Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Catwoman

Replies

• Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    SA_22 - Thanks man, ya definately putting a whip in her hand.

Master of the fork - Thanks alot man, Ya I like the idea of lightening the seams I might go in after posing and give it a try.

Ok so here is her relaxed pose, What do you guys think of this, I'm getting ready to setup the final presentation of this piece. Also what do u guys think about the lighting choices?

2dtsmqf.jpg

2iw0cp2.jpg

33b2ryq.jpg
  • elGuapo
    Looks good, I like the overall design. I would suggest spending a bit more time 'beating up' the outfit, so it doesn't look so shiny and new. I would also suggest doing some more work on the hands...they look a little unfinished compared to the rest of the model.
  • Tits
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Congrats on the amazing work Kend,
    I really love how she turns out, the face looks very alive :)
    Can't wait to see what you will do next also!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    meow meow meow, Wow :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Very nice work, excellent silhouette and beautiful face. Good Job :D
  • Rumkugel
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    My girl and i agree on this gif:

tumblr_n68vlf5kAe1ryvijio1_r1_500.gif

Pick one of the frames ;)

i specially like it when she does pull one foot over the floor.
    meow
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    That's one sexy cat! So looking forward to the action pose now :D

I think her face could use a little bit more expression, but otherwise I really have no idea what you could do to make her look better :)
  • KustomZero
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    At first i wasn't so sure if i like the design but now where everything comes together i really dig it. I think you did a great job and this could be a great costume for an upcoming batman movie. Really well done
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    This has gone from amazing to jawdropping.

The pose is killer, I am blown away every time I open this up again, cheers dude!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks strong bro! really admire how you took all the crit in stride and finished her off proper. great work buddy!
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Yup! Beautiful job. Nice to see a different version of the famed character, which you pulled off just beautifully. Did I mention beautiful-ness :)
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Beautiful work mate! I think you should play around with the lighting some more, see what else you can come up with (Joe Wilson did a nice write up on character lighting for the older version of toolbag, but the principles still appy http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting definitely worth checking out if you havent already seen it).
    For the pose, she's looking a bit unbalanced and could be pushed further. Here's a quick paint over to show as an example.

tHxoDZVc.gif
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hmmm man what a great work, the result is looking amazing. Good job !
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    afisher's balance gif is pretty spot on, try doing some shoulder/hip rotation to get a more balanced and interesting flow to her pose.

Once you add the whip in, I think that will help the hands feeling static. The hand not holding the whip, just some slight finger bending so they all aren't matching each other would help as well.

Can't wait to see the final!
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    fantastic work and and thread. congratulations!
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Damn. haven't been back to this thread in a while. Turned out awesome man. Respect!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Awesome work!

The eyes are awesome.
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Dat Page 1 update :O
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    elGuapo - Thanks man, I wanted the beating up to not be to much but subtle. I worked the hands abit and posed them which I think really bring them to life.

Tits - Thanks alot man Looking forward to what you do next as well

Crazy_pixel - Thanks alot man

Rumkugel - Thats a great gif, I might stick with pose I have for now but that gif is going in my inspiration folder

Xaragoth - Thansk alot man, I dont know if i'm going to do the action pose right away Im gonna take a break from this for a bit then come back to it.

Kustomzero - Thanks man, Zack snyder can gimme a call anytime lol.

heboltz3 - Thanks man, appreciate it.

Slosh - Thanks man, im still learning so i think its important to take all the crits in as i can and learn as much as I can :)

Rion411 - Thanks man, yes you did mention beautiful-ness

afisher - Thansk alot man, Thanks for the paintover very helpful, and Ya i'm still learning lighting so that link was very helpful check the update in the final image i hope I nailed the lighting and new to lighting.

Scythe - Thanks man

Artstream - Ya that gif was very help[ful, I agree with the whip and hands and the final is in the update below.

r4ptur3 - Thanks man

Fomori - Thanks

JacqueChoi - Thanks man, Huge fan

Xaragoth - Thanks, update below

Hello Everyone I'm Finnally done my first finished portfolio character :D Im calling this done but If you guys notice anything please drop a crit especially on the lighting which is something im still learning. I want to thank everyone for helping me with my first portfolio piece Its been a amazing learning experience and I cant wait to take this knowledge on to my next character. Its been a crazy journey getting here and here is the final

catwoman_by_kdoyle9-d7vp4uo.jpg
    catwoman___headshots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpa9t.jpg
    catwoman___torso_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpdy3.jpg
    catwoman___leg_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpf1s.jpg
    catwoman___full_model_shots_by_kdoyle9-d7vpi3u.jpg
    catwoman___wireframe_by_kdoyle9-d7vpdda.jpg
    catwoman___texture_maps_by_kdoyle9-d7vpg8x.jpg
    catwoman___zbrush_sculpt_by_kdoyle9-d7vpfje.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice work my friend. Since you just did this, is there any reason you didn't use PBR for her?
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    I'm thought I did, doesnt Toolbag 2 automatically use PBR? I turned the background image to color rather than the image in the background but I still used the skylights to light the scene, So I was under the assumption that toolbag automatically uses PBR?
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    God that's pretty. That better be a DLC in the next Batman game. Otherwise I'm gonna bring my torch and pitchfork! ;)

Thanks for posting your textures and topology, much appreciated for learning! :)
  • doomprodigy
    Offline / Send Message
    doomprodigy polycounter lvl 5
    This is fantastic, splendid work :)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Slosh - wat about the images made you think it was'nt pbr? I'm under the assumption it is because i thought marmoset toolbag automatically uses pbr, im really curious and confused.

Xaragoth - Thanks alot man :D Rocksteady can give me a call anyday lol

doomprodigy - Thanks man :D
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Kend wrote: »
    Slosh - wat about the images made you think it was'nt pbr? I'm under the assumption it is because i thought marmoset toolbag automatically uses pbr, im really curious and confused.

You're right, Marmoset is a PBR engine. I was referring to your maps. You have the basic setup of diffuse, normal, spec, gloss whereas a more accurate PBR setup is albedo, normal, roughness, and metallicity. Just curious why you didn't use the newer setup. Not a big deal but people tend to look for that these days...
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Those eyes are killer man! Good job.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    still not totally onboard with the face, but i don't dig the reference either so thats probably just me.

nice job on the eyes, the pose and the lighting.
  • 87roach
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    She's beautiful! Awesome work :D
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    turned out really nice. Love the model!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    slosh wrote: »
    You're right, Marmoset is a PBR engine. I was referring to your maps. You have the basic setup of diffuse, normal, spec, gloss whereas a more accurate PBR setup is albedo, normal, roughness, and metallicity. Just curious why you didn't use the newer setup. Not a big deal but people tend to look for that these days...

GLOSS/ROUGHNESS:
    these terms are interchangeable, all they do is determine the "microsurface" of your material. neither is more or less "pbr" than the other.

DIFFUSE/ALBEDO:
    these terms are also largely interchangeable, the reason why they're named differently is because an oldschool diffuse map will typically contain some baked in light information (diffuse lighting) and renaming it to albedo gives it a kinda... clean break from the old workflow. you can still call it diffuse/colour/albedo/whatever, but for PBR you just skip the baked in light info part.

SPECULAR/METALNESS:
    Specular, or reflectivity, is generally speaking more accurate than metalness. Why? Simple... Because with a specular map you have direct control over ALL reflective values of a surface, whereas with a metalness map, non-metals are given a blanket reflectance value which is accurate enough for most people to work with, but is absolutely not more accurate than a spec/reflectivity map. The biggest reason metalness has taken off, is because it simplifies the workflow, and allows people to pack their textures better (ie: have gloss/metalness/cavity in a single texture).
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, there's some common misconceptions out there, that if you're not using a specific type of input or a specific shader model, it isn't PBR. This isn't really accurate, the points Lee made above are a good start to sort of squash some of those myths, but take a look at the Marmoset PBR tutorials for greater detail:

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

In addition to what Lee said, diffuse and albedo maps can vary further due to the fact that when using the metalness reflectivity model, your albedo map acts as essentially a diffuse map for non-metals, and a specular map for metals. Again, the metalness workflow is actually less accurate, not more, its popularity is due to its texture memory savings and how it potentially simplifies the workflow moreso than accuracy.

Kend, she's looking great, I've been lurking in this thread for a while, glad to see you've finished her up.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Slosh - I just named them Diffuse and specular Etc. Rather than albedo and Metalness and such, Gir's and Earthquakes posts clear it up below.

Fomori - Thanks man :)

Goeddy - Thanks man, maybe its her facial expression or the reference, either way im onboard with the face and its time for me to jump onto another project finally LOL

87roach - Thanks Man :D

ljsketch - Thanks man :D

Almighty_gir - Thanks for clearing that up I was very confused by that because I thought I didnt have the right setup or something I read tutorials thatsaid albedo is just the diffuse but I didnt know if he was referring to something else.

Earthquake - Thanks alot man :D Thanks for the links as well very fascinating and useful. I fell for one of those misconceptions myself lol thanks for u and gir clearing that up.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is a beautiful model, but I think your pressentation shots are really lacking.

for starters the background colors is the same as the character, wich makes it blend into the background.

your logo is really big and takes up a lot of space.
    also there are some really distracting jagged pixelated white lines around it which makes it look like you copy-pasted it from a white background and didn't bother to clean it up properly.

I would really do another take on the final renders, try simplifying things, maybe just make a small banner in the top/bottom with all the details. that way you can put all the info on the same possision on all the renders, so the logo isnt just squeesed in wherever you had some space over.

sory if Im being harsh on you, but the graphic designer inside of me gets angry when I see such beautifull 3D not being pressented at its best.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really good, nice work!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yea, the subtle differences aren't a big deal. I just noticed it looked like you had AO baked into your diffuse and it seems more and more, that is going away in PBR pipelines as well as using a "specular" map which a lot of the times is a "color specular" map as opposed to the simplified metallicity black and white map. It seems the newer method is a bit more physically accurate since color spec is not. Nothing crazy important, just an observation about your maps Kend. The work, however is well executed so no complaints from me there...nicely done.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    This turned out awesome! Very professional looking work!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    lotet - Ya I agree with the points you made I'll have to go back and change it up a bit. First time presenting work, I kind of like the warm purple in the background but I see wat u mean.

Paulp - Thanks man

Slosh - Thanks man, Good point about the AO I didnt think about that and the specular color.

Scizz - Thanks man :)
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Really nice finish! Turned out awesome.
  • G-Saviour18
    Offline / Send Message
    G-Saviour18 polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great buddy, looking forward to seeing the tweaks :)
  • pastelspirit
    Offline / Send Message
    pastelspirit polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice design and execution!
    Would love to see a different facial expression though (default staring is kinda boring). ;)
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Stevston89 - Thanks alot man, and also thanks for your crits throughout the making of her you were very helpful :D

G-saviour18 - Thanks man :D

Pastelspirit - Thanks man :D Ya im definately gonna give her some expression next while im learning about face morphs.
  • EarthQuake
    slosh wrote: »
    Yea, the subtle differences aren't a big deal. I just noticed it looked like you had AO baked into your diffuse and it seems more and more, that is going away in PBR pipelines as well as using a "specular" map which a lot of the times is a "color specular" map as opposed to the simplified metallicity black and white map. It seems the newer method is a bit more physically accurate since color spec is not. Nothing crazy important, just an observation about your maps Kend. The work, however is well executed so no complaints from me there...nicely done.

Its sort of a common misconception, but the metalness workflow isn't any more accurate, its actually less accurate, because all non-metals get a fixed value of about 4% reflectivity, whereas in reality non-metals are generally in the 2-8% range or so. Cryengine and Unity 5 both use full color spec (U5 gives you the option to use either workflow) for their PBR setups, along with some other engines as well.

The metalness workflow forces you to use a fixed, colorless value for non-metals, which makes sense, but is only really more accurate if artists are making art content that doesn't make sense from a PBR standpoint. As long as you understand which values to use and why, full color spec maps provide better accuracy and flexibility, at the cost of slightly more VRAM usage and more room for user error.

The metalness workflow has some other drawbacks as well, like artifacts at effect transition points that you don't get with a full color albedo/spec map.

The AO point is a good point, ao should generally be loaded as a separate map with either workflow so the shader can do more intelligent stuff with it, like only mask ambient, and not direct light.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Thanks for breaking down the metalness workflow, very helpful.

Im definately going to have to make the AO separate see the difference.
  • Reowwww
    Offline / Send Message
    Reowwww polycounter lvl 6
    This Catwoman is rad \m/ Really well realised.