Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A couple Gears of War concepts

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Vas: heh, it doesn't matter how detailed the Hawkster goes, people here always model it more detailed smile.gif

Personally, I think this is a big part of what justifies us in stating that Gears of War is truly next gen, more than anything else I've seen in the pipeline for the 360 or PS3 so far.

Critics can knock the worth of making games prettier all they like, but Gears will sell a lot just on the sheer wow factor of its looks and our engine sales keep proving that other developers agree too!

Cool beans Jay, but then I've seen these before smile.gif

r.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    great work, love the detail. i tried doing some concept stuff at work myslef last week, but then decided to stick to modelling/texturing. I suck
  • nitzmoff
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Those are really quite wonderful. You're an ace.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    You just made me slightly wet myself.... humina humina humina....
    Paintovers for concepts... never really thought of that. But it certainly does give it a very realistic sense of 3d space and perspective.
  • hawkprey
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkprey polycounter lvl 18
    Ya Rorshach is right.....I would say in most cases the modellers get at least a 1/3 more detailed than these concepts. They use these as a springboard and then add more bits to thier liking. Zbrush has made it alot easier for them to get insane with detail.
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff! I cant wait for this game to come out. Incredible.
  • Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Well, Hawkprey... got back from the ZeroHour event and no Gears of War artbook. I was told that Microsoft possibly lost them(?). It's sad, cause getting an artbook was the only reason my girlfriend went to the event! When the doors opened she went hunting around asking everyone about it. At the GOW presentation she even went on stage, when people were allowed onstage to take a look at the game on a HD moniter, and asked Cliffy B. about it! I actually believe that she was devistated by the fact there were none. She then and there decided she no longer wanted a 360.

Please help me save our relationship and tell me how I could get one of those art books! I'll pay whatever it takes... Thanks.
  • Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm... better send him the artbook... then I will pay him for it, and his sister can get those kidneys! We're all happy! wink.gif
  • cholden
  • hawkprey
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkprey polycounter lvl 18
    Man I dont know what to tell you about that art book. As far as I know it was made for E3 last year and that was it. I heard there were a couple for sale on ebay. I have only one copy myself......and I wont share!
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    Mine is still unopened. Maybe I'll put it on Ebay when the game is released smile.gif

r.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I'd be happy to pay an extra 25-50 for that book in a colectors ed box. Or just on its own in a book store. That would make just as much cash as the game...
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I would love to have a copy also . Maybe one of you epic guys can pass on the word there is strong interest . They could even get the printing done on demand at www.lulu.com so it would be pretty easy to sell them right from the epic website .
  • Zatoichi
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be a great Idea for it to be published, much like the Halflife2 or Doom3 artbooks. I find that artbooks about videogames are quite a bit more prevalent in Japan. I love the Metal Gear Solid and Xenosaga artbooks. Quite impressive.

Oh, and here's where I got info about the GOW artbook... from Microsoft itself in a mass-email to those attending ZeroHour:

"You're just two days away from stepping into the epicenter of the gaming universe. Here's some
    tasty sneak previews of what you'll have the chance to experience at "Xbox 360: Zero Hour"--

- Live gameplay of "Gears of War" as creator Cliff Blezinski plays onstage and then gives out a limited amount of autographed copies of the game's art book

- The exclusive Zero Hour "Red Vs. Blue" episode projected on the massive main stage screen

- id software's Todd Hollenshead challenges attendees to jump onstage for a "Quake 4" deathmatch

- Play high definition "Halo 2" with members of the Bungie Team

- Take home your free Zero Hour memory card and limited edition faceplate

- "Dead or Alive" world champions go head-to-head with attendees on Xbox 360's "DOA4"

- Watch as the Frag Dolls tear apart attendees on a giant screen

- Join industry legend Ken Lobb onstage as he shows you how to REALLY play Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero

- Play every single launch game

- Best Buy on-site store has thousands of Xbox 360 consoles IN STOCK for
    attendees

- And much, much more! "