Home General Discussion

Warcraft Movie

Replies

• arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    thats just my opinion!, boo hoo! why cant i have an opinion too!,LOL, yes of course is hyperbole, lighten up, i am not a very serious person. i just notice that every thread on anything not out yet had people saying how horrible it is with almost no knowledge of the final product. Sorry to ruin this sophisticated colloquy on modern cinema.
  • Gnutmi
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Orcs in wow are green because they drank the demon blood. Originally the orcs are like the ones in the screenshot. At least thats what wowlore says.
  • Eric Chadwick
    I happen to like diarrhea through a straw. Not so much the raping part.

Looking forward to the film!
  • slipsius
    arshlevon wrote: »
    thats just my opinion!, boo hoo! why cant i have an opinion too!,LOL, yes of course is hyperbole, lighten up, i am not a very serious person. i just notice that every thread on anything not out yet had people saying how horrible it is with almost no knowledge of the final product. Sorry to ruin this sophisticated colloquy on modern cinema.

Dafaq? Where is this insta-hate you speak of? I'm seeing very little since those new pics have been posted. this thread is very old, and any hat eon the first page is people worried they will fuck it up. but that was before any screen shots at all. And given how all video game movies have turned out so far, I feel that worry is 100% justified.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I would be more concerned why they're hiding the art in that yellow/brown filter.

Untitled-2.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks a little too hot to read like skin to me.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I always remember the backlash Nolan got for casting Heath Ledger as the Joker. That is my go-to anecdote for why first-blush reactions should be curbed and/or ignored.

Its a big Orc: Off to a good start, I say!
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Arsh, nice to see you.

You've been in the industry long enough to know how it goes with this sort of big franchise release. Everyone pokes and prods and guesses and speculates and casts mostly baseless opinions about every little thing that comes out. It's part of being excited by the possibilities of the movie.

There's no doubt in my mind that this thing is going to look gorgeous - I think the single screenshot we've been arguing over supports that. Whether the writing and direction hold together is something that remains to be seen.
  • slipsius
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks a lot like a high budget Warcraft cutscene which I guess is positive. If nothing else it's undoubtedly going to be the movie that's most true to the game on which it's based. Will be interesting to see how the real life humans fit in that very CG world.

With any luck, the leak will coax Legendary to release the full, non-crooked trailer a little sooner.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    From what Duncan Jones mentioned on twitter the trailer is due out in November which is also when BlizzCon takes place. I imagine they were going to save it for then, but with the leak I'll be interested if that changes things.
  • slipsius
    Ya, it's possible the trailer they plan on showing in november is different as well. But I definitely need to see a HD version. See if the CG holds up or not. It's possible what they showed isnt even finished yet too. If they are still doing post or not. Apparently that's what's going on with the deadpool trailer. they would release it now, but all the CG shots arent done yet?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Keanu wants an HD version as well.
    1341784648445101226.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah a lot of the visual effects in comic con trailers aren't finished, so I hope they don't feel pressured to show the trailer to the public until it more accurately represents the final product.

Anyway, as is that trailer was pretty boring. I look forward to seeing something that's not leaked terrible footage though.
  • slipsius
    Interesting change on the right. haha.

CJ6QtVzVAAAQ-VF.jpg:large

Also. Pet Peeve. I really hate that people are calling this a WoW movie. It is NOT a WoW movie. It's just a W movie. Just Warcraft. WoW is a game based on Warcraft lore / IP.
  • slipsius
    also.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_J8k43gUhY[/ame]

go to the actual video on youtube. fly over, click and drag to look around.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    From what i read, what was shown wasn't intended to be a trailer, it was footage cut together. Stoked to see an official trailer. November isn't too far off, have gone a long time with virtually no information on this at all, can wait a bit more for the real thing :)

Stuff looks cool from the pirate cam, love the shapes of the orcs.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    So that CG Orc and all the armor shown off at Comic Con totally got my interest (already somewhat interested as I love all things Warcraft) but then I saw those Comic Con posters. Damn those look BAD, like SyFi original movie level quality bad. Heard mixed things on the footage, some loved it, some not so much.

Guess I will have to wait till Nov to really see. Its cool the director is a massive Warcraft fan though.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I know it's from WC3, but I really wish the movie was About Arthas, the Culling of Stratholme, and his descent into becoming the Lich King.
  • slipsius
    Gotta do an intro movie first, Jacque. The warcraft community isnt enough to make a high budget film profitable. First contact, THEN the good stuff :D
  • vargatom
    I did not expect to see a pregnant orc woman.
    Don't get me wrong here - this has actually got me even more interested.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    The treatment of the lower lip is interesting. Quite thin and really stretched out. I guess that's a conscious decision to help with the speech or expressions, but I'm surprised they didn't pull the tusks in a little bit so as not to distort the shape quite as much.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    So close to release in the USA! I'm going to see this in IMAX. Anyone else pumped for this slightly cheezy, bright colored, and probably ridicoulus movie that encompasses everything lovable about warcraft? 

I know it's getting bad reviews right now but I've pretty much decided to ignore any critics that haven't played the game since anyone unfamiliar with the IP is probably not going to understand anything going on in the whole movie.  Youtube reviews from people who enjoy playing the game say the movie is extremely fun and although it has it's problems is still overall an amazing experience. 

And of course.... the CGI is pretty mind blowing for the orcs. The attention to detail is nuts!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm with Joel.  The 10 year old me is asking me to see it.

He will be obliged.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I happen to like diarrhea through a straw. Not so much the raping part
    ..what just.. I...
  • Eric Chadwick
    I knew this would happen, ha. It's in reference to an earlier post.
  • Optinium
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Watched it a couple of days back on iMax 3D. I originally cancelled my pre-order tickets after reading some reviews but decided to go on the day anyway.
    My expectations were really lowered after many critics panned it however I really enjoyed it, far FAR more then I thought I would.
    It definitely has issues and I was a bit concerned with some castings but it ends up being pretty faithful and really entertaining. I'm a Warcraft fan so read bias where you want but I tried to remain really objective when viewing the film but found myself being way more engaged.
    There is plenty of fan service, which I really enjoyed and the orc segments were fantastic.
    The film ends in an odd way and there are a couple of special effects where the live action characters don't fit the environments at all, some of the added/reworked lore works with varying degrees of success, some is great and other bits are weird or fall flat.

Anyway it's a solid 8/10 in my book, as I WoW fan I'd maybe even go higher as the longer/more I think about the film the more I find that I really liked it.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    @Eric Chadwick I know - obviously couldn't let it slip though! ;)
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Looking forward to seeing this next Friday.  I'm in the process of printing out some Hearthstone's right now.  I plan on painting them with blue insets for Alliance and red for Horde and giving them out to people dressed up at the premiere. 
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Pretty cool Praetus! Shame this movie, critically, is a bust. Hopefully the fans will have some positive things to say. The artists deserve some much needed recognition.   B)
  • Quotidian
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Just saw the movie, honestly. I dont get why the critics hate it this much. I mean, sure, its no citizen cane, but its a solid 7 or 8 out of 10 for sure.
    Its a solid movie, I was expecting giant plot holes and super underdeveloped characters, but I dindt feel any of that to be honest. 

first of it looks amazing, and if you have played wow you will absolutely recognize places from the games, and seeing classic locations in super real HD just made me smile.  also thers an awesome murloc cameo in which I swear they literary liften the classic murloc noise directly from the game.
    Overall the Orcs are definitely the best part, Durotan and Orgrim have this great chemistry together, my only crit there is I wish there where more of it. My only real crit is probably just that, the pacing.
    I feel like there was (or should have been) another 30 minutes of character development and slow paces scenes that  where removed to make the theatrical version. so lets hope for a directors cut!
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    From what I hear about it, the movie was made for Warcraft fans. Everyone I know who plays WoW has been happy with it, and everyone I know who hasn't  seemed lukewarm. Though I've a small sample group, and I'll probably wait until it hits Netflix to watch it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It's a shame, because you can make good movies that don't rely on the crutch of fandom, the Marvel movies have been doing pretty amazing.  Most of the reviewers seem to hate the overstuffedness of this movie.  If there's a lot of lore you need to take things slow, look at the slow build up to the first Avengers movie, imagine trying to shove that all into one film?

I'm also bummed because Duncan Jones made one of my all time favorite movies of all time, Moon, it's too soon for him to fall into the soul sucking hollywood blockbuster machine.
  • MrFunk
    Offline / Send Message
    MrFunk null
    Did anyone else think the humans and their armor didn't work at all? I enjoyed every minute of orcish stuff (especially the close ups of durotans face looked impressive as hell), but the humans armor looked waaay too ridiculous in my opinion. 
  • oglu
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Was a huge warcraft fan, thought the movie was a great!  Tons of fan service and easter eggs, even friends who never played warcraft enjoyed it! 
  • slipsius
    MrFunk said:
    Did anyone else think the humans and their armor didn't work at all? I enjoyed every minute of orcish stuff (especially the close ups of durotans face looked impressive as hell), but the humans armor looked waaay too ridiculous in my opinion. 
    I sort of agree with this. But, at the same time, don't? I just got back from the movie, and honestly, i loved it. A solid 7, maybe 8? Yes, it had its problems. But, I found it pretty entertaining. The orcs were so fucking good. But some of the background fight animations looked pretty lame. Not in terms of CG quality, but more so the acting choices. Like one character would stand there and just get stabbed without really trying to defend. Or a huge hammer attack without throwing their body into it. just their arm. 

As for the human armour though. I think they nailed the style to make it fit real humans. But I feel like it would have been better if the humans were CG as well. The reason the game feels so great with the large armour is because the humans themselves have exaggerated proportions. Having these huge orcs next to real humans just seems a bit off, especially when you throw armour on them that doesnt really fit in the real world that we know. If the humans had larger proportions, they could do even larger armour and it would all feel ok. That's my 2 cents, anyways. 

Either way, ya. I really enjoyed it. I get why some critics wouldnt like it. But it certainly doesnt deserve the 23% on rotten tomatoes. It was very much enjoyable, and I cant wait to watch it again, nor can I wait to see the next one! My entire group of 8 all really liked it.
  • Bhrazz
    Offline / Send Message
    Bhrazz polycounter lvl 17
    Clos3d said: ( 2015 )
    I feel they fucking up already by cheaping out on the director.....

CG might be good, hopefully as good as the WoD trailer. But I'm really scared is gonna be a ''B'' movie on the story side....

I was hoping for a launch and marketing like final fantasy 2001. I'm afraid is gonna be very ''niche''.
    Hello old me, we learned something today. Shutup till the movie is out. It was excellent.

Seriously folks, this movie delivered, with the exception of glowing eyes, it was definetly worth the money.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I've never been a fan of the "traditional" Warcraft style.  Don't care for the oversized pauldrons, the orcs, massive forearms, and its fantasy lore never struck me as anything special.

That being said, a friend who is a fan invited me and my wife along when it released and I can safely say I enjoyed it.  Was a good film, looked great, saw some human things stab some not human things only to get crushed by large hammers.  Pacing was good, didn't get lost at all despite not having any previous knowledge of the world/locations/characters; didn't feel like I wasted my time or money at all. 

Doesn't make me want to go jump into WoW or anything, but it was a good watch.   Pleasantly surprised.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I really liked the movie. It didn't feel like someone slapped a game title to the film and said it has orcs, violence it's warcraft... I enjoyed the story. I felt the goosebumps I come to expect from watching blizzard game cinematics, like Starcraft, Diablo and Warcarft 3. The orcs felt amazing to me. I hope they get to make other ones.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius said:

But I feel like it would have been better if the humans were CG as well. The reason the game feels so great with the large armour is because the humans themselves have exaggerated proportions. Having these huge orcs next to real humans just seems a bit off, especially when you throw armour on them that doesnt really fit in the real world that we know. If the humans had larger proportions, they could do even larger armour and it would all feel ok. That's my 2 cents, anyways. 

That probably would have helped the battle scenes a lot, had a hard time buying into these tiny humans being able to go toe to toe with Orcs.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:

But I feel like it would have been better if the humans were CG as well. The reason the game feels so great with the large armour is because the humans themselves have exaggerated proportions. Having these huge orcs next to real humans just seems a bit off, especially when you throw armour on them that doesnt really fit in the real world that we know. If the humans had larger proportions, they could do even larger armour and it would all feel ok. That's my 2 cents, anyways. 

That probably would have helped the battle scenes a lot, had a hard time buying into these tiny humans being able to go toe to toe with Orcs.
    I actually thought the boomsticks helped make the battle scenes more believable by quite a bit. I mean... a pistol that blows off an entire orc hand? That's intense and awesome! The wierd thing is that I'm seeing a lot of positive responses from the people who saw the movie... but I feel like it has come and gone already with a very small ammount of people who actually went to see the movie. What happened to all the WoW players in the USA? I know the movie made a ton of money in China but honestly I expected it to do better in america then it did.
  • soulstice
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    And that movie was the explanation to  "WHY YOU DON'T GET RID OF THE HOLYTRINITY IN A MMORPG" Seriously if the human had healer and mage this story would have been entirely different 8D

Wasn't a bad movie at all, pretty good fan service, but not enough elf action. Looking forward the next one !
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    artquest said:

I actually thought the boomsticks helped make the battle scenes more believable by quite a bit. 

.....What happened to all the WoW players in the USA? I know the movie made a ton of money in China but honestly I expected it to do better in america then it did.

they did but I was referring to the sword fights, and if it wasn't for China (I heard they broke records with this movie there) I'm guessing there wouldn't be a second one? Let's see if they approach the next one differently
  • oglu
    Online / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    isnt legacy pictures owned by a chinese investor.? think they will make the second one work for china...
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Im all for a sequel, the movie wasnt perfect, but def good enough to get a change for refinement. and hopefully some elf and dwarf action!
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    oglu said:
    isnt legacy pictures owned by a chinese investor.? think they will make the second one work for china...
    It belongs to Wanda, which is one of China's biggest companies, which also owns many cinemas. Over the weekend doubts came up over the record ticket sales. As with many things coming out of China, statistics and numbers can't be fully relied on. Huge numbers of tickets also make it into the hands of scalpers. They're quite common - you usually find them close to the box offices at most Chinese cinemas. Here's the article: http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-warcraft-ticket-sales-come-scrutiny/

• artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm said:
    oglu said:
    It belongs to Wanda, which is one of China's biggest companies, which also owns many cinemas. Over the weekend doubts came up over the record ticket sales. As with many things coming out of China, statistics and numbers can't be fully relied on. Huge numbers of tickets also make it into the hands of scalpers. They're quite common - you usually find them close to the box offices at most Chinese cinemas. Here's the article: http://chinafilminsider.com/china-box-office-warcraft-ticket-sales-come-scrutiny/

Does it matter if scalpers or viewers bought the tickets? The money is still paid to the theatre right?