Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Art Dump (Picture Heavy)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
So, I already posted a thread a little while ago about my portfolio for the MIGS Career Fair, etc. I got a lot of comments on my actual website and worked to improve on it.

Now I would like to have honest feedback about my current skills as an artist. I'm fresh out of a General CG Arts program and am now a student in a video game modeling-centric class.

Thing is, there's nothing I would love more than be part of the industry right now. I can't wait to be paid to do what I love. I am doing some freelancing work since August, but I'm really aiming at a job in a Montreal game studio.

The thing I really want to know is... how do I compare with the requirements for a junior artist? I know that I'm leagues behind what some of you here are doing, and this is only motivating, but I never really got any feedback about my skills as an entry-level artist.

Enough talking, picture time!

8184443530_1c411b5c49_h.jpg

8184442884_b60c31fcd9_h.jpg

8184441168_ff10d44792_h.jpg

8151782171_c506abf17b_h.jpg

8151809378_043b70b870_h.jpg
8151774129_e084b2e22b_h.jpg8151806854_a17239e77a_h.jpg
8151813454_4cf0e6636d_h.jpg

8151786401_ccd91e1b4b_b.jpg

8151810432_731e55c871_h.jpg8151785975_57cdd92f8f_h.jpg

Replies

• North
    Offline / Send Message
    North polycounter lvl 7
    Your prop work is pretty nice, but character and layout skills are poor. I would get rid of the bazaar scene and all your character stuff and just focus on showcasing your props individually. In comparison to junior level artists, I would say you still have a ways to go.

Keep pushing yourself
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

I'll go ahead and rethink what I want to do with that scene.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Some of your props look very nice, but I have to agree with North, the character models are really bringing the rest down.

I feel like your presentation on the hoverbike is probably under-selling it, and the platform you've created for it doesn't match up in terms of quality, and really isn't aiding your renders.
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I had my doubts about the old man, I really am having trouble getting a proper render out of Marmoset with this one. I'm having a weird normals problem with it to (weirdest glitch I ever had, it basically screws up most of the polygon normals whenever I convert it to an editable poly. I tried unifying de normals, flipping, applyting smoothing groups, nothing works. Anyway... Werid).

I did think that The Thing was looking good (especially with the Tessellation), but if you say it's too out of place, I might think about leaving it out I guess.

As for the hover cycle, yeah, the stand isn't helping indeed... I'll revisit it again to get a better render out of it.

Thanks a lot!

Keep 'em coming ;)
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    To add to the comments of the Bazaar scene. You have a lot of nice pieces in there that could probably be combined to make a really nice scene instead of just throwing them all together.
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    In regards to the characters... I don't think the rendering or texturing is really the problem here. It could be improved, but it's on about the same level as your other matters. I think the problem is in your understanding of anatomy. The faces and eyes in particular have an unnatural look to them, and it throws off the rest of the model. I know it's kind of a vague critique, but if you really want to do character art, I recommend doing a lot of facial and anatomy studies.
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah well... I'm putting character art aside to concentrate on environment/prop work because I am aware of my lack of skills in that area, and in all honesty, I want to put all chances on my side, so I'll concentrate on what I'm better at.

But yeah, thanks for confirming this!
  • Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated! Thinking about removing the Light & Amperes props bazar, definitiely will be gone when I do my next environment.

I got a lot of good feedback at MIGS, even some for my characters (which I don't particulary agree, but eh). I was motivating and I'm gonna keep going to have a more and more kickass portfolio until I get a job :P

Keep the feedback coming!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    The lux rifle render is too bright, it could be a lot better. The Bazzar scene just doesn't make any sense and brings it all down. The first piece is my favorie, but I feel like it needs some more metal or a different color in it to make it feel more varied, while it's not a ton of high detail noise, I think that you need to still break it up a bit.