Home Adobe Substance

How u make dem subz? Hands-on mini-tuts for making Substances

StormyBA
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
These threads have always been popular with the hard surface + texturing themes but I reckon it would also work really well with substance designer/painter.

So either post what your looking to make or some shots / explanations of your substance - might requite a little explanation on the image as to the process and what the graph is doing because the node names tend to be quite small.

I wouldn't want to put any rules on source images because its going to be really dependent on what the object is thats being made, IE a rusty hammer may well need a some mask images wile basic materials may well need less.

I'll start off with Car Paint - take note, there are two levels of spec, you have the broad high light of the paint coat then a tight highlight from the clear coat - Kinda thinking it would need two roughness outputs to get that kind of effect?! Not to fussed about colour

iStock_000003958257Large.jpg

Replies

• WarrenM
    This is a great idea for a thread! I know almost nothing about substance so I'm hoping to soak up some info here...
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Car paint is not really a texture thing, but more a shader thing. it requires mostly solid colors, save for some small noise. The trick is all in the dual-layer aspect of glossy clearcoat on rougher base coat.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Does substance have a modular shader system that lets you add or remove extra specular lobes and gloss inputs for said lobes at will?
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    artquest wrote: »
    Does substance have a modular shader system that lets you add or remove extra specular lobes and gloss inputs for said lobes at will?

You can write GLSL shaders for painter and GLSLFX for designer. Havent messed with GLSLFX but on the painter side, it was pretty well documented.
  • StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 8
    WarrenM wrote: »
    This is a great idea for a thread! I know almost nothing about substance so I'm hoping to soak up some info here...

Yea for sure - we have that kind of system set up in custom shades in unity for past projects. I think we have something along the lines of Base Colour, Spec Colour, Intensity + Clear Coat but was very curious if there was any way to get a similar setup put together in Substance.

It seems you can quite happily create either layer but having a combination of the two it does not want to deal with in its own view port shades but of course if you know what colour values you need ahead of time and how your textures are put together you can just create your custom output and not rely on the view port.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't recommend doing that kind of stuff in Substance, but rather in the engine it's going to end up in. You're trying to replicate something that already exists elsewhere anyway.
    It's only really worth creating a custom shader if you are doing tons of these (say cars for a racing game).
  • MeshMagnet
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend doing that kind of stuff in Substance, but rather in the engine it's going to end up in. You're trying to replicate something that already exists elsewhere anyway.
    It's only really worth creating a custom shader if you are doing tons of these (say cars for a racing game).

If your game engine uses the substance SDK then wouldn't it look very close? I understand there will always be differences between render engines due to tonemapping and hdrs not perfectly matching. But the difference might not be that notice-able. For instance naughty dog seems to have custom brdf nodes written for substance designer. It still helps to see something close to the final result as you author the textures.

On a side note, there is a car paint material in substance painter by default. Maybe check it out for reference?
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Excited to see this thread started :) been wondering when it would pop up.

And for the car paint, as far as the clear coat is concerned, from my experience you will want to handle that in the shader in engine.

What type of paint are you looking into making? Metallic, pearl? Or just something more basic?

Have you tried the multiple roughness/spec outputs? How did that turn out?