Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Forcing us to go the tourney route is half-assed solution. I avoid buying tourney tickets for sets or items because I don't watch tourneys and am only interested in the item. One can argue that I could always check the Steam Market for those items. Though almost always the items are sold at very high prices compared to getting them from a chest. One good example is Motenai's ember spirit blades which are so good but are very expensive on the market, far above price of a key, and we're only obtainable via a ticket.

All in all, DotA2 is being very picky with their selection process lately and only very few stuff making it in each month. Additionally, it seems Valve are pushing their own work via Arcana's as they released one each month so far and already more are on the way. Arguably, it would be less favourable to release a lot of cosmetics alongside an Arcana release.

All in all, the bottom line is something noone can deny, things have gotten much worse for DotA2 workshop artists.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    All in all, the bottom line is something noone can deny, things have gotten much worse for DotA2 workshop artists.

Things have gotten more balanced. Gone are the days where several hours of work can net you several thousand dollars. Most of the complaints I hear are people saying they have to do more and more, yet fail to compare the ammount of money they earn they work compared to artist working outside the workshop. The workshop is a fucking gold mine if you play your cards right. I'll tell you this, and maybe it's just me, but it's pure bullshit in my opinion to see one artist make upwards of a year salary of another artist in a eighth of the time for a tenth of the work.

Things tend to always work out as they're intended to in the end. :thumbup:
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    If I understood your post correctly, then you simply agree that more stuff should be accepted and thus spreading the revenue to the extent of balancing with artists outside the workshop. Though that was never my focus. As I was comparing last year to this year. We have much more high quality stuff being submitted but less stuff getting in. One can do the homework and compare both last and this year to find that is being the case. Now every other artists are resorting to giving up revenue by sticking their hard worked assets to tourneys and pro teams/players. It is like that Valve are happy to support as many tournaments and pro players but have cut back their support to artists. One can argue that Valve can support the game without the workshop. Well, with how TI4 went, maybe they can and thus leaving us, workshop artists, to be the least important part of the community that supports the game...

For the record, I continue to make stuff and working continously to improve my work because I like the art style and the theme. Many artists know that about me despite having almost nothing Ingame. I waiting each patch to see new hats being released and as a person who was completely against paying for cosmetics, working as a workshop artist made me appreciate the work being made and the value added by other workshop artists.

TL;DR: Valve have their own plans but so far, more quality stuff being submitted and less stuff released with time.

Sorry but I felt like venting this out somewhere and everyone is welcome to prove me otherwise. This isn't some challenge but hopefully spurs a healthy discussion.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I'm with Andrew on this one, the workshop is balanced. The only difference between how it was and how it is, is that there is now certain quality expected in the work. People now expect professional quality work, as they are paying for it.

I only have one set in, and I admit, it seems like it was a lot easier back then (2013) as there weren't many expectations. But now that there are pro's/studios putting in the effort to make great sets/items, those who are still learning, just have to catch up, and I'm ok with it.

The main reason why I started is to learn to make great in-game models. I actually admire that there are examples of professional quality work for me to see where I need to improve.

For tourneys teams/players, that shouldn't really make a difference. The popularity+chance of it getting in-game is still based on the quality of the set and the artwork.
  • Confrontation
    Offline / Send Message
    Confrontation polycounter lvl 9
    I finished my first Dota 2 item. It is an offhand double Hook.
    If you guys have critics or somethink pls let me know.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=320475124&searchtext=
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    For tourneys teams/players, that shouldn't really make a difference. The popularity+chance of it getting in-game is still based on the quality of the set and the artwork.

I find it's quite the opposite. Yes most of the team items are very well made, but there were quite a few that in my opinion were really sub-par. It feels like Valve wants more artist to collaborate and share their income with teams.
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Vovosunt wrote: »
    I find it's quite the opposite. Yes most of the team items are very well made, but there were quite a few that in my opinion were really sub-par. It feels like Valve wants more artist to collaborate and share their income with teams.

Yup! Especially the part on collaborating with other artists hits the nail on the head. :thumbup: You see more people working on items together that gets in than artists that goes solo.

Holy grail uncovered.
  • Hawt Koffee
  • Alexmozg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    Yup! Especially the part on collaborating with other artists hits the nail on the head. :thumbup: You see more people working on items together that gets in than artists that goes solo.

Holy grail uncovered.

I think you are confusing the matter.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hawt Did you just redo your set again?
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not sure that Valve changed their plans and are putting us, artists, aside on this journey after TI4. It was on TI4 that they finally invited some artists to be shown in public, talk to public, show their work and even spotlight them as we saw Anuxi and Vidotto on stream, talking about stuff. And even other channels interviewing a great number of artists.
    In the other hand, I agree that things are not being added so easily as it was on the past. Now you have many other artists to compete, in which, quality, is now the point that really matters. Every artist now has to improve, since the workshop level has improved, and yeah, thats life.
    What sucks, is that when they release new Arcanas, we have 2 months or so, of less workshop items being added. Techies Arcanas are still on Store's Spotlight, and now for Nevermore. If they release a new Arcana next month, lets wait until the year's end...
    And oh, about tournaments and proteams/players sets, yeah, it feels like working a lot for a small piece of your own job.

By the way, what do you feel fair for artists on these shares? I mean, we just do everything, and how much % should we get from total split??
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I feel the chest system is here because some of the sets just didn't sell well in the past; be it the lower quality or heroes popularity (mostly the latter). The chest/set system ensures you will still buy the sets you don't want if you aim for a particular set. This way while it's helping the unpopular heroes it's actually punishing the workshop artists because you won't actually get what you deserve (in $$) in the end. I can think of two ways to balance this; one would be giving the artists a share of the market sales like they announced once last year and another one could be actually selling the sets alone one month after they are released (maybe for a different price)

BTW anyone not getting the check this month? Valve always paid at the last day of the month but strangely I haven't gotten anything yesterday.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    marul wrote: »
    I feel the chest system is here because some of the sets just didn't sell well in the past; be it the lower quality or heroes popularity (mostly the latter). The chest/set system ensures you will still buy the sets you don't want if you aim for a particular set. This way while it's helping the unpopular heroes it's actually punishing the workshop artists because you won't actually get what you deserve (in $$) in the end. I can think of two ways to balance this; one would be giving the artists a share of the market sales like they announced once last year and another one could be actually selling the sets alone one month after they are released (maybe for a different price)

BTW anyone not getting the check this month? Valve always paid at the last day of the month but strangely I haven't gotten anything yesterday.

i'm pretty sure overall the chest sets are a lot better for everyone involved. sets didn't really get any advertising outside of the store banners, and some sets didn't get advertised there even if you made your own marketing shot. i definitely made a lot more with a chest set than i did with just the store based ones.

yeah there might be a few weaker sets every now and then, but the rare drops seem to boost sales a lot as well.

only thing i'm not sure about is whether rare drops in the paired chests get paid doubly, seems kinda arbitary if so but ehhh ... still increasin sales
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I teamed up with Team Empire and submitted Level 4 Tiny.
    Other Levels and weapon wil be uploaded soon!
    Hope you like it.

tiny_turntable.gif

i_l4_armsmall.jpgi_l4_arm.jpg
    i_l4_head.jpgi_l4_armor.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    @Hawt Did you just redo your set again?

Nexon wanted two versions, a regular one and special promo version.
  • ChiZ
    katzeimsack: Those rock textures are amazing, and the molten colors really pop from the depth you've given them. Really good stuff, and Tiny seems like so much work to complete a set for!

Finished my Legion Commander set last night, doing Ability Icons for the first time since nearly all of her icons feature elements of her standard set in them. Also included an alternate style helmet with the visor down.
    UXlUPFg.jpg

UwHxHmV.jpg
  • Har
    Offline / Send Message
    Har polycounter lvl 3
    Nice set ChiZ

I had already posted my Axe weapon model but since my account was'nt fully activated it just popped up 3 pages back, so here it is: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2145512&postcount=16546
    And here is the workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=318966149

Feedback is welcome :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing set again ChiZ would definitely use it on my LC.

I know you didnt ask for crits but if I could give you one crit for future sets, it would be to tone down your scratches a little bit. I had no idea you eere making this set when I saw it on the workshop but from the thumbnail alone I knew it was you just from the amount of scratches on the pieces.

Keep making awesome sets dude!
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    That LC set is pretty awesome. That helm and back piece specifically would look amazing with the Arcana blades.
  • ChiZ
    Thanks everybody, and I'm always open to criticism, as I'm still pretty new to this and learning every day! I really appreciate it, and I'll definitely work on that aspect of my detailing. :)
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Love the legion Chiz! Grants on the Summit 2 items guys!Looking forward to this event!

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/beyond-the-summits-the-summit-2-details-announced/1100-2242/
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    The Tiny set is solid. Can I just PayPal you the money for the set directly? It can stand on its own, the empire isn't needed. :thumbup:
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Somehow my tax information is deleted and so I didn't get any payments this month. The page says my tax information is incomplete because valve started to use a software for their taxing stuff. Has this been announced before and I missed?

Edit: ok I contacted finance and they replied very fast, they say that some "backfilling" needed to be done and it will be done in a week or two. Any new submissions will need the interview to be done though (whatever that is)
  • TommyTehZombie
    I got an email from them saying i had to update my banking information, and in doing so noticed it said my tax information was incomplete as well, was easy enough to take care of though.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    The Tiny set is solid. Can I just PayPal you the money for the set directly? It can stand on its own, the empire isn't needed. :thumbup:

Agreed this Tiny is so good that its sheer awesomeness should get it in, no team required, regardless, cant wait to see the rest of the levels!
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    marul wrote: »
    Somehow my tax information is deleted and so I didn't get any payments this month. The page says my tax information is incomplete because valve started to use a software for their taxing stuff. Has this been announced before and I missed?

Edit: ok I contacted finance and they replied very fast, they say that some "backfilling" needed to be done and it will be done in a week or two. Any new submissions will need the interview to be done though (whatever that is)

So we should not wait money soon?
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Does any have by any chance decompiled .smd animations for ward? Decompiling is such pain in the ass.
    Update: wow decompiler wasn't a bitch and did everything from second try.
  • MugenMcFugen

Just went to my bank, nothing yet. I guess Valve has to sort it out. :poly142:
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7

I think they now send the payments to another company and that company witholds the taxes and makes the payments to us. So i'm expecting the payment in a week or two (when Valve completes our tax information)
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or has the portrait view not been working for a while?
  • ChiZ
    That, and the model preview is stretched like +30% or so. I keep having to horizontally resize my preview screenshots so the characters won't look bloated.
  • TommyTehZombie
    Just submitted my Ursa set after sitting on it a while. Votes and crits welcome!

2SRUqGb.jpg
  • bladeshot
    Offline / Send Message
    bladeshot polycounter lvl 5
    Just submitted my Ursa set after sitting on it a while. Votes and crits welcome!

2SRUqGb.jpg

In my opinion you need to add more details. For example bright patterns on armor. Right now set looks a little bit plain.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    and some gradients, right now all pieces have the same brightness. The arms would for example benefit from a gradient form the elbow to the claws.
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Great job guys!!!
    Here is sneak peek of our animation:
    6sww1Do.gif
  • StuBurrito
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    @katzeimsack - Tiny is looking great

@Kraken - That courier textures are fantastic. As far as the animation I feel like the body would have a lot more "drag" . Especially being supported by only the ear flaps
  • brianchenito
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    bigif.gif
    So I finally got around to finishing this courier.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    So I know there was a discussion on this before, but I cannot remember the answer or where it was -_-. Alpha channels, were they active for all heroes or just some? If it is only some, the hero in question is Witch Doctor.
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    It used to be only for some, I'm pretty sure it's for all heroes now.
  • Prosomogy
  • cottonwings
    bigif.gif
    So I finally got around to finishing this courier.

We all need tapirs in our lives. <3
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Prosomogy wrote: »
    is it joke or what?:\ there is no name of item=\ or did they want to add something and change their mind?

your Omni set was in the schema http://tf2b.com/updates/dota/1412296000
  • Prosomogy
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Prostomogy Its clearly about omni as there are 6 mails and omni has 5 parts + loading screen. My Sherlock skills don't lie :D
  • Prosomogy
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
    Sniper set update, I'm starting to work on the textures. Most of my attention is going into the colour maps at the minute, I've got some of the masks painted mainly the rim lights. The spec colour values from the vmt look way too blue to be me but I'll get a better idea when I test it in source.

I normally find getting the colour scheme right the hardest part so if anyone has any thoughts for improvements it would be really appreciated.

RjWf7pI.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Toby that is awesome! The only color that really feels off to me or unfitting is his cape. It also might benefit from adding a slight trim or whatnot (stitches perhaps?). The eyes also feel a bit abrupt where the yellow just appears directly over the helm. Is there any way you can 'seat' them into the helm, some kind of transition (however slight).

Otherwise I really dig it!
  • foxclover
    tumblr_ncxpfbioxv1qldegpo6_1280.jpg

0RjDaAc.png

Finished another set: The Rubyback Spinner, a set for our favorite spidey. Still learning and working on our 3D, but hopefully enjoy! :D Please check it out, or upvote if you're interested:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=322375427

Thanks for looking! <3
  • ChiZ
    Can't get enough of that gem! It's a great idea and it looks amazing. :)
    Also really nice use of negative space on the legs, it's really catchy from above!