Home General Discussion

Save your eyes - Adjust brightness

Replies

• Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Damn... my fiance and I both installed it and we experienced that same eye-relaxing phenomenon over 30 seconds or so. It was like some tiny ninja loosened his grip on my eyeballs! The muscles in my temples started to relax too!
  • Noodle!
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you Alec! I don't know how many times I've tried to explain to people at length what your image shows in the wink of an eye. Saved for future situations!
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    [HP] wrote: »
    To everyone using Spider monitor calibration devices, just scrap them. (I hate them with a passion)

You guys are artists for crying out loud, trust your eyes and calibrate your own monitors!
    And if you need to tweak contrast, sharpness, etc, defo use this site: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
    Ugh. No. Terrible advice. Either you used your colorimeter incorrectly, it was broken, or your monitor is no good.

Why wouldn't any digital artist want to use a calibrated monitor, besides not being able to afford it? There is no reason.

EDIT - Aaaaand other people have beaten me to it. With diagrams, too!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I only have experience with LaCie calibrators which run about $350, maybe Spider calibrators are just cheap?
  • JFletcher
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I don't get it.

My screen just gets Deus Ex'ified.

I have tried this since early yesterday and I still notice the very obvious yellow tinting. The only time my Eye interprets it as white is when I see my screen indirectly, like, in the corner of my eye.

Maybe my eyes are just already fucked up to the point of no return. :(
  • glynnsmith
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I don't get it.

My screen just gets Deus Ex'ified.(

Haha. Jarate'd.
  • Sandro
    it as white is when I see my screen indirectly, like, in the corner of my eye.
    Because there are almost no color cells near periphery of retina :poly124:

I installed this app yesterday and it was relief at first, but now my eyes are strained again - as if I were trying to read a book in low-light conditions.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I only have experience with LaCie calibrators which run about $350, maybe Spider calibrators are just cheap?

I also have a lacie system. I think the older spyder calibration tools were junk but the newer ones are supposed to be improved.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    JFletcher wrote: »
    I don't get it.

My screen just gets Deus Ex'ified.

I have tried this since early yesterday and I still notice the very obvious yellow tinting. The only time my Eye interprets it as white is when I see my screen indirectly, like, in the corner of my eye.

Maybe my eyes are just already fucked up to the point of no return. :(

Either alter the settings so it doesnt go quite as orange or just keep using it. I've been using for probably 4-6 months now and can honestly say i don't notice it change at all anymore, the orangey colour in the evenings just looks completey normal, and in the mornings the white is fine on my eyes. And i no longer get headaches anymore :)
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    250 cd/m^2 it's the ideal to don't hurt our eyes, and of course, a good contrast ratio.

You don't need an expensive lacie calibrator. Just take a printed sample with the standard colors, and calibrate it with your eyes :). Too many headaches are produced due to "invisible flickering", grab your camera and use it to look your monitor.

This app doesn't help at all. The working conditions are another factor, like for example working in a room with not much light affecting the lcd.

All monitors need to be calibrated. This one has too much brigtness, and tweaking its values you can work very well. http://www.pccomponentes.com/hp_zr2440w_24__led_ips.html
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I made this image up a while ago to illustrate why content should be produced on accurate displays even if the consumers aren't viewing it that way:

or even simpler: when the art director reviews your work you want him to see the exactly same picture you've been working on. (extend this example to the entire gfx pipeline)

Otherwise you just end up with nonsense reviews where you get tasks like "make it brighter/darker/etc" and artists are thinking "wth? it's already so dark/yellow/bright/whatever".
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    I decided to stick with it for a day, there's still a noticeable tint and my eye didn't really 'relax' as such. But I went to turn it off and almost felt my eyes being raped by the brightness.
    Not too sure if this is a blessing or a curse :(
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Too many headaches are produced due to "invisible flickering", grab your camera and use it to look your monitor.

That's a crt issue though, due to how lcd monitors work they do not flicker.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    anyone know of a way to automatically turn f.lux off when you launch certain apps?
    I keep forgetting to turn it off when I do photoshop stuff...
  • Mike Yevin
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    definitely helps out a ton with eye strain, ive been using it for 3 days now and i am liking it so far

i could also go for an auto off setting while certain applications are open or running. its easy to forget this thing is on after using it a while
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    apparently they want to add this feature for the next version, according to their FAQ
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Good stuff for learners. I was about to get glasses because most of the time I am using computer, and I've been having that sting feeling in my eyes for a while.

After installing this, that sting just vanished. =\

It is indeed not good for texturing, but hay, it may serve well for me since I am still learning. :)
  • rolfness
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    I kinda like it..
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    so this just sets the monitors white point to match ambient light?
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Really liking it. For the past few weeks I've been having a sharp sting in my right eye from eye strain/fatigue. Since using this I haven't had that at all.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    eld wrote: »
    That's a crt issue though, due to how lcd monitors work they do not flicker.

Ignorance makes happines :D. I've been working for years with a professional CRT and as much, it had the typical horizontal lines going down we can't see with our eyes. The Flickering is not only a CRT problem, too many tft lcd monitors have the same issue. I returned a Dell 2408wfp due to that problem (that monitor was a total crap).

And if you are exceptic and need proofs, here you are:
    http://blog.whiteblaizer.com/2008/03/dell-2408wfp-decepcionante/

Watch the video there.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You guys complain too much. Try running this software on a laptop screen that literally is a gradient and see how much it makes sense.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    the light in the room where my pc sits has the color of skylight so guess this will not work for me because the programm tints the screen orangeish when it gets dark outside.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Davison, you can adjust the settings to match other kinds of lighting. :)
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I'd wager that if you haven't calibrated your monitor, it's probably set too bright.

Manufacturers set them at the brightest most colorful settings so they will look "better" in comparison to others at the store.

Calibrate properly, including brightness, and you might find the same effect of eye strain relief. I can't fathom the idea of using something that dynamically adjust the settings on my monitor if it was one I was using to create content.

Also, first get a non crappy monitor. Anyone creating content should be using at the very least a low end ips tech monitor in my opinion.

Not saying that I can't see the possible benefit of such a program, but I wouldn't want to be using it when I'm creating anything.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    im working under daylight lamps, this totally kills everything
  • Jeremy Wright
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Have to say, this has helped me a lot. I was actually having eye twitches a few weeks ago, and they've stopped since using F.lux.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You guys complain too much. Try running this software on a laptop screen that literally is a gradient and see how much it makes sense.

this.
  • Tenchi
    Woah, let it run then switched it off after I noticed colours were quite warm; I never realised how bright my laptop settings are, long term this could be most beneficial ^^