing in 8.1 I love that I forgot to mention is I no longer really need to use displayfusion . The multi monitor support out of the box in 8 is so much better than 7.
  • bungy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a2FiPgy.png
    Honestly I'll just stop trying, at this rate I'll never know how to make anything worth uploading.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    ^ i'd pay for that :poly142:
  • danidem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    @Konras if you keep up the quality shown on that PA set, as time goes by you'll be able to virtually work anywhere really soon.

And quoting Konras: I will tell here what I always told to myself. Most important is doing this for fun. Profits come later. /thread
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Finally finished another set for Skywrath Mage in collaboration with Rock it and h a y e s. Let me know what you think!

72763D1CBC0D19812BEC8A8AD85DEC834F7CB37D

p.s. Seraphic Dragonus is still inbound. Heaven and Hell.