Home Dota 2

Pior's workshop

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi again you all !

With the Smoke of War Sniper textures all wrapped up, I am squeezing some work for the Chivalry Arms & Armor contest before going back to finishing the Lina hairstyles at the end of this month.

I put together a bunch of helmet designs that are now up for grabs ; some are already attributed but there are quite a few left to take. If anyone is interested, let me know by PM !

piorchivalryconcepts012a_zpsc91da732.jpg~original

piorchivalryconcepts011b_zpsff5cec9f.jpg~original

Note that this is helmets only (as I believe that single item submissions are accepted for the contest), but I will be spending the next few days making a series of weapons anyways. So if anyone wants to claim a helmet and also needs a weapon design to go with it, please let me know and I will do my best to provide them asap, most likely before Sept. 15th (considering that the contest deadline is Oct. 6th)

I hope that some of you will be interested in collaborating !

[edit : added names and rendered images]
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    So many DK and Silencer helmets.... hahaa

Amazing work as usual, best of luck in the comp too!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe true - there could be some recycling to do later :) Alright, on to render them all now ...
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    And sven helmets! You can basically recycle 50% of these for dota 2, lola
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I CALL DIBBS ON ALL OF THEM!!!

:D
  • ILM
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    Cool designs :D And after 55 hours of Chivalry i recommend to keep some separation by color blue/red....you know better. Just sometimes in battle it's hard to notice if soldier is enemy or not.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed about being able to instantly distinguish between friends and enemies ! So, if I understand you correctly, you mean that it is important for each design to have at least a little bit of team color on it ? (for instance, adding a little bit of blue to the Agatha designs that only have silver and gold on them at the moment ?)
  • ILM
    Offline / Send Message
    ILM polycounter lvl 7
    Yep, team color is exactly what i mean.
    Honestly, that might be not necessary for competition. I'm talking as a player, but seems like Developers absolutely don't care about gameplay, only money.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I CALL DIBBS ON ALL OF THEM!!!

:D

Make it so.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    holy shit! wow... srsly we should consider 'pior quality'to be a new word now xDDD
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Oh my god Pior, you are a hero for doing this!

Thank you!
  • Stewart
    holy jesus! awesome concepts.. all of them!
    but! i think this isn't look like dota 2 stylistic
    am i wrong?
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the helmets on the 2 new sheets are not for dota so no you are not, they are for chivalry.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Well they're not for dota so no you are not

Boosh.
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    wouu.. pior. I never cease to admire your work.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAy_KVAJMI3W4TxgxbIPGUzrIa2Qu_Bw8g6tq9pGrJ-w6aG50J
  • Creeow
    Awesome Chivalry helmets, looking forward on how they will turn out when finished.
    (10 years since strim)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys ! It was a lot of fun to do, especially since it forced me to learn a bit about real-world medieval helmets, which in turn will certainly help for Dota work. Rendering them was fun too and made me streamline my process quite a bit as well. I cannot wait to see what will come out of all this :)

Working on some weapons now, and then back to some more whimsical Heroes :)
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    I will just drop quick note/question here. I plan to model helmet this week. Is there or will be there any thread on arms&armor sub-forum where we all could paste our progress just to keep us all motivated or is general idea for us all to create separate threads?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I have seen it is all being done as individual threads. It's kinda crazy (in a good way !) : there is more than a hundred of them !
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok :D I have spent some time and made some progress :)
    Here is a link to my thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2138150#post2138150
    I also saw one from mihalceanu:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139760
    I will look later for more thread from this package. However maybe it would be awesome to add threads to post with concepts(just an idea)?

I am not sure if I read forms correctly from concept ^^ but I tried my best. I also made small change to his visor shape, however I will later try to make alt-default version to see which one would be better. My idea was to make it in shape of Agata helardry dagger symbol, but yeah, just small variation that I need to look over later to see if that was worth changing.

Anyway good luck all!! It will be fun! :)
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed, seing the progress in your thread and others is a real pleasure :)
    Alright, here is round #2 - I was asked to provide some weapons designs for a few 3d artists, and of course there are some extras hence I thought I might as well share :

weapons designs
    maces designs

weaponallcolors_004-small_zps682c7c96.jpg~original

Similarly to the helmets, this has been a very informative task when it comes to learning a bit about real medieval gear. On that subject, this guy's videos are great so I thought I'd share that too :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsLd3dVNz8"]Fantasy Weapons Scrutinized: Skyrim swords and axes - YouTube[/ame]
  • Hundkungen
    Thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge. :thumbup:
  • Paperbag
    That video is awesome hahaha
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    I finished my first helm:) , was a preety good for learning :) , I'm gonna start on the other one soon, hopfully finish it before the 5-6th
    268x268.resizedimage
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316873824
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Ooh yeah ! Awesome work man :)
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    can i call dibs on sword number 17?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing Gir (but you already know that by now !)

Alright, back to Dota ! The Smoke of War set for Sniper, a collaboration with Andumy and Sumers, is now submitted to the Workshop and up for voting :

Smoke of War on the Steam Workshop

1493783960F6A6F48ACBCBF1AC0BF0BCC1229747

Andumy was in charge of the modeling and effects ; Sumers took care of the original concept art and produced the video trailer and also worked on additional modeling and effects ; and I took care of the texturing and some extra modeling.

Needless to say we all ended up putting more time and effort than originally expected into this, but we are all very glad we did and are very happy with the results ! It personally grew on me more and more as we progressed, and I am really happy with the final package. Here is the trailer :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RXCby53cg"]Smoke of War - YouTube[/ame]

The set is submitted as a single Workshop slot, to try and keep the ratings focused. We'll see how it goes...

I hope you guys like it !
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh this is just superb. Promo video is top notch, textures, model, everything is highest quality. Also I think we can say that Pior has made Sniper his signature hero :)
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Plz do a sniper set next ;)
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock the first thing Pior did for dota was a sniper set. :D
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    Yes. I know. I wear it ingame
  • CamCrawfordNZ
    This thread, every time I come back. So bootiful.
    like dis if you cri eritime
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, here is a BloodSeeker set that BounchFX and I are working on :

BS_Drops_20-small_zpsc7538ed2.jpg~original

We are trying to keep this one fairly simple and true to the original design of the hero, while adding a few twists here and there. The idea is that BS is collecting and carrying vials of blood, making him a bit of an apothecary and mystic - hence the tribal mask.

Below are a few explorations that eventually led to the final design. Originally the idea was to make the mask reminiscent of a blind bat (= vampire = bloodseeker), tinted deep red similarly to Marvel's Redskull but this was a bit too close to some of the existing BS sets. There was also the idea of incorporating the Bloodstone into the outfit but we decided to drop that too.

BS_Drops-iterations-small_zpsf8edfb92.jpg~original

Here is an early blockout to check if everything fits. This was a good occasion to tweak the design a bit, and it locks things down for the sculpting phase which I think can save a lot of iteration time.

BS_bounchpior_wip_002_zps2d8606e2.jpg~original

Fun times ahead !
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I really like those gloves! Awesome set. My only concern is his mask looks a bit like a Luchador mask ;) Could just be me though...

Any updates on those Lina head bundles?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe Sukotto that's kinda true - maybe it's because of the white part ? We'll certainly be able to play with that, thank you for mentioning it :)

As for the Lina bundle, yup, that's the next thing on my plate. This is the lineup I am going for so far, which is a combination of all the models I received plus some touchup on my end. (The shaved one near the right side is just a placeholder of course.) I am hoping to get back to them in a week or so, I just have another unrelated thing to finish until then.

2014-09-2109_07_33-Lina_hair_pack1_006max-Autodesk3dsMax2010_zps8bb9ef3d.png~original

I am excited :)
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @bs put my voice on the skull head, i like it allover alot more then that mask :/
    @linabundle plz volvo add this :)
  • Sumers
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    yep, really like skull-mask. the one without any patterns
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    looks awesome man, im diggin that skull and jawbone helm. Although the three eyed mask has its strengths as well. I like the combo of the feathers and those spines on his head piece.
  • bounchfx
    hey guys, to chime in real quick - one of the reasons I pushed away from the skull was due to the fact that BS already has a very clear cut skull helmet in game:
    256px-Bonehunter_Skullguard.png?version=b0dc07c2dfe3e2fda3df5796f3498934

the other being that I didn't feel it fit the rest of the set as well as some of the other things proposed. that being said, I'm always down for an alt helm as a style if that's what we decide upon :)

as for the colors we will definitely be tinkering more once it's in game to see if the white on the face fits, if the teal needs tweaks, etc. It's not 100% set in stone till it's done ;)

super pumped to make this guy!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Duuuuuuuuuuuude! That's pretty amazing! I already hope to see this in game :D Fantastic work and a great thought process behind it!
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Man, the BS set looks sick. Whilst the patterns on the skull concepts are really cool, I think the mask works best. Glad you guys decided to continue with that. It blends in really nicely with the rest of the leather too.

Btw are you still interested in eventually working on a VS set? You seem to have tons of stuff in the pipeline already! Looking forward to the Lina lineup too.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing works, awesome concept, i really like the skull-mask too but at this phase it doesnt really fit in with the rest of the set i think, anyway, looking forward for more progress on both of your projects.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Great work as always, I cant wait to see how you guys tackle the blood vials. Maybe you guys should work on some more patterns for the feathers, like black feathers red tips or blue feathers black tips, etc.
  • ReMixx
    Great work as always, I cant wait to see how you guys tackle the blood vials.

I wonder if you can do the blood vials like Valvo did the Boomer Bile vials from L4D2.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys - and yeah, getting the feathers and vials just right is going to be a fun challenge !

Snow : of course man, I really love the look of Venge and I am very eager to find ways to make her look a bit different. Just got to take care of a few other things first :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    oh shit, didnt even realize BS already had a bone helm, yeh might be a good idea to go with the three eyed mask then. Either way lookin forward to this set.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update - Bounch and I are tag-teaming the texture work, and this is where we are so far. The bracers and weapons are still to be adjusted a bit.

BS_bounchpior_wip_005_zps60de3bc5.jpg~original

We are also thinking of doing an alternate helmet style, either by doing a recolor of the original or by coming up with another design altogether. We'll see !
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    pior wrote: »
    Here's an update - Bounch and I are tag-teaming the texture work, and this is where we are so far. The bracers and weapons are still to be adjusted a bit.

BS_bounchpior_wip_005_zps60de3bc5.jpg~original

We are also thinking of doing an alternate helmet style, either by doing a recolor of the original or by coming up with another design altogether. We'll see !

Textures are looking really nice overall, but the feathers look a bit off. They're way too detailed and noisy, and if they look like that on a zoomed in view, they'll probably look even worse ingame. Removing the noisy strands and smoothing them out a bit would help a lot. Something like what Arty did on our QoP wings for example, are what I'd consider the perfect amount of detail for feathers on Dota.
  • bounchfx
    figured I might as well chime in since I made it hehe, thank you for the feedback!

so as a note, the goal was never for that to be seen in game as-is. the idea is that the strands are there to help influence how the light hits it with help of the normal map so it wasn't just completely flat visually. The cuts/detail are there for that purpose only.

I did make an attempt to add some darker and lighter patches of color on each feather type if you look at the more zoomed out view you might see them, but they are still very subtle and possibly not bold enough yet - it's something that is still in progress for when we see the in-game view again. It looks different when viewed with all the shaders on as opposed to the flat shade you see here. I absolutely do agree they need a little more love, but I don't want to go cartoony with it either, as this was my attempt to take a cue from the way valve handles some of their detail in the game (via realistic-ish normal maps and surfaces). And I quite agree, her feathers are beautiful. Thank you again!