Home General Discussion

Does this have potential?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
Hello everyone. I'm a programmer, and I'd like your opinion on this.

Some time ago I worked for a good while on a program, "Curver" I called it, which focuses on implementing a natural workflow for working with line art. Then I put it on hold in favor of other projects and some real life circumstances. Now I'm at the stage of finding a project to start/resume. With financial interest in mind, do you think this project has potential? What to add to it without complicating it too much? Would it generate a good user base?

Basically, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for any input smile.png

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZB5KTOH6Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHZB5KTOH6Y[/ame]

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    That actually looks extremely interesting. Seems to me like the sort of thing someone less skilled in conventional art would use to create something clean and presentable.
    Could perhaps be very useful for programmer-inclined Indies and hobbyists to create art for 2D games, or even concept/UI art for a 3D game.
    I don't know that I would expect it to be hugely successful, but it seems like it would be fairly unique and fill a solid niche.

One thing I think it could still use is an automatic snapping/intersecting of lines.
  • US Claire Force
    I think it looks like a useful program too! I can definitely see its applications in graphic design and typography.
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    This looks like a much nicer and intuitive version of the pen tool from photoshop/illustrator. I could see this being very helpful for lesser skilled 2d artists, inkers, graphic designers, etc. I haven't use Illustrator much, so I'm not sure how much easier it is. But from the little I remember, it looks much easier than the pen tool.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This is looking fantastic already, and could be very profitable indeed. Every 2d artist relying on linework would buy it instantly !

Is there a test version available to download and try ?
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    looking at it I feel like I may end up spending about the same about of time tweaking with these tools compared to trying to do clean lines normally, though I feel it could be useful to certain types of workflows. I think that Manga Studio 5 has similar features for smoothing, nudging and adjusting the thickness of lines.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yup, Manga Studio does this but there's always room for competition!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    The program looks awesome.... But my ears are bleeding :(
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Torch wrote: »
    The program looks awesome.... But my ears are bleeding :(

Same! :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Wow man... I am definitely interested in this! Where can i try it ???
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, what a neat idea! I look forward to trying a demo!
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Definitely looking good!

I would suggest hyper focusing on line art. Don't bother with painting, fills, blurs etc. If you do, you'll be competing with SAI, Manga Studio, Illustrator etc. which have teams of developers. Stick with line art and REALLY polish it. Then price it accordingly, e.g. $10.

Since doing line art in most programs, especially Photoshop and Illustrator kind of sucks, you can probably hit that niche. Staying small will ensure that no matter what software an artist uses, if yours does the line art part better and is affordable, they'll probably come to you.

Beyond that, I'd like to see some kind of a brush system so you can make "sketchy" lines, and make the output resolution independent (are lines handled as vector internally?) so if you decide to upscale your artwork,you can keep your lines nice and crisp by simply re-importing them.
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks everybody for the feedback! Sorry about the music :p
    At the time I started working in it, I remember doing some research and not finding something with similar functionality, but it appears a couple of programs now support a similar workflow (Manga Studio as mentioned here, and Toon Boom Studio).

I'm leaning towards what what Equanim is suggesting - instead of aiming for a complete package for everything, I will focus on producing a polished tool for a specific purpose and price it accordingly.

I will let you know as soon as it becomes testable by the public. Keep the input coming please, I really really really appreciate everyone's opinion and thoughts.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    A class-mate at my school uses Painttool SAI for his anime illustrations. It may be something to look at. I'm not sure if it has any of the features your software has though. I don't know much about illustration software but figured I'd mention this.

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, I think that ironically you will most likely get the most positive responses from people who are used to the precision of traditional media.

What I mean by that is that by nature, traditional media has a much finer resolution than what any digital painting program offers ; and similarly, the "pressure sensitivity" of real-life tools is much finer than any tablet or Cintiq. Pretty much every artist who is used to the great subtleties of pencil work tends to be very frustrated by the relatively heavy hand and the lack of stroke precision that come with digital tools, which forces one to zoom in a lot - thus compromising the overall perception of the piece being worked on.

What I love about your video so far is that it seems like Curver totally embraces these limitations by starting with the worst kind of line and letting the user fix it later. I think this is a fantastic approach - drawing one line and touching it up seems more efficient to me that drawing a line, undoing it, and redrawing it over and over again until the right one happens (this is especially true on a Cintiq, where cursor calibration often causes precision issues). Considering all this, working with Curver seems to be a great process for people paying great attention to line quality and stroke economy at the same time.

Regarding feedback : I think you will get much better data by releasing a demo/test version, like Kamih did for LazyNezumi :
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125699

To those mentioning the existence of a similar feature in Manga Studio and ToonBoon : is there any video showing them in action ? I'd love to see this, that sounds very cool ...
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    Yes, it leverages the fact that it's easier to 'fix' a bad line than drawing a perfect one. But is this nice idea enough to make it successful, or do I ultimately need to extend it into becoming a full art package? MayaFPS for example, my first-person controls plug-in for Maya, is based on a very good idea I think, and I consider it to be successful, but not nearly as much as I was hoping it would be.

I guess what I was subconsciously hoping for was a hugely encouraging reaction to put my worries of a mediocre success to rest when such a reaction can not be realistically expected simply from a video demonstrating an early prototype of the main concept instead of the planned final refined experience as a whole.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ugh, this looks so similar to how I currently draw in Photoshop.

I just for the life of me, can't get the same stroke I get on paper with a Wacom, and I've been trying for over 20 years.

:/ I'm totally getting a Cintiq.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    This may sound funny but.. I've taped paper overtop of my bamboo tablet. To get that pencil on paper type feel.

Looks dumb, but feels right
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    This seems like it'd be useful for architectural or hard surface work, to me. I feel pretty confident in my mark marking with organic shapes, and when I don't, I use Lazy Nezumi.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Dude, this is really great. U have no idea how useful this tool is for 2d animators.U have just saved them a lot of time doing lineart.With this tool it will be possible to even animate using ur tool alone.

Does the app allow import of a number of images? If a timeline like flash can be added with a pencil tool for sketching ur images before doing lineart will be perfect. but then I have always felt cramming too much features into an app might ruin it. Then again,This could have huge potential for 2d animators.

When do u plan on releasing it?
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    I'm still unsure whether to continue working on it or scrapping it (hence this thread). But if i do go on with it, it will definitely support creating animations as well as sketching as you suggest.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    U can work on it in ur spare time. Right now, it can still be used for animations.The fact is it speeds up doing lineart. There is huge potential of this being added to the toolsets of a lot of artists and animators.
    If u decide to scrap it, it would be a waste imho.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have watched some livestreams vid of ppl using mangastudio and I don't recall seeing them use a brush to move/sculpt vector lines, tweak or smoothen them.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Manga Studio features are really quite nice, but have you considered contributing this to an open source program, like Krita or Inkscape?
    I realise this is much harder than implementing it in your own program, but as some others have said I don't see many people using this as a seperate program when other programs have it included.
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    While I enjoy coding and really like freeware and open source programs, I'm frankly seeking profit here through attempting to provide software that is pleasant to use. But thank you very much for your input :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely understandable, ofcourse.
    You might consider crowdfunding as a solution that solves both problems, if you feel you could do this for a crowdfunding-kind of sum of money.

The way it stands, you're competing in a difficult space if you release this, and I'm afraid you'll be doing something else before too long, leaving this to languish.
    I don't say this to criticise, I say this because I don't want that that happen :)
  • Amr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amr0 polycounter lvl 6
    Crowd-funding? Hmm...
    You mean refine it some more, streamline the workflow, gather some user input by offering a testable demo, implement basic animation features while maintaining a simple but effective workflow to demonstrate in the pitch video, and prepare decent video clips that better represent the strength of the application, and then try my luck on Kickstarter?

Giving it a shot sounds like a good option.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good! I really like how you can get the lines in really quickly! Can't wait to try demo! :D
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Ugh, this looks so similar to how I currently draw in Photoshop.

I just for the life of me, can't get the same stroke I get on paper with a Wacom, and I've been trying for over 20 years.

:/ I'm totally getting a Cintiq.

I can't agree with you more! I seem to draw pretty well with a ball point pen and paper but when it comes to Wacom and PS I suddenly become a 2 year old with a crayon! :\
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, same :) Don't expect a Cintiq to help much in that regard tho - the slippery surface along with the rather poor calibration makes lineart quite inacurate on it (at least on the model I use - black 21UX). Now of course it is always possible to zoom in a lot to compensate, but it defeats the purpose...