Replies

• Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    @LEGI cool ward :D maybe add a pirate hat would be cool :D 
  • RossC
    Offline / Send Message
    RossC polycounter lvl 9

Which color scheme, or features from a color scheme do you prefer?
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    I think F Really looks nice
  • Snowy665
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowy665 polycounter lvl 3
    @RossC
    B,G and F are cool - G being my favourite.
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, has anything changed with the Source 2 version of Dota when it comes to normals? Is Handplane with Source1 as a target still the preferred method? Seeing as they no longer use the 3DSMax inverted normal channel I am wondering if something else changed.
  • legi
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    Hey there

I am curently in the need of making a 2 sided plane and I know I could be making another plane with a texture, it will simply not work.
    What are the ways of going about this, if it is possible that is.

cheers
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    LEGI easiest way is to duplicate faces that you want to make back face for. Then flip their polygons. In 3DS Max there is flip in editable_poly face tab. I don't know about other software.
  • legi
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    @Konras
    I work in Blender. Yes, I thought about duplicating and reversing them, but Im dealing with rope. Above is what Im working on and as you can see, it is quite open. The issue is, from  any angle you look at it, you can see the back side of the rope and that is what Im trying to achieve.

If I duplicate the faces and put the meshes really close, I dont know if the "crack" would be visible ingame or not, as I still dont really know how to test this out.

ps- How can I test my items ingame without publishing? I could not find any instructions on the workshop requirements page.
  • Haftoof
    Offline / Send Message
    Haftoof polycounter lvl 4
    Having some trouble fighting my poly-count.  Anyone have any suggestions for low-poly topology on curved formations?   (In my case its these horns).   Post in the DOTA 2 thread... 

• legi
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    @Haftoof
    Personaly, I dont think you should have an issue. The hair will be without the ridges (even the tail) and the horns, I think you would be ok with around 5 bends and 4 sides. Yes, you will loose some of the detail, but honestly, you can not notice it ingame. Try by rendering with game distance, menu size and if it looks great, it is great.

But, your pain in understandable=)
  • legi
    Offline / Send Message
    legi polycounter lvl 4
    I posted this in the tutorial thread, which is not alive, but not quite dead... Not expecting a anwser there to be honest so...

Question
    How I can make a transparent layer? I have a rope texture, which instead of being transparent (as there is nothing on the part of the layer) turns black.
    Also, how do I test my item ingame? I cant seem to find the right tutorial for it and I'm at the stage, where I really need to test my item out.

Cheers
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Hey folks,
    I need some help with importing the animations to 3ds Max 2015. I have done it in the past with GCFScape and Cannonfodder's Studio compiler but now when I load up GCFScape the directories have changed and I don't know what to do. And I'm not sure I can properly import the animation sequences into max with wallworm tools too. Any ideas?

Edit: I think I found it. nvm. 
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    I use wallworm for Dota animation importing...

Finished another DOTA 2 set with Christian Schob.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=621573204

Would be nice, if you guys support it in the workshop (steam account is all you need).

• Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Dark Blender - Download: http://linko.projects.free.fr/dblender.zip

I come back with my tool to generate a Dota asset in one single click. A lot of improvement have been made.
    Now you can generate all your LoD in one single click and the greyscale have been improved (based on the texturing technique of Tvidotto). It will bake your AO, bent map, normal map, cavity map, color ramp, top lighting, composite them, save them inside folders and import them, setup a scene to preview your model with premade lighting and shader. And you can choose if you want to use your GPU to bake.

You just have to select your sculpture, even if it's made in ZBrush this will work then you enter the polycount for the lod0 and other lod if you want. You decide which map to bake and run the script. The script will create your low poly, unfold it, optimize the texel density and save all your map in a relative folder of your .blend file then open the painting mode of Blender. You can also use the selected to active to use your own low poly and bake all your maps. You can choose if you want a smooth or flat shading, if you want to enable edge split (= smooth angle or smooth groups) for your high poly hard surface model.
    And i have another gift for you: i have included hundred of Dota colors to paint skin, cloth, strap, metal, rock, wood an much more!

Here i have takken a sculpture and runned the script, i have the greyscale and can paint directly on it. It takken me 1 second to do what other do in 5-10 hours! I skip all the boring part of retopology, uv mapping, baking and compositing. And you keep a good topology that follow the details and a good uv map that unfold half of your model for symetrized meshes.

But that's not all, you can generate an asset from a painting, it's similar to shadow box. You have access to new sculpting brushes and stencils. You can generate a box in one click, generate a billbard in one click, make a tileable texture very easily, clean ngons, show the UVs, resymetrize, show cage, access to new matcaps.

An article from cgchannel explain very well what Dark Blender can do: http://www.cgchannel.com/2016/01/dark-blender-turns-sculpts-into-low-poly-game-assets/

You want more? I have included an FPS template, you can shoot, reload, run, crouch, have HP, can kill, open door, turn on torchlight and 2D game template that read sprites.

Everything is free so don't hesitate to give it a try. It works well if you are not a Blender user too, just import your ZBrush sculpt in .obj and run the script. ;)
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys ;

Just finished a chaos knight set , 

drop a like  if u want :)http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626196813

• ashima
    Offline / Send Message
    ashima null
    Happy New Year
    2016我们【野兽工匠】给大家带来了一套耀眼的全能饰品—【神圣的光】 希望大家喜欢支持它
    2016 we bring the beast craftsmen 】 【 a dazzling universal accessories - "holy light" hope you like them to support it
    STEM工坊连接地址
       http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=626332777

Thank you for your support
     更好的饰品,在于你对我们的支持~谢谢~!

• ashima
  • RedCouch
    Offline / Send Message
    RedCouch polycounter lvl 3
    Hi All,
    I'm working on a new "hook" for Pudge and need some advice:
    How can I fix this chain so you can't see 2 sides of it at the same time?

• ashima
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Apparently we've got some new heroes to work on!

New Heroes on the Dota Workshop
    • Arc Warden
    • Shadow Fiend
    • Winter Wyvern
    • Zeus
    • Undying

http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/46c8nv/dota_2_update_main_client_february_17_2016/
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Now that Undying's finally workshop ready I have touched up on an old concept if anyone is interesting collaborating

• CiDDi
    and one more undying

will be soon in workshop o:)
  • JayBeanz
    So i kinda looked around for a straight answer because i know it's kinda lame to ask but.. To anyone that has had items accepted about how much money can you earn from a set that gets accepted on average?
  • EduardoMC
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    What was updated in the new Source 2 models (Sniper, etc)?
  • stkopp
    Offline / Send Message
    stkopp polycounter lvl 4

If you get import error, try to export DMX with "Binary 9" and "Model 22"

• marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, I'm having trouble importing my staff for warlock. How do you make the cloth physics work with the models you import?

Edit: I realized the cloth physics for the robe works but staff doesn't work. Maybe broken model?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Sooo... anyone having any luck with the models valve has provided for the new workshopable characters? Can they only be opened in maya or something?
  • JayBeanz
    So i'm gonna try to put something together for Axe. I'd like to do a bracer as part of the set, i've seen them in game and was wondering if this was for misc slot? Also when i mirror say a shoulder pad does it double my poly count for that slot or work more as an instance?
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13

Feel the Battlemage's Fury!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=630364319 …
    Our set for Pugna is complete! time to start working on Undying.
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    Game Asset Generator V2 for Blender is out!
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?383624-Dark-Blender-(Official-Thread)-optimized-for-sculpting-and-game-asset-creation

Just to say that the game asset generator v2 is out, it will not only convert your Dota sculpt into a game assets with every lods at your desired polycount, textures baked and composited and loaded with lighting effects like Source 2 and rim light in one click but it can now fusion every meshes to make a low poly that envelop the high poly to optimize the polycount and the UV map. Here is an examples with cylinders:

You just have the enable the option "create envelop".

You will need a build of Blender 2.77 to use it.

It will soon generate your mask1 and mask2 quickly with the result directly in the viewport, you can already paint the specularity, self illumination and metalness.
  • Confrontation
    Offline / Send Message
    Confrontation polycounter lvl 9

Hello guys!

i just published my new Phantom Lancer Set.

Pls have a look:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631285990

Thy:)

• Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Is anyone having trouble importing the .fbx files from the dota 2 workshop page? Whenever i try to import them they are always corrupted
  • Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Karkeng Chan Jia Jyn polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys :smile: 

Just finish my new set for EarthShaker , feel free to check it out :smiley: 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=632755902
  • memnarch1113
    Hey guys, I just learned how to export models from Reborn. I saw the gif before about how to export animations as well. What I don't understand is that the models I exported didn't come with bones or bind points, so cosmetics wont bind to heroes, and animations won't play (I'm using Blender). I'm looking to get the cosmetics and heroes out of the game and pose them (so I can fix them up for 3D printing). Any ideas on how to do that or somewhere I can find old files from a version of Dota before the reborn update? I used to be able to get models out of the data files, but since they changed the file format, I can't anymore.
    Thanks!
  • Swaggernaut
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I just learned how to export models from Reborn. I saw the gif before about how to export animations as well. What I don't understand is that the models I exported didn't come with bones or bind points, so cosmetics wont bind to heroes, and animations won't play (I'm using Blender). I'm looking to get the cosmetics and heroes out of the game and pose them (so I can fix them up for 3D printing). Any ideas on how to do that or somewhere I can find old files from a version of Dota before the reborn update? I used to be able to get models out of the data files, but since they changed the file format, I can't anymore.
    Thanks!
    Tvidotto Uploaded these a while ago: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxB6mTDW1V6bQlBJcnllOFdnbXM&usp=sharing
  • memnarch1113
    Thanks, I've got that. Unfortunately he didn't include any of the cosmetics, which I also need. So I'm still looking for those.
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    Sup guys! Someone knows, when be added  lonedruid trueform in workshop tools? Maybe someone has contacts with Valve and communicates with them about technical issues!

model
  • agito666
    did undying technical specification changed again? last time i check got ability 3 and 4? what happened? 
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    agito666 said:
    did undying technical specification changed again? last time i check got ability 3 and 4? what happened? 
    got removed from the requirements page a few hours after they first added everything

RIP
  • agito666
    ike_ike said:
    agito666 said:
    got removed from the requirements page a few hours after they first added everything

RIP
    damn, i still keep the requirement note in my PSD file. RIP ...

• AstraZeroZak
  • taencer
  • mihalceanu
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like workshop is slowly dying. Is it just me? Valve is not communicating with the artists at all, they totally ignored Anuxi's post on Reddit. We cannot work on particle effects anymore, there's no guide to use workshop tools properly, all the models are outdated/broken. It's also not profitable to work on bigger sets because 3-item sets get the same revenue as 8-item ones, I see some of the veterans here are working on different stuff now. What do you guys think about these issues?
  • TommyTehZombie
    marul said:
    I feel like workshop is slowly dying. Is it just me? Valve is not communicating with the artists at all, they totally ignored Anuxi's post on Reddit. We cannot work on particle effects anymore, there's no guide to use workshop tools properly, all the models are outdated/broken. It's also not profitable to work on bigger sets because 3-item sets get the same revenue as 8-item ones, I see some of the veterans here are working on different stuff now. What do you guys think about these issues?
    Valve is just slow when it comes to getting this stuff done, i mean look at how long its taken them to get every hero ported over from Dota 1. Do agree about the communication though, it would be really nice to have a workshop community manager on their end, who would communicate things with us.
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Finished another DOTA set with Ken Darmadi.
    Please support us in the DOTA Workshop. Undying

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Is anyone having trouble importing the .fbx files from the dota 2 workshop page? Whenever i try to import them they are always corrupted

are you trying with fbx2016? I had problems with him too and went back to maya 2015, now it works
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

marul said:
    1 - reddit post - They usually never answer anything on reddit, because if they do any kind of statement it can backfire, like when they mentioned on the first diretide that was a annual event. Imagine if they mention that they plan to release new heroes on the following months?, people may start annoying then with "hey Valve, you said that 2 months ago, where is what you promised?"
    So it is much better to do their work without spending time answering stuff that can backfire. They really consider their time the most valuable stuff around, so they try to use it in the most wise way

2 - particles effects where never optimized enough for the engine (words from a Valve employee) which means that it causes them extra work to fix, it takes less time to create one them to check every single detail on the  submitted particle to see if it will not break the gameplay (like some particles did in the past by being visible on the fog or showing where the hero teleported)

3 - they actually updated some models, and the ones broken were broken since forever, it is not a new thing =]

4 - profitability - a good example, couriers where part of the ultra rare drop on chests in the past, being bundled with particle effects. Making some people buying chests only for the rare expensive courier, and those couriers where not generating revenue to the creators.
    Following your line of thinking, people would stop doing courier at a certain point, but they kept doing
    Of course, doing a 3 piece set is easier then making a Tiny set, but there are more things when deciding which hero to work, sometimes, doing extra work on a 10 pieces set and getting it in game is more worthy then doing 5 3 pieces set and not getting any accepted

5 - some people move on, some new people appear, I am not following the amount of set being submitted if they reduced or not, but if they are still getting accepted in the game there are still a workshop, doesnt matter then ammount of competidors. one thing I am sure, the quality of items on the workshop is getting higher
    I see a reduction of people around the forum lately, but I believe is just because people switched to skype, which is easier and more informal. 

I didnt want this to get too long, my bad =]
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    My view on this is like so:
    1. Reddit and communication in general - it was always like this. They will most likely read it, think about it, implement changes when necessary, but will never give you straight answer.
    2. Custom stuff - for me this is a positive change. Valve never allowed officially to work on particles/custom animations, and it was their mistake to ever bundle a set made with this kinda stuff. This were getting out of hand really fast. Stuff like this should be supported by tools available for everyone or be totally forbidden.
    3. As Thiago said they are now updating old models so its actually awesome!
    4. Here is a simple rule. You will not make 8 slotted set, someone else will :)
    5. I guess you can work on same thing for ever. As Thiago said, some people go, others come. Its all good as long as it flows :)

Once is however certain. That polycount dota 2 sub forum fas died out. I can understand that as people like posting their stuff more on social media. And I support this as well because its only way to interact and get feedback from community of players. As what we do is for the players, not for other artists :)
  • Hawt Koffee