Home Technical Talk

3ds max 2013 viewport texture quality

ZigZag
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ZigZag polycounter lvl 12
Hi. So, I just installed 3ds max 2013 (used 2009 version before). Everything is perfect but there's a problem with how textures look in viewport. Here's the screenshot:
6gfyq1.jpg

I checked both "Match bitmaps as closely as possible" in settings. What am I doing wrong? :poly117:

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    "... as closely as possible". How close it gets depends on a few factors,
    • Your video card and what the viewport can handle.
      • Make sure your drivers are up to date and that your hardware is able to handle the load.
      • Laptops notoriously have bad graphics cards and bad driver support.
    • Which viewport display driver is max using, Direct3D or Nitrous?
      • Direct3D will give better FPS on lower end hardware.
      • Nitrous will take full advantage of higher end hardware and display things more accurately.
    • How big the image actually is and the dimensions seem to play a factor too.
      • Sticking to the same power of 2 texture sizes that work best for games, seems to help max also, but its not a huge difference.
      • If the image is over 2048px in one way it will more than likely be clamped down to a smaller size, "...as closely as possible".
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    I thought those "Match bitmaps" checkboxes only come up for DirectX and that DirectX still only supports 512 maps in viewport for models.

Edit: Never mind, I just tried it with DX and found out that it totally works.
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Execute it :

macroScript Macro1
    category:"DragAndDrop"
    toolTip:""
    (
    NitrousGraphicsManager.SetTextureSizeLimit 4096 true
    )

Than reload your scene that will be just nice !
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    non ^2 images render at shabby quality regardless of settings as I believe max resizes them to become ^2
  • ZigZag
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, still can't solve the problem. Actually, a few days ago I moved to Windows 7 from Vista (I didn't have this problem on Vista). I tried to randomly change Catalyst settings but it didn't help. The problem exists with both Direct3d and Nitrous drivers.
    I also tried Cathodeus's script and it didn't change something.
  • ZigZag
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe wrote: »
    non ^2 images render at shabby quality regardless of settings as I believe max resizes them to become ^2

It works! Actually I do remember that I used non x2 textures before with no problem, may be it's a new max version issue? Well, thanks anyway. :)
  • nOizYbOi
    I have a similar problem, I'm a n00b in 3D design, but im following a Digital Tutors tutorial on car modeling, and I'm working on a 2010 Camaro.

I cant change the settings when it’s set to Nitrous. It displays that it’s installed, but shows “Nitrous (Direct 3D 9.0 - Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 SE)” and the configuration button is locked. and although I have DirectX 11 installed, I cant get it to use it.

So I selected “Direct 3D” and that works. I was able to change the configuration. I set the background texture size to 1024, ticked "match bitmap size as closely as possible" ok'd and exited. But when I reopen Max, the settings have gone back to the unticked position! ba6a3d

The reference pic is still blurred and I'm at a loss on what to do next.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've seen cases where you need to run 3ds Max as an Administerator in order for it to save your settings. To run as administrator right click on the short cut on the desktop and pick Run As Administrator.

As a side note, to see high res textures with Nitrous choose Realistic Materials with Maps from the viewport shading drop down menu.
  • nOizYbOi
    Thanks monster! It worked when I ran under Administrator! the radio buttons are now set and don't change when I restart. :)

The reference images are still blurry though when I set the driver to Direct 3D, Nitrous is still not working for me (the images appear blurred and skewed for some reason when I use Nitrous.) Why doesn't Max make use of DirectX11 and uses DirectX9?

I'm practicing with building a car first so that I can learn to make robot models, which is actually why I'm learning Max :)

Could it be something to do with my hardware? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition on a 2.8 GHZ Core i5 - 2300 processor, I have 8 GB of ram and a EVGA 460GTX SE 1 GB VGA. I hope my VGA is enough and not the cause for this...
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    nOizYbOi wrote: »
    Thanks monster! It worked when I ran under Administrator! the radio buttons are now set and don't change when I restart. :)

The reference images are still blurry though when I set the driver to Direct 3D, Nitrous is still not working for me (the images appear blurred and skewed for some reason when I use Nitrous.) Why doesn't Max make use of DirectX11 and uses DirectX9?

I'm practicing with building a car first so that I can learn to make robot models, which is actually why I'm learning Max :)

Could it be something to do with my hardware? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition on a 2.8 GHZ Core i5 - 2300 processor, I have 8 GB of ram and a EVGA 460GTX SE 1 GB VGA. I hope my VGA is enough and not the cause for this...

I guess they let 3dsmax run with dx9 because switching to dx11 would mean a lot of work, because you would have to change from forward rendering to a complete deferred rendering pipeline, which would mean that everything you do needs a shader and that would mean that the offline renderer has to be able to work with this shaders too-> more work to do. The Viewport Renderer is more like a convenience, people not involved with gaming don´t "need" shaders and it´s easier to stick with what they already have since the offline renderer is not realtime.(Why use shaders if the end result will be rendered on the cpu?)
  • Pac_187
    Offline / Send Message
    Pac_187 polycounter lvl 11
    Try this: Click on the max button > manage > asset tracking.

A new window appears, click "Bitmap Performance and Memory" > "Global Settings..." and Disable the Proxy System, click "OK, Generate Proxies Later" and restart Max.

B6uBf.jpg

That might fix it.
  • spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 14
    to control Nitrous Texture resolutions you could give my script a go...
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/nitrous-texture-tweaker
  • nOizYbOi
    hi SpeCter, I'm really new to 3D Modeling so I didn't quite understand the question! Sorry Please be patient with me in that regard! :)

I'm basically learning Max to help me design 3D models I can print in 3D :)
  • nOizYbOi
    Hi Pac_187, I checked the settings and it seems like by default those values have been set :(
  • nOizYbOi
    Thank you SpaceFrog! I ran it and it works now! at the moment it looks like this when I load a viewport background. the original image is 700x700 :)full
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    nOizYbOi wrote: »
    hi SpeCter, I'm really new to 3D Modeling so I didn't quite understand the question! Sorry Please be patient with me in that regard! :)

I'm basically learning Max to help me design 3D models I can print in 3D :)

That was more like a rhetoric question. To make my answer shorter:

- dx9 to dx11 needs a lot of work
    ---> Viewport Renderer needs to be updated and everything in it needs a shader, otherwise it won´t work( dx11 doesn´t have a forward rendering pipeline anymore) and that´s a lot of work for both devs and for the users(except if there is something like 3PointShader built in)
    ---> Offline Renderer(The thing which renders when you hit Render) would need an update if you want to work with the same material for both viewport and offline renderer(you guessed it, a lot of work)
    And the offline Renderer doesn´t know a shit about shaders, because it uses your CPU to render out things and not your GPU.
  • nOizYbOi
    SpeCter wrote: »
    That was more like a rhetoric question. To make my answer shorter:

- dx9 to dx11 needs a lot of work
    ---> Viewport Renderer needs to be updated and everything in it needs a shader, otherwise it won´t work( dx11 doesn´t have a forward rendering pipeline anymore) and that´s a lot of work for both devs and for the users(except if there is something like 3PointShader built in)
    ---> Offline Renderer(The thing which renders when you hit Render) would need an update if you want to work with the same material for both viewport and offline renderer(you guessed it, a lot of work)
    And the offline Renderer doesn´t know a shit about shaders, because it uses your CPU to render out things and not your GPU.

Oh, now I get it, thanks SpeCter :) thank you for explaining this to me.
  • sonleyworkshop
    The problem is about the compression of the image JPG. If you enter to photoshop and then save the image for web devices with all 100% quality.3Dsmax in Realistic mode doesn't seem to support compressed images.
  • sonleyworkshop
    The problem is the JPG compression of your image, if you edit it on photoshop and save it with full quality you will be able to see the image as it should be. This solution is for 3DsMax 2013
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not sure if it was Cathodeus' script or Space Frog's but after running both and then re-starting max, I get an error when I run max and now my viewport has a large black vertical stripe down the middle. How do I revert these changes back to max default settings?
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    What's the error, and what version of 3ds Max are you using? Have you installed the latest service pack?

I'm guessing you already had a drag and drop script defined and Cathodeus' script is causing a conflict.
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Sorry, running max 2013 with I believe the latest service pack installed. It says 15.0 in about.

And yes I used Space Frog's script and then drag and dropped Cathodeus' script into the editor. Is there a way to remove Cathodeus' script? Like run it in reverse. The error only came up once and then didn't come back... Max is running fine now but its quite a bit slower than it used to be and I have a lot of powerful hardware (i7 4930K 3.5ghz, 24gb ram and GTX 780) so it shouldn't be this slow.