Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] dead space plaza - wip

yodude87
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
hello guys, working on a new scene here :)

its based on two concepts from dead space extraction:

2hhdoxx.jpg

124hcfc.jpg

its two concepts of the same place, from different angles. there are some discrepancies between them, so im trying to have them blend in the best way.

havent got much yet, this is what i have so far:

3091w60.jpg

theres no skydome yet, the color scheme still has to be fixed, so much to do yet. just showing some modelling, texturing and composition, and asking you guys for whatever crits you might have... having other eyes look at what im doing usually help ^^
cnc's more than welcome :)

Replies

• Vulgertarian
    I'd say its looking good so far. I wish I could see a bit closer though.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    2111e8g.jpg

2yvw3r4.jpg

iofbew.jpg

there are some spots where the textures are kinda sloppy... i plan on giving them some more texture love after ill have the whole scene placed. sort of like refining it all.
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Seems good so far!
    I'll hold off major critiques until you've come a bit further with it :)

Just be wary that some of your textures are looking a little dark.
    Remember that the diffuse colour of your texture is how it will look when fully lit. Your dark buildings and plant pots are not going to be picking up much light compared to the ground - whereas the concept has these objects a lot closer in tone.

I hope that helps anyway!
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Great start, looking forward to seeing this all messy and dirtied up.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input guys ^^

updating:

jkgcib.jpg

added ceiling, lamp poles next to the police building, dead space crates (which arent in the concept, but i thought would give a nice touch... planning on adding a broken variation scattered a bit around), small props like cups on tables; fixed the scale on the floor tiles, played a bit with lighting and some textures.

have to fix the tree foliage, its VERY dark after building the ligthing... must have forgotten to add lightmaps. will try and fix it tomorrow :)

crits are welcome ^^
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Can't tell if your textures are supposed to be concrete or metal.
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Can't tell if your textures are supposed to be concrete or metal.

yea, gotta work the speculars a bit better... leaving this to the end, focusing mainly in blocking the scene as a whole, having it finished, then in the end giving it some texture love ^^

update:

53tkky.jpg
    35buxy9.jpg
    1957o6.jpg
    11kifk6.jpg

still havent added any decal to the scene (im thinking of getting a somewhat different look from the concept, give it a bit more of a gory feeling), neither post processing. still have to make a skydome (as it stands its just a volumetric fog); and as said before, make the textures better, fix some reflection vectors, change the texture in the vector so that tiling isnt so obvious, and some other fixes. but mostly, GET DIRTY AND BLOODY ^^

crits are more than welcome :)
  • D.Carmine
    ?ui=2&ik=b0bf50726a&view=att&th=1378698f8431ea36&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h2nyh7ck0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-JDf1mbYiLUSiN9pS1kvSr&sadet=1337993027654&sads=cWU2MmWj2OxkNC0Jp9e-H6Bx1zQLooking good. Much better than the last person I saw attempt this concept.

- D. Carmine
    ?ui=2&ik=b0bf50726a&view=att&th=1378698f8431ea36&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=f_h2nyh7ck0&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-JDf1mbYiLUSiN9pS1kvSr&sadet=1337993027654&sads=cWU2MmWj2OxkNC0Jp9e-H6Bx1zQ
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    tiny textures update, and added the broken lamp/tree prop:

5ui93m.jpg

xm26bl.jpg

s3mzv8.jpg
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    holy cow, im in desperate need of help here... im building my lighting in medium setup, lightmass on. have a lm importance volume wrapped around my scene, so its all good. but whenever i build the lighing, i get this:

2ewfmuv.jpg

wtf is wrong?

i dont know if a) there are way too many shadowmaps;

b) my pc is way too old and cant handle this anymore;

c) for some weird reason, i got unlucky.

if anyone can help, id greatly appreciate... tried lowering down the lightmap resolution on most of my props, to no success yet...

edit: well it seems its my computer... anyway, found this on duh inturnetz:

"buy memory...

other than that, try to create a lightmassimportantvolume to restrict the zone. If it still crash try to build the light by selecting half of the scene and the other half after."

will be trying it as soon as im done with watching this episode of GoT... and will let you guys know how it goes :)
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm my guess would be the video card does not have enough ram since it says video memory. I could be way off though.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I'm with biofrost. Don't think it's the RAM, but the GPU memory, which is not really upgradable. You can test, though, by taking out one of your RAM strips and seeing if it crashes earlier.

Other than that, I don't really know how to fix it. Making a smaller zone? Lowering the lightmap resolutions?

Out of curiosity, what kind of PC do you have, and is there any kind of budget for upgrades or perhaps a new system? Also where are you - just the largest nearby city will be fine. I have an old GeForce 9600 that you could borrow for a bit (I would want it back because it's a backup-card for two boxes here).
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    I'm with biofrost. Don't think it's the RAM, but the GPU memory, which is not really upgradable. You can test, though, by taking out one of your RAM strips and seeing if it crashes earlier.

Other than that, I don't really know how to fix it. Making a smaller zone? Lowering the lightmap resolutions?

Out of curiosity, what kind of PC do you have, and is there any kind of budget for upgrades or perhaps a new system? Also where are you - just the largest nearby city will be fine. I have an old GeForce 9600 that you could borrow for a bit (I would want it back because it's a backup-card for two boxes here).

tried the "solution" i found on the udn forum, and it worked - building the lighting in "sets": half the scene first, then the latter half. at least it will work until i get myself a new pc xD

im working on a laptop, windows xp SP3, 2 gb of ram, core2duo T5670, with a radeon mobility HD 3430. just by saying these specs feels like im back in the 90's hahahahahah

thanks a lot for it, thats why i love polycount :) but dont worry, ill be fine ^^ planning on getting myself a new system soon, so i can get rid of all these problems :S thanks a lot again for being there :)
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    follows some screengrabs from the scene as it stands now:

qspg29.jpg
    nv12zm.jpg
    nlr22w.jpg

starting to turn it into some sort of bloody mess :P found tav's blog (he was one of the environment artists for dead space), and it served as a good inspiration:

http://www.tavshande.com/2008/ds/wires/
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    With regards to your last issue with building lighting, that particular issue was indeed to do with video memory as I've had it before.

You get the "Lighting build failed. See log for details." message if you run out of RAM - a problem that I promptly solved using an ingenious solution... by upgrading to 16GBs 0_o

Edit: Your scene is coming along nicely by the way! :D
  • yodude87
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, its been a long time since i last updated this work... had some other stuff going on, projects, university, etc, so got time shortened... only now could i get back at it.

so, if im not mistaken, since my last update (wow, feels like ages ago), i added a post process chain, loads of props, decals, dirt, texture retouching (some felt really bad, and didnt read as well as i wanted them to - eventhough i still think theres room for so much improvement), new dynamic skydome, fixed some issues i was having (didnt find a definitive solution to the video memory problem tho... now anytime i wanna build lighting, i have to go to the lightmaps package, delete all the lightmaps and shadowmaps and bake it from scratch lol)... and some other minor things.

sorry for the crappy jpg compression, will be taking some hd shots when im done with it :P

will be upping some other screens later, for now ill post this

VCIdw.jpg

crits and comments are more than appreciated, would really love to hear from you guys ^^

edit: lights are not built. will be posting later closer shots, with built lights.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I think the one thing that you're missing, aside from the dramatic lighting, is the trash and overall dirtiness. Your cracks and holes don't feel realistic to me either. I think, generally, when there is a big hole in a window, there are a bunch of tiny cracks coming from it. I'd try to add in some of those small details. Definitely going in the right direction though, keep it up!