Home General Discussion

3D coat limitations versus Zbrush?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
So I used Zbrush as my high poly solution at work and at home and came across 3D coat because of a coworker. I started using the voxel sculpting tools and found I got extremely quick and excellent results not only in organic forms but a worlds of a difference in ease when creating hard surface items over using zbrush. (Also 3D coat has some awesome retopo tools, texture painting on the model and other super awesome features that all seem to be laid out very well)

So my question is does anyone have any specific reasons they use Zbrush over 3D coat? Any limitations or tech bugs that have keep you more on the zbrush side? Thanks guys! :)

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I use ZBrush for sculpting mainly because it's industry standard so the tools, matcaps, custom brushes, etc available are pretty extensive.

I use 3D Coat for retopo though, and heavily for painting textures on objects, weapons. It's a great program.
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    3D coat was advertised as a voxel sculpting program so many people don't realize that now it has completely new surface sculpting engine in addition to old voxel one.
    Surface mode has its own set of brushes and works just great IMO.
    After getting used to it, it is painful to go back to ZBrush.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Some of the cuts made in this model, especially near the end (@12min), would take a lot longer in Zbrush. I'm tempted to try it for a cube or something simple in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5oQnOfM7Jo
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In just some of my simple stress testing over the past week or so of 3D coat I have really been blown away. I feel like because Zbrush was first around and has built such a large "Industry Standard" following its easy to blow over programs like 3d coat thinking that it must be inferior or worse overall.

Even myself right now made a post asking people to give me a sanity check if there wasn't something big I was missing haha.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    zbrush kicks some major ass out of 3d coat when it comes to stylized diffuse painting. i only use 3dcoat for details these days. zbrush is just soooo much faster.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    So far I've found Zbrush's sculpting tools easier to use but 3D Coat's painting tools better. Granted, I've used 3DCoat to paint textures for almost 3 years now but only used Zbrush in production for about a week or so.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it really depends on what you want to do, but the automasking of zbrush is far superior to any painting tool i ever used. it takes like 2 strokes to have a very very solid texturing base, that would take much longer in any other app.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering how seamlessly 3DCoat applinks work with Photoshop & Max I'm eager to give it's Zbrush applink a try. whynotbothgirl.gif
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm coming more from the point of view of an environment artist / prop artist where a lot of what I build has some element or being hard surface and I have tried my hardest to like Zbrush(for hard surface) but I always feel like im fighting it or doing some crazy work around while in 3D coat I hit one button and its done haha. Just my observation from the modeling point of view.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering how seamlessly 3DCoat applinks work with Photoshop & Max I'm eager to give it's Zbrush applink a try. whynotbothgirl.gif

nah i wouldn't use it for final quality work (unless paint + bakes will do the job, which on some projects is totally fine)
    but the lack of layers isn#t really a strength of zbrush and the link to PS is something i used once, burnt myself with bad projection and never touched again.

just an example

this is flat shaded one base color and 2 clicks to polypaint this

polypaint.jpg

with some polygroups prepared for quick masking this is ultra fast
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    it really depends on what you want to do, but the automasking of zbrush is far superior to any painting tool i ever used. it takes like 2 strokes to have a very very solid texturing base, that would take much longer in any other app.

Would you mind elaborating a bit on your process? Are you using the mask by AO feature? That option took a really long time to calculate for me so I'm curious what you're doing differently.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the link to PS is something i used once, burnt myself with bad projection and never touched again.

I'm going to record some 3Dcoat paint room videos this weekend, projection painting is one of the topics I'm going to cover.

I could imagine myself just exporting various cavity masks from zbrush, I think I would miss all the photoshop but in 3D paint tools I use in 3DCoat.

I also hope this comes to fruition:
    "We are in process of making principally new shaders with SSAO/SSS/PBR that are based on panorama."

I haven't been super active on the 3Dcoat forums but I believe the next update is targeted at painting improvements.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest wrote: »
    Would you mind elaborating a bit on your process? Are you using the mask by AO feature? That option took a really long time to calculate for me so I'm curious what you're doing differently.

automasking, as said, automask by cavity, automask by backfaces etc. its in the brush options, the masking features in tool are slow and shitty and not interactive at all.

@justin: 3dcoats projection is ace, and the screenshot transfer to PS is sick. I just wished they would support layermasks and other PS features.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    automasking, as said, automask by cavity, automask by backfaces etc. its in the brush options, the masking features are slow and shitty and not interactive at all.

@justin: 3dcoats projection is ace, and the screenshot transfer to PS is sick. I just wished they would support layermasks and other PS features.

You can create layer masks but not the same way as Photoshop - in blending select a layer from "linked layer". The bonus is that you can link multiple layers to that layer as well as inverse the linkage. I typically name the layer "_____ mask", paint bright neon colors and set it's opacity to 0%. I'll either "apply layer mask" before exporting my final PSD or just remember what layers needed the mask and create layer masks inside Photoshop. It will make sense in my video.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I haven't been super active on the 3Dcoat forums but I believe the next update is targeted at painting improvements.
    3dcoat...I just wished they would support layermasks and other PS features.

Andrew is on vacation atm but once he gets back he said that he'll start working on (PS-compatible) layer masks and axial (radial?) symmetry.

It finally got paint layer groups recently too which was certainly a welcome improvement.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I'm coming more from the point of view of an environment artist / prop artist where a lot of what I build has some element or being hard surface and I have tried my hardest to like Zbrush(for hard surface) but I always feel like im fighting it or doing some crazy work around while in 3D coat I hit one button and its done haha. Just my observation from the modeling point of view.

What's this magic hard surface button you speak of? :) I'm curious if you're doing complex hard surface sculpts or just roughing some blocky shapes out.

I prefer 3dcoat for texture painting and retopo, but zbrush for sculpting. I don't like the feel of 3d coat's voxel brushes as much, and surface mode doesn't have real subdivision layers, so it's not quite as nice IMO as standard sculpting in zbrush. It's still very capable in a production environment, though. Just gotta modify your workflow to match the toolset.
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's this magic hard surface button you speak of? :) I'm curious if you're doing complex hard surface sculpts or just roughing some blocky shapes out.

I prefer 3dcoat for texture painting and retopo, but zbrush for sculpting. I don't like the feel of 3d coat's voxel brushes as much, and surface mode doesn't have real subdivision layers, so it's not quite as nice IMO as standard sculpting in zbrush. It's still very capable in a production environment, though. Just gotta modify your workflow to match the toolset.

An example would be just how quick it is in 3D coat to even cut a hole through the middle of another mesh, or add bevel cuts with a spline that I can edit and preview then undo and still edit the same spline to my liking. 2d grid plane snapping for details is also amazing. I've never really been a fan of the zbrush gizmo either( I wish I had an option for a traditional one). But just to get to a shape that im looking for and having full creative freedom to create shapes on the fly just is easier in 3d coat and the tools dont get in my way like they do for precision work for Zbrush.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    goddamn, i gota get on that 3dcoat hard surface sculpting.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    3d coat is an awesome tool, a lot of great tools that make live easier. Its my main application for painting textures & sculpting.
    Although I have to admit it has some features that frive me nuts.

E.g.: gizmos are just a pain, working on a grid seems to me somewhat impossible, managing different splines is not comfortable, on some occasions (not very often) I have the issue that a certain action (happens on different tools) can not be undone. Although I can't reproduce this it happens from time to time.
    The voxel sculpting is very nice but I'm not sure if I would use it for hardsurface work. Maybe minor assets can be easily slapped together and used as detail elements in a classical hardsuface model.
    The brush-engine for voxelsculpting is lacking depending on the situation. Getting very fine details requires a few strokes and some undo's. Or when using the line-brush-setting in voxel-mode the brush will extrude twice on each end-point of the line. For most issues you can find some way arround.

All in all I would definately recommend 3Dcoat. The program-features grow steadily and much is improving over time, but I would like to see them improving more on some tools, handling.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    I use Zbrush because it's free from religious admonitions and attempts to question my moral integrity. The proselytizing in 3D Coat is admittedly toned down from what it used to be, but it's still more than I'm willing to support. (I'm fine with whatever people want to believe. I'm also unwilling to give money to people who insist on preaching at me in a secular space.)
  • arcitecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    3dc has been really janky in the past (and still gives me lots of frustrating problems), so its probably where zbrush was maybe 5+ years ago. I use it for retopo, quick UVs and some painting but don't have time or inclination to learn the whole sculpting side of things.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I have both, but I actually find Zbrush is easier for me. Because management of the resoultion of voxels is, at least last I checked, relatively destructive. In zbrush you can go back forth up and down left and right inside out and diagonal on your sculpting workflow.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I can't seem to get in to 3d coat, in much the same way i could never use lightwave.. zbrush is my package of choice and will stay that way for now.
    I would even choose mudbox over 3d coat tbh.
    I might give it another try at some point, buts a bit frustrating somehow.