Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio review

Hey guys i need some critique on my site and get other perspectives on it. anything ya guys can come up with to help improve it would be awesome.

http://asguardviking.wix.com/langenesjesse

Thanks for looking

Replies

• Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Too much text, too few images.

You are wasting insane amounts of polygons.
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Snader wrote: »
    Too much text, too few images.

You are wasting insane amounts of polygons.

Thanks for the reply! I do see what you mean on the images, The meshes have to many polys?
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    If the polygon doesn't effect the sillhoette remove it. Also nobody cares about your words all they care about are images.
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    The site is pretty poor. I'd either recommend switching to a single page gallery site, or a thumbnail layout of your work that then links to individual pages that simply contain renders of the work. I'd recommend switching to Weebly or Wordpress if you're going to go the free route instead of paying for your own domain and hosting.

AS far as the actual work itself goes, I'd highly recommend updating and refining a lot of it. Like others have said you're wasting a lot of polys. In addition, your textures could use a lot of work. For example your shields have pretty sloppy diffuse and the materials don't read properly. This seems to be the case with most of your models. I'd recommend working on some new weapons or props. Especially ones that have a much better profile as Nordic Shields and swords etc are pretty boring. I'd also practice texturing different materials and pushing your materials through the spec maps etc. Racer had a fantastic tutorial he made a while back that goes over texturing and the importance of specular and gloss maps when it comes to showing off different materials. The tutorial video is at the bottom of the page, though I recommend reading through all the text. http://www.oesterkilde.dk/racer445.php
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Thanks for the responses guys! I do appreciate the harsh crit's.

Tristan I do see what you mean by the textures, The bearded axe is my newest piece and i have gotten much better from the swords and shields. I have the site you linked open and i will get to work on it thanks for shearing the information to me! Oh and the reason i went with the sword and shield profile is i was wanting to make a real life weapons mod for skyrim ones that my ancestors would of used. So i didn't go the interesting fantasy route.

Ill see what i can do about the layout of the webpage and thanks again for the responses guys.
  • kwshipman
    Offline / Send Message
    kwshipman polycounter lvl 9
    Thought id cover some stuff on your building. You have a decent start, but several things jumped out at me. Here is a super fast (and pretty rough) paintover:
    paintover_anim.gif

paintover_w_notes.jpg

1) the shingles should be the same size. the shingles on the lower roof are way too small.

2)break up the silhouette on the roof, and break it up from ever angle. so the top roof line, as well as from the side. several ways you can do this. add few simple boxs the size of a shingle that are angled slightly, as if those shingles are warped. or cut in rows of shingles. This gives some examples: Roof tutorial

3) alter the shape of your pillars. The shouldn't be perfect cylinders. from your wire frame, you have plenty of geometry, just go in and move points a little to give them some variation.

4) these corners looks awkward. think about how these logs are coming together and what the construction would be like. do something like having the end cuts exposed and sticking out, or a beam that they logs are stuck into. Also helps break up the silhouette.

5) I'd recommend modeling out the vertical and diagonal beams. on ground level i'd also recommend modeling out the horizontal beams if the player can walk up to it.

6) same as 2, add a little extra geometry to break up the silhouette

7) I dont fully understand this cut. is it damage, a chimney, skylight? try to add something to help define its purpose.

8) consider some more geometry here as well, not critical, but anything to help push the silhouette is valuable

Also, doors, windows? is this a personal house, or a shop, or a pub? add some details to tell the story of this building. maybe a sign, or carvings in the pillars, paint on spots to add color, etc.

you say that you are at 1k poly, so dont be afraid of adding a LOT more poly's if you are targeting current gen game quality. (as long as they are used wisely).

Hopefully that was helpful and not too much, i tend to be long winded.
  • North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Abandon Wix. Its too hard to navigate. What exactly are your goals with this site? If one of those goals is getting hired by ___ studio, I think your site is going to put people off immediately. Also the first (tiny) image I see is of that house, and upon further investigation it doesnt look like you used Zbrush at all. If you did, post that sculpt instead of the low poly from Zbrush.

Your 'about' section really bugs me. Especially this quote:

'Listening to and growing from critiques is definitely part of my process and always makes my stuff better.'

I'm not buying it.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    BIGGER images on a FEW pages...
    If your looking for a quick website layout wise check out http://carbonmade.com Its what I use, and its really easy to use.
  • Zyloh
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    To be fair, wix is not bad for portfolios because it allows a ton of customization. I think the critiques being given are valid when it comes to larger images, etc.

The thing with wix is you have to find a layout, or build one yourself that really flows and is easy to navigate. You want to sell your work. First impressions are important. I would not mind seeing texture flats as well. :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Noooooo, Wix is terrible.

It's perfectly fine if you're a professional and people know your name, but if you're starting out, you need a site that will show big pictures, with the least clicks possible right off the bat, and the pictures are big enough that if they see it later on, even without the enlarged version.

However, catch-22 is, if you're a professional, you will be using something else, or even hiring someone to make your site for you.

If Wix can be customized to look like, for example, Carbonmade, then yeah, it is a valid choice, but considering I have yet to see a single person make Wix look easy and quick to read right off the bat on an average HD screen, it's not the highest rated in my books.
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    kwshipman-

Thank you very much for taking the time to make the detailed images you did! I really like the roof tutorial, I was under the now false impression that i couldn't ad those polys for it would be to much. But now i know otherwise thanks so much i do agree with all the improvements you spoke of and will change them as soon as i can. The hole in the building ( Oh and it is a viking longhouse for living and celebrating in ) is for the smoke to exit out from the fire pit below it. It was VERY helpful and opened my eyes to it more thanks!

North-

I do agree with what you said of the site, and i used zbrush for the texture painting. I make the longhouse like... eight months ago i haven't been able to get back to it. I do agree with posting the high poly pics, and about my about page i haven't posted much of anything on here for you to know if that is true or not. I get it all from class mates and professors so you couldn't possibly know if i do or not... ya don't need to be a jerk-off about something as unimportant as an about page.

Jet_Pilot-

I do agree and i like what i see on that site ill give it a go thanks!

Zyloh, Ace--

I appreciate the comments, i do agree wix isn't the best unless ya find a good layout or can make it up yourselves it was the only one i knew of. Ill try carbonate and ill post the results.

Thanks again for the responses everyone i have learned a lot, especially the two tutorial links they are very good.