Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Necrolyte - TBD

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
Current Progress:

necropresentationfinal2.jpg

First Post:

Really want to try an cram this set in before the deadline, haven't seen much for Necro so hopefully I can do him some justice. Here is the concepts I have so far. The weapon for Infested and helm of plagued are kinda place holders, would need to modify them a bit if I were to go that direction. I tried to base these off the short lore description of him.

frontconcept.png

Replies

• naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    1 with a different hat, or 3 with something else to contrast and separate the shapes in the helm and shoulders.
  • Okoo
    Hi, yep, the #1 with a different hat could be awesome.

Overall, all your concept are nice!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for your input both of you :). I was already working on some concepts more and I came up with this combination of plague and infested. It's a little chaotic on here but I think it would look good in 3D. I'll try an come up with something for the soul keeper sets head slot. The weapon also needs quite a bit of refining.

frontconcept2.png
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright so I finished concepting the Soul Keeper set...I hope. It's a pain to come up with good helms for this guy, but I am happy enough with this one. Need to get modeling soon, have spent to much time concepting...It's hard to just settle on a design :poly127:

frontconcept3.png
  • ShadowThanatos
    I hope you can finish your work in time, since Nec really needs some loves.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes he does lol, I'll have sculpts up soon.
  • Sirot
    I like the idea of this set! I don't like the chain connecting the two shoulder pieces though, it may have clipping issues with his current beard or other beard-items people have made.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished sculpting the shoulders and head piece. The cloth looking thing hanging over his back and arms will have tattered edges in the final piece. As of right now I'm not sure if the soul lantern on his back will actually work in game. The design also changed a little in 3D, usually does as I tend to work better in 3D with organic pieces.
    Will have the weapon done by tomorrow, hope I can finish this set in time.

@Sirot: Yeah I ended up getting rid of them right away. Didn't realize how far his beard stuck out.

bprrenderarmor.png
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Lookin' good! Can't wait to see how this one turns out!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message

Another shot as the head piece is hard to see in the last.

bustrender.png
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Not sure that chain on the helmet is working. In general I'm not a big fan of the helmet, but I am digging the hell out of everything else.
  • Sirot
    Could you extend the helmet to cover his eyes again? I am wondering if that would improve the look of it.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I totally agree with you guys on the head piece. It has been really bugging me, probably going to go with something like this. Not for sure if I will go with horns or not, will have to see how it looks in 3D.

frontconcept4.png
  • Sirot
    I like the V1 skull mask, reminds me a little bit of the skull on the original Necromancer model from Warcraft 3.

A notable problem with the original helmet is that it was a too tall in 3D, even though it seemed fine in the drawings. I guess it just didn't translate well.
  • ShadowThanatos
    I like the V2 mask, it would be weird for the 1st one since Nec will talk and the upper teeth of that mask would make it looks...arkwark.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your input :)

Finished up the sculpting finally. Decided to get rid of most the chains as I felt it made things to chaotic. Also changed the back area a bit, decided to go with two plagued arms holding the lantern. Hopefully this will all transfer well to the low poly and animation.

Edit: He has a high polycount for shoulders, but I'm not sure at this point if I will be able to fit the lantern in. So that may get cut.

bprrenderarmornew.png
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Dude this looks awesome! I really love the new helmet! :D
  • ShadowThanatos
    I really like the little lantern on his back and he looks like a Grim Reaper now.

The end (the tail or whatever) of the weapon is underwhelming to me. His Death Pulse animation is slamming his Scythe on the ground and I think a curved tail might be impractical for him to do so (unless VALVe changes the animation like they did with Windrunner's weapons, considering if this set will make it into the game).
  • Sirot
    This looks amazing! Great work!

I think the curved end on the scythe should be fine for the Death Pulse animation, but I agree on the scythe looks a little off on its "tail".

While the lantern is very charming, I'd rather have it go then having the shoulders suffer for it.

EDIT: Make the hood match the colour of his robes for consistency. It'll make for easier mix-and-matching with other sets for the sake of variety!
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, hopefully I can keep the lantern.
    @: Sirot, I will do that. Safer to just stick closer to his default color pallete.

One last idea I had was making the hanging cloth parts full of trapped souls to go along with the theme better. The 3 pieces will be using the same UVs, so I think it may work from a texture standpoint. Also I will probably remove the teeth from the shoulder skulls as I think they are unnecessary.
    Wish I had another week to refine this concept, always want to keep reworking and trying new ideas. Going to have to cram pretty hard to get this finished in time :poly122:.

Edit: As far as the staff animation goes, I will leave that for them to deal with :)
    bustrender2.png
  • Drywall
    That sculpt looks pretty tight!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    such clean sculpting! The real trick is to pull off all them details without it looking noisy!

Goodluck mate!
  • Sirot
    I think the skulls in the clothe will be too small to be visible in-game, and in my (possibly/probably flawed opinion), it makes the whole thing look too busy. Especially on the clothe that is hanging off the shoulder armor.

EDIT: Hopefully you get this set done before the deadline! I joined the forums just to comment on it ^_^
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Go go go you have plenty of time, you don't need to sleep!!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Konras wrote: »
    Go go go you have plenty of time, you don't need to sleep!!

I agree sleep is for the weak, just kidding.

Looks nice can't wait to see more.:thumbup:
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot everyone! Really motivating. Unfortunately I ran into some issues with the poly limit so I ended up redesigning the back with a better lantern. Got rid of the skull cloth as suggested as well. :)
    I literally just finished this an published it with screen shots in order to meet the deadline, I can't believe how hard I had to cram in order to get this set done. Wish I had more time, as I did the textures in a few hours....need sleep.

Anyway this is the view port shots I have, I've stared at it for to many hours on end now to know how it turned out. I'll get some beauty shots up soon.

Edit: I would of posted my progress sooner but I had no free time to and finished this 15 minutes before the deadline >.<

viewportshots.png
  • Naso
    Looking really good, glad you finished it before the dead line

/cough cough, 1 more week extension valve
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    view port composite

Edit: Dang...the handle straps don't stand out enough >.<

viewportcomp.jpg
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright got the presentation done. This contest was a lot of fun, but I am glad to be done...

necropresentationfinal2.jpg
  • Sirot
    Looking great! I wish you had more time, but I can't argue with the results that much.

Would it be possible to get some in-game shots of the set? : D

/super demanding
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I will try an get the set in game. Have yet to try it since it is apparently a pain.

Steam Workshop

Edit: Updated the name to be more fitting
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking pretty sick! Way to go!
  • ]|[mmortal
    I'm not sure if you're still editing this, I think this could be put in game with the right adjustments, I noticed you removed the chain between the two shoulders in the back, I really thought that looked nice, also more contrast? Once the textures were colored and put on they didn't seem to be defined enough to see the great previous detail you put in. Also there are only 3 pieces made.. This makes the set seem less its own when put on, the rest is still the default, I suggest adding arm parts, and in the faces on the shoulders maybe a darker green? Also the last two pictures at the end of the first page were REALLY good, I'm not sure why you deleted the soul design. Uhm also the scythe I think needs more of a blend with rest of set, so maybe gem shards engraved or infused or implanted into the blade same color as the armor. also a lower armor would add allot more of a whole set feel, so more armor, another piece for waist/lower.
  • ]|[mmortal
    I'm not sure if you're still editing this, I think this could be put in game with the right adjustments, I noticed you removed the chain between the two shoulders in the back, I really thought that looked nice, also more contrast? Once the textures were colored and put on they didn't seem to be defined enough to see the great previous detail you put in. Also there are only 3 pieces made.. This makes the set seem less its own when put on, the rest is still the default, I suggest adding arm parts, and in the faces on the shoulders maybe a darker green? Also the last two pictures at the end of the first page were REALLY good, I'm not sure why you deleted the soul design. Uhm also the scythe I think needs more of a blend with rest of set, so maybe gem shards engraved or infused or implanted into the blade same color as the armor. also a lower armor would add allot more of a whole set feel, so more armor, another piece for waist/lower.
  • ]|[mmortal
    I'm not sure if you're still editing this, I think this could be put in game with the right adjustments, I noticed you removed the chain between the two shoulders in the back, I really thought that looked nice, also more contrast? Once the textures were colored and put on they didn't seem to be defined enough to see the great previous detail you put in. Also there are only 3 pieces made.. This makes the set seem less its own when put on, the rest is still the default, I suggest adding arm parts, and in the faces on the shoulders maybe a darker green? Also the last two pictures at the end of the first page were REALLY good, I'm not sure why you deleted the soul design. Uhm also the scythe I think needs more of a blend with rest of set, so maybe gem shards engraved or infused or implanted into the blade same color as the armor. also a lower armor would add allot more of a whole set feel, so more armor, another piece for waist/lower. Hope your stil working on it.