Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Cala'quessir Throne - njackson4190

First time challenge for me. I've been waiting a while for a good environment art challenge and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. This is going to be a fun challenge.

The idea that came to my mind is an elven throne room, very pure and bright. I'm not sure on the layout of the throne room, but I do have a few key elements that I want to have implemented into the environment.

Programs:
3Ds Max
Modo (Gotta Learn)
Substance Painter
Substance Designer
Zbrush
UE4

ZOhjoi.jpg

Replies

• njackson4190
    Current progress of blockout. Still not feeling the pillars and roof so I'll be spending the day tomorrow finessing the look of those. My plan for the steps is to make the front most section look like an eagle. The wings will form the steps and the center will be the eagle body. Gonna have to really play with the shapes to get the look right. For the throne I am currently unsure what I want to do.

I plan to add some banners over the windows to help diffuse the lighting a bit and to try and get that glow. More updates will be coming tomorrow.

TNrVyj.jpg
  • njackson4190
    Here is my current progress. Finally happy with a layout. :) Took forever lol. Got in some basic lighting and pretty happy with it so far. Also got the throne chair blocked in.

My next plan of attack is to start making the more detailed pieces of the architecture and sculpt some details on the chair. Really hope I can finish in time.

m0lBod.jpg
    1Gd4uz.jpg
    sAXHRt.jpg
  • tac0m
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Scale looks pretty good to me. Good use of space to not clutter the scene. I'm really digging that bust of a bird and the staircases on each side. I assume the staircases represent the wings of the bird?? If so, very nice touch.

Critique:
    The first step of those curved stairs looks like quite the doozy. Might want to add another step in there. Or raise the floor up a bit.
  • Nheerph
    Looking really clean at the moment :) And I love how the banners are adding colour to the scene at the moment. Cool stuff so far!
  • polytom
    Offline / Send Message
    polytom polycounter lvl 4
    Wow.

Looking really good, early on :)
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Offline / Send Message
    Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking very nice. One crit from me is that the Throne does not look very imposing. Maybe you should make it a little bigger so that it is the focal point in the room?
  • WarrenM
    LOVE all the natural light, and the banners add a nice hit of color. Nice work!
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking awesome so far!! Can't wait to see more :)
  • njackson4190
    Did not have much time to work on this throughout the week. Spent the day sculpting this out to go at the base of the pillars. Still want to polish the wings a bit more but having a hard time reducing the sculpt/lumpiness. Anyone have any advice or know of a good brush to help reduce it?

So far I have been using the hpolish brush, trim brush, and occasionally the flatten brush.

I'll have some more updates coming tomorrow.

1hWjxs.jpg
    5j8Jx1.jpg
    7wTauY.jpg
  • njackson4190
    Got the low poly bird statues modeled and baked the normal/AO maps. Gonna work on the textures later as I still have a lot of props I still need to block in. Currently it has a temp bronze shader on it, but in the final version I'm thinking of keeping some of the bronze and making the wings a white marble.
    Realized today I also have a few scale issues with the steps that need to be fixed so I will taking care of those tomorrow if I have time.

KYm5Z9.jpg
    2MPid2.jpg
  • njackson4190
    I made some adjustments to the proportions of the stairs and room. I also decided to change the look of the throne. I think that the current shape works well with height and shape of the room. I also spent the day learning Substance Designer and made this marble texture for the floor.

c9Gc9d.jpg
    lp7hLC.jpg
  • arya-bagus
    Awesome! Can't wait to see more :)
  • njackson4190
    I decided to redo the roof since the old roof was not working with the architecture and the columns. I hope I have enough time to finish this. Luckily I have a three day weekend coming up so I hope to get a lot of work done.

My next plan of attack is to blend the vines into the ceiling and to start fleshing out the throne more and bringing the shapes together. Oh... and fix that bottom step.:)

I still have a whole heck of a lot of work to do. Hope to finish before the deadline. :poly122:

YruBPk.jpg
    qB53qH.jpg