Dean polycounter lvl 9

Latest update

PEDESTAL 12-07:
combine_pedestal_1207.png

02-07:
020714_post_01.png

020714_post_02.png

Hi!

I'm working on a Half-Life Combine version of a monkey. The base is a beefed up capuchin monkey.

Plenty is still work in progress but I felt it was far a long enough to show and get some feedback (hit me!).

<EDIT>*snip*</EDIT>

Cheers,

Dean

Replies

• minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    This is so totally awesome, I can't help but think of this:
    evolution,game,graffiti,half,life-2315ce01a98483617e833fe876a98c59_h.jpg

I can't think of any improvements yet, I was gonna mention the lack of ears but I'm not sure monkey ears would really fit the awesome cyber-punk feel of this.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I love monkeys.
  • Steveeeie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW this is cool :)
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    @minorthreat, Computron, Steveeeie: Thanks!

It's been a while but here's an update:

<edit>*snip*</edit>

And some more pics with a test colour scheme (just blocking out the colours, feedback would be appreciated though!)

<edit>*snip*</edit>

I still got to fix some of the edges, as a lot of them are way to sharp at the moment. It's been mentioned that I'm creating details that are way too small for a normal game character (especially seeing as this guy is quite small himself). I really want to practice smaller/finer details though and have decided to make him a cinematic game character instead, which would then justify smaller details as the camera could be quite close.

Crits would be most welcome!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's that stuff on his back?

Have you considered giving him some weapon/tools? I think monkeys have a lot of potential for some great poses and animations.

Maybe give him a crowbar and have him hold it in one hand while hanging from a branch with the other, lol!
  • HDaniel999
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that looks so weird... but i like it! he have a face? because it looks like an entire robot, that model is so badass!
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Computron wrote: »
    What's that stuff on his back?

Have you considered giving him some weapon/tools? I think monkeys have a lot of potential for some great poses and animations.

Maybe give him a crowbar and have him hold it in one hand while hanging from a branch with the other, lol!

Gave him a gun, crowbar also sounds pretty awesome though, will think about that actually. Good tip:)
    HDaniel999 wrote: »
    Wow that looks so weird... but i like it! he have a face? because it looks like an entire robot, that model is so badass!

He hasn't...well I mean, he probably does but I haven't sculpted it haha.

Alright, I feel bad about not posting an update for such a long time, but life got in the way unfortunately. I'm glad to be posting one now though, redid a whole bunch of things and changed direction quite a bit. Working my way through the hipoly. Thoughts?:)

020714_post_01.png

020714_post_02.png
  • circle of friends
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Utterly ridiculous and absolutely amazing. I would be tempted to somehow make the goggles and face mask a little bit bigger as that's the main "combine" asset and it's getting a bit lost on the small monkey's head. Obviously you don't want to unbalance the model though. Great stuff.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    yea... it looks like from the side the monkeys face wouldn't fit in that mask properly. Like the mask needs to be longer (around the mouth) to give space for his face.

capuchin-monkey_smalldynamiclead_dynamic_lead_slide.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MFW:

uBmxZMD.png

Awesome job OP.
  • Dean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dean polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the replies!:) I agree on the mask, I changed it around a little and increased the size. I feel looks better now.

Working on the pedestal as well, here's a pic:

combine_pedestal_1207.png
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    That is feckin creepy... Chuck it a metal banana!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    A monkey with a gun, did not see that one before ! Cool work !