Home Marmoset

Marmoset Toolbag 2 | Feedback & Suggestions

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's certainly do-able, not sure how i can prioritize it just yet though. But i do like the idea!

Framing guides would be good to consider if/when we get around to some sort of safe frame feature.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Hello,
    It would be nice if it's possible:
    To lock a camera position, for a validating process of updating a model in time (to keep exactly the same shot).
    To lock the field of view of a Camera, to zap from several 3d package I sometimes make mistakes navigation.
    Cheer!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter wrote: »
    Hello,
    It would be nice if it's possible:
    To lock a camera position, for a validating process of updating a model in time (to keep exactly the same shot).
    To lock the field of view of a Camera, to zap from several 3d package I sometimes make mistakes navigation.
    Cheer!

This is something I would like to see as well, I've added another vote for it to our suggestion list here and I'll try to pester our engineers to get it in. Thanks for the feedback.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i encountered a problem where when i imported heavy geometry into marmoset, while it remained stable for the duration of the session and saved out a (huge) scene file it failed to load that back in with an error prompt. that shouldn't happen.

ok, perhaps i should decimate the meshes next time, too. ;)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thomasp, is that an issue you're having in 2.06? that bug should have been squashed in this release...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    hi gir, no it is a 2.05 issue actually. i confess i am generally not a 0-day upgrader.

sounds awesome if this is resolved in the new version! will the application load those files now or will it warn before saving something it would be unable to read back in?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I can confirm that this is something that is fixed in the new release. However, I am not sure if huge files saved in 2.05 will load up in 2.06, you'll have to try that out.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    Not sure if this is intended, but I'm currently working on a scene with terrain and buildings etc, and when I import the scene into MT2 the positions gets offset. Even when I place the pivot in the origo before exporting, everything ends up in the center of the world in MT. I think the expected behavior is a mirror of what you have in Max/maya no?

Material ID support would be nice. Detaching stuff isn't always very convenient..
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Please don't have camera grain enabled by default.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo wrote: »
    Not sure if this is intended, but I'm currently working on a scene with terrain and buildings etc, and when I import the scene into MT2 the positions gets offset. Even when I place the pivot in the origo before exporting, everything ends up in the center of the world in MT. I think the expected behavior is a mirror of what you have in Max/maya no?

Material ID support would be nice. Detaching stuff isn't always very convenient..

Could you tell me which file format you're using? If obj, could you try FBX, and vice versa?

Also if you could upload a test file for us to debug that would be helpful as well.

Thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Please don't have camera grain enabled by default.

Grain helps to reduce banding in smooth gradients, so it is unlikely that we will change the default behavior. More here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138707
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I'd love to have the ability to click on the skybox in the viewport and place a light similarly to how you can place sky lights when you click on the sky in the scene hierarchy.

I'd also like to have a skybox preview zoom so I can place lights more precisely. That Italy sky pack has some great night scenes that would make for fantastic lighting if I could place lights based on some of the smaller lights in the skybox.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Grain helps to reduce banding in smooth gradients, so it is unlikely that we will change the default behavior. More here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138707
    Fair enough. I'd still really like to be able to set my own startup defaults though.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough. I'd still really like to be able to set my own startup defaults though.

Yeah, this I can get behind. I was actually thing about this just a bit ago, if we added a default scene system, you could save all the common stuff you usually set up when you start a new scene, including post effects, but even lights, meshes and materials if you wanted to.

Would this solve the issue for you?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Yeah something like that would be great. I always forget to disable grain and I often want to use the same sky anyway, so it'd be handy to be able to set certain defaults.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I'd love to have the ability to click on the skybox in the viewport and place a light similarly to how you can place sky lights when you click on the sky in the scene hierarchy.

I'd also like to have a skybox preview zoom so I can place lights more precisely. That Italy sky pack has some great night scenes that would make for fantastic lighting if I could place lights based on some of the smaller lights in the skybox.

great suggestions and these are things i'd really like to see as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah something like that would be great. I always forget to disable grain and I often want to use the same sky anyway, so it'd be handy to be able to set certain defaults.

Ok cool, this is something we may add at some point, not sure when as we've got a lot on the todo list here but its an idea I like as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp wrote: »
    great suggestions and these are things i'd really like to see as well.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if this is a bug or a feature.

If you add sky lights and then change them to either spot or omni, they are not deleted if you switch skies. If you change them back to directional lights and then switch to another sky, the are deleted.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    A couple of quick suggestions(I quickly read through the thread but might have missed something):

- Archive
    Similar 3DS Max's archival feature. Hit archive and it zips all meshes, textures, and scene settings into a single file for easy transferring.

- Material Browser
    I really like the ease of use with the mesh browser. Unfortunately, the material browser looks kinda clunky next to it. Any way to organize multiple materials (I have 30+ in one scene at the moment) into a directory structure like the mesh browser would be amazing.

Cheers!
  • tach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would it be possible to add color correction based on the depth and scale of the scene? I'm talking about this kind of color correction: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eFmikeRQ3qE/UXVtcs1sIbI/AAAAAAAACZM/n4RHEuoY8uU/s1600/DepthColor.jpg
  • allaze-eroler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allaze-eroler polycounter lvl 11
    I have a question and I'm not sure if it's already asked so, there:

Any plan for a node tree system for texture like UDK4 or 3ds max does? that would be really fantastic ! :D
  • RobertH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently when you want to zoom, pan or rotate in the viewport you need to hold the ALT key down while clicking one of the mouse buttons. I'd like to see this work without the ALT key (as long as you are click on the background and not an object)... Thanks!
  • RobertH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would love to see SpaceNavigator 3D mouse support. Any plans for adding this?
  • RobertH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a question. How do you resize the UI? I was messing around in the viewport with the UI turned off, when I turned it back on the UI was about 1/3 of the original size. Can't figure out how to get it back. Thanks?
  • Lulufinder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Multi-tile (Mari UDIM, etc.) texture support similar to the way maya 2015 handles it would be awesome. I work in VFX so I know it's a lot less common in game engines but I'm intrigued by the idea of using Marmoset as a look dev tool.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonzo wrote: »
    A couple of quick suggestions(I quickly read through the thread but might have missed something):

- Archive
    Similar 3DS Max's archival feature. Hit archive and it zips all meshes, textures, and scene settings into a single file for easy transferring.

- Material Browser
    I really like the ease of use with the mesh browser. Unfortunately, the material browser looks kinda clunky next to it. Any way to organize multiple materials (I have 30+ in one scene at the moment) into a directory structure like the mesh browser would be amazing.

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions.
    tach wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add color correction based on the depth and scale of the scene? I'm talking about this kind of color correction: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eFmikeRQ3qE/UXVtcs1sIbI/AAAAAAAACZM/n4RHEuoY8uU/s1600/DepthColor.jpg

This is likely possible, however unless we get a lot of people asking for it its unlikely we will add it. Now, we will likely add some sort of render pass functionality at some point in the future, which would allow you to achieve the same sort of effect in photoshop. Thanks for the suggestion!
    I have a question and I'm not sure if it's already asked so, there:

Any plan for a node tree system for texture like UDK4 or 3ds max does? that would be really fantastic ! :D

We don't have any official plans for adding a node based material editor at this time, but I will add another vote for this feature on our suggestion list, thanks.
    RobertH wrote: »
    Currently when you want to zoom, pan or rotate in the viewport you need to hold the ALT key down while clicking one of the mouse buttons. I'd like to see this work without the ALT key (as long as you are click on the background and not an object)... Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion.
    RobertH wrote: »
    I would love to see SpaceNavigator 3D mouse support. Any plans for adding this?

We do not have any official plans at this time, we may consider adding support if there is a lot of interest for it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Lulufinder wrote: »
    Multi-tile (Mari UDIM, etc.) texture support similar to the way maya 2015 handles it would be awesome. I work in VFX so I know it's a lot less common in game engines but I'm intrigued by the idea of using Marmoset as a look dev tool.

Thanks for the suggestion, we would like to see Toolbag 2 get more traction as a look dev tool as well. Do you have any more information on Mari's UDIM feature? Do you know if there is there a freely available SDK or anything like that?
  • Lulufinder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome!

UDIM is really just a texture naming convention used to describe what UV tile a texture should be associated with. For example, say you wanted to lay out the UVs on a vehicle but were finding that packing all of your shells into the traditional 0-1 tile wasn't giving you enough resolution even with an 8K map. To solve this, you can take your shells and spread them across multiple tiles ( in this case, moving horizontally in U), so that each shell gets more pixel resolution. Each tile would receive a separate texture map. So if you had 3 separate tiles for this vehicle's diffuse, UDIM would name them as :

vehicleDiffuse.1001.tif,
    vehicleDiffuse.1002.tif
    vehicleDiffuse.1003.tif

1001 being your standard 0-1 with each increment moving horizontally in U. If you need more than 10 tiles your 11th tile would reset in U back to 0 but increase by 1 in V and so on. In your UV texture editor, that 11th tile would be sitting right above 0-1 as the start of a new row of 10. I'm probably making it sound more complicated than it actually is...

I think this blog post describes it pretty well :

http://bneall.blogspot.com/p/udim-guide.html

And there's some more information here:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/udim-uv-mapping/

As far as an SDK goes, I'm not really sure.. but it seems like it may not be necessary. Mudbox and ZBrush both have their own multi-tile naming conventions too and there are tools out there that will freely convert from one to another and all it's doing is changing the file name.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    You might be able to get some help from the Amplify Texture authors. http://amplify.pt/unity/amplify-texture/ And take a look at the Siggraph course on megatexturing techniques too: https://cesiumjs.org/massiveworlds/

If you had an OpenGL 4.4 renderer you could load ARB_sparse_texture and it would probably increase performance quite a bit...but I could understand not wanting to do that because OS X support is your primary reason for having an OpenGL renderer at all, and it could be forever before they get to 4.4. As for UDIMs, they're just a particularly simple naming scheme for different UV tiles that a texture can cover. The name UDIM stands for "U dimension", or the number of UV tiles in the U direction where the renderer will look for UV coordinates for loaded texture tiles. A while ago, the U dimension was standardized to ten, meaning that renderers can read up to ten tiles in the U direction before the V tile value has to be incremented. Basically this means that your UV space gets divided like this:

cHfqYUx.png

It's easier to parse than, say, the Mudbox naming scheme for multi-tile UVs, though it would possibly be beneficial to support both.

If you need info on Mari's specific implementation details you could try sending a PM to the guy who wrote it of course. But ultimately all you need to do is support rendering multi-tile UV textures with a couple of different naming schemes. Probably your biggest hurdle is going to be making loading and iteration times acceptable. You might be able to alleviate that somewhat by accessing the Mari project files or cache directly, but obviously Jack would be a lot more help with that than I would since he wrote the thing.

Food for thought, I hope :) and good luck!
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    What about having sky rotation (and possibly mesh rotation/position) optionally tied to certain cameras?

So when I set up 3 cameras around an asset I can switch between each camera without having to change the sky position back to what gives the best results from that angle. Perhaps you could also have the child sky lights parented under the camera that was active when they were placed.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    here's one that i suppose may have come up already but it's a pretty basic workflow issue for a team - you have your scene all setup, then the lead passes on a new scene file with changed lighting settings to merge your stuff into.

would have been easy in toolbag 1 since it stored the meshes and materials as separate files, whereas in toolbag 2 you're looking at exporting all your materials from your old scene one by one but have no way to transfer the geometry likewise and will have to go back to the DCC app for that.

can't we just have the .mesh (?) and materials files back? :)
    most flexible way IMO for complex scenes.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What about having sky rotation (and possibly mesh rotation/position) optionally tied to certain cameras?

So when I set up 3 cameras around an asset I can switch between each camera without having to change the sky position back to what gives the best results from that angle. Perhaps you could also have the child sky lights parented under the camera that was active when they were placed.

One thing I've wanted to see for a while is support for multiple skies in the same scene, this way you could set up each sky for each camera angle and just toggle on/off visibility. Do you think that would be suitable for your needs?

Having sky rotation tied to specific cameras would likely require reworking/thinking about how a variety of systems work so probably less likely.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    here's one that i suppose may have come up already but it's a pretty basic workflow issue for a team - you have your scene all setup, then the lead passes on a new scene file with changed lighting settings to merge your stuff into.

would have been easy in toolbag 1 since it stored the meshes and materials as separate files, whereas in toolbag 2 you're looking at exporting all your materials from your old scene one by one but have no way to transfer the geometry likewise and will have to go back to the DCC app for that.

Yeah, I feel your pain. What about some sort of merge scene function, would that be useful for you?

I suppose we may need to add some sort of preset mesh type system in the future as we push to make Toolbag more friendly for really complex environments, but I'm not sure how any of that would work and honestly we're just not there yet.
    can't we just have the .mesh (?) and materials files back? :)
    most flexible way IMO for complex scenes.
    Hehe, if only it was as simple as that. :poly124: Its unlikely that we will ever go back to the TB1 sort of scene management where all meshes and materials are stored elsewhere (too many benefits for most common use cases with the current system), but again maybe an external preset mesh feature at some point.
  • jgreasley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm happy to help out with any questions you've got about Tiled layouts or Udims.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Yeah, I feel your pain. What about some sort of merge scene function, would that be useful for you?

I suppose we may need to add some sort of preset mesh type system in the future as we push to make Toolbag more friendly for really complex environments, but I'm not sure how any of that would work and honestly we're just not there yet.

Hehe, if only it was as simple as that. :poly124: Its unlikely that we will ever go back to the TB1 sort of scene management where all meshes and materials are stored elsewhere (too many benefits for most common use cases with the current system), but again maybe an external preset mesh feature at some point.

merge scene would actually be really useful as long as it opens a window where you can select which elements you want merged.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    One thing I've wanted to see for a while is support for multiple skies in the same scene, this way you could set up each sky for each camera angle and just toggle on/off visibility. Do you think that would be suitable for your needs?
    Hm. Well if you can have the same sky multiple times, that should work. That would also have the benefit of using the same cameras over multiple skies while being able to keep your (sky specific) sky child lights.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    we need a separate shader and lighting setup only for skin and character
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    we need a separate shader and lighting setup only for skin and character

Could you maybe elaborate on this a little? Currently you can control what's skin and what's not with the alpha channel of the subdermis map, is this not enough control? and if not, what other controls would you like to see?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We created a tutorial that covers character setup, including the skin shader, hair, and lighting techniques for character presentation as well, that might be of use. Check it out here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-setup
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    got around to testing my oculus rift with toolbag 2 the other day. just wanted to say THANKS for implementing oculus support the way you did this time over the solution available in toolbag 1. finally no need to have the rift recognized as such by the system means i can just have it mirror one of my monitors which is the flexible solution.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi Joe, putting in my 2015 feature requests:
    1. Fix the jaggy shadows, I have tonnes of video memory on my card, just give me the ability to crank the shadow map res, or implement cascades.

2. Still need a refraction material for glass/water, can't do architectural renders without it.

3. Need depth fog, can't do any realistic looking scenes without it.

4. Need references inside toolbag so you don't have to delete the object and reapply the materials each time you change something in Maya.

5. Can you make it so when I update a texture it reloads even if Toolbag isn't in focus, right now I have to alt tab to toolbag even though I have two monitors and toolbag is full screen on the second monitor.

5. Need film gate so you can see what you are about to render rather than having to align the camera somewhat blind and hit space bar constantly.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    5. Need film gate so you can see what you are about to render rather than having to align the camera somewhat blind and hit space bar constantly.

This is something I'd love to see as well. It'd be even better if it also had crop settings for different aspect ratios, crosshairs, and guide lines for things like rule of thirds.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, as always thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try to touch on a few points here:

1. Shadow quality, unfortuantely it's not as simple as upping the shadow resolution, the problem is a lot more complex than that and will likely require major reworking to significantly improve quality. This may happen at some point, but definitely more of a long term thing.

2. Refraction, yeah, this needs to be a thing! Unfortunately its a large technical challenge to actually do it well. We could theoretically throw in a basic implementation but it would bring a bunch of new problems, mostly relating to sorting. This is something that will require a lot of research, so we don't have short term plans for getting it in.

3. Fog is being worked on atm, not sure when it will be ready though, could be in as early as 2.07.

4. References are a good idea, this is something we may look into in the future as we try to push for tools that are more friendly for larger, more complex environments.

5. Safe frame is one of my most wanted features as well, hopefully we can get that in sooner rather than later, but I don't have an ETA for that feature at this point.
  • almighty_gir
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    X7uW9Ab.png

Lol...
    that puts it in perspective :poly122:
    ouch
  • Jean-Pascal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Marmoset currently automaticaly reload a texture when the file is updated.
    It would be fantastic if the obj/fbx were updating as well.

I'm currently working on hair for my model, and I use marmoset to do all my previz.... and since this feature isn't implemented, I need to reimport a new mesh everytime I had a few hair cards which really slow down the process.

I hope this will be considered in an upcoming update. Keep up the awesome work! :)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    What's the trick to get the texture to reload. I have to alt tab and make the toolbag window in focus to reload the texture, super slow and annoying.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, i would like to bring up what i think is a bug with the Dota 2 Shader in Toolbag 2.06.
    Pretty much what happens is that the specular exponent channel (alpha of mask 2), blurs out skylight reflections, but not area lights, resulting in a always super glossy material. I tested the same thing on a default material and as i would expect, the area light reflection gets blurred out together with all the rest of the cubemap reflections.
    I hope this can be fixed soon, and if someone knows a walk-around solution, please let me know :)

kn06V17.png
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm wrote: »
    What's the trick to get the texture to reload. I have to alt tab and make the toolbag window in focus to reload the texture, super slow and annoying.

There isn't a trick unfortunately, the window does need focus for the texture to update. Hopefully we can change this in a future update.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai wrote: »
    Hi, i would like to bring up what i think is a bug with the Dota 2 Shader in Toolbag 2.06.
    Pretty much what happens is that the specular exponent channel (alpha of mask 2), blurs out skylight reflections, but not area lights, resulting in a always super glossy material. I tested the same thing on a default material and as i would expect, the area light reflection gets blurred out together with all the rest of the cubemap reflections.
    I hope this can be fixed soon, and if someone knows a walk-around solution, please let me know :)

Hey, I'm almost certain this was fixed, but you'll need to manually install the updated shader. You can find more info here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143558

Let me know if you have the same problem with the updated Dota shader.