Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 8 - The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• timaustinw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this for sub-d modeling only? I built the week three mesh HP on my lunch break yesterday use 3DCoat voxels. Not sure if voxel modeling is cheating :)
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Man, modeling in Maya is kind of a pain compared to Blender for me. Does anyone have any nifty tips for how to make it go faster or easier?

Shaded:

9wLnQg1.png

Unsmoothed wire

Smoothed wire
  • MSanchez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought of tackling week 1's assignment as the shape of the pillow block bearing was a challenge to model out.

PillowBearing.98.jpg

Beauty shot.

pillow_bearing.jpg

3ds Max clay render.

The smoothed and unsmoothed wireframe here.
  • JamesHodgart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jed,

Modelling in Maya can be a bit of a pain compared to Max or MODO but these are a few things I picked up that help :)

There are a couple of really useful "tools" that aren't first apparent in Maya, one of which is the Slide Edge tool under the Edit Mesh menu :)

Once clicked you can select an edge to slide your Vertices, Edges or Faces along using the middle mouse button.

Set to Edge is another handy function that you can find by double clicking on the "Move" transform button on the left hand side.

Just select an edge/vert/face you want to move, then hit "Set to Edge". This then prompts you to select the edge you want the axis to constrain to :). Just remember and reset the tool afterwards to correct the Axis'.

Also, remember you can create a duplicate instance that mimics Max's symmetry modifier.

Lastly, selecting a vertex on one object and holding "V" will allow you to snap that vertex to another piece of geometry's vertex.

After selecting your vertex and holding "V", just click the middle mouse button over another objects vertex and watch it go! It's perfect for setting your your eight sided circle templates onto your faces.

I don't know if you know these already, but maybe someone can find out some useful stuff :D
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    C3LJfw0.png

Picked an object with a bit more material definition, So people can have a bit more fun texturing if they choose to :)

bNv3MzS.jpg
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JurassicPerk polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool object for week4, s6. This is gonna be fun :)
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Uhm... should we just make the 'clean' version of this, or go all the way and bring it to ZBrush, etc...? For now I'll just make the 'clean' version, anyway...
  • minoribus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool object and the ortho view should make it easier to match the proportions this time :)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    12254211626_9fc69a1359_z.jpg

12254212676_5f251507bd.jpg

Wireframe

When I first started this one I started with the rectangle insert part and then placed a 12 sided cylinder. After a lot of testing I realized I didnt have enough geometry and was making a mess.

I decided to work a 32 sided cylinder which gave me enough to work with.

This was a lot harder but I have learnt a bit more about polygon flow and the benefits of adding more geometry to play with.

Just a small request could S6 or anyone else give the names of the objects, I'm just guessing what they are are at the minute.

On to week 3!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14

Just a small request could S6 or anyone else give the names of the objects, I'm just guessing what they are are at the minute.

On to week 3!

To the best of my knowledge,

week 1: bolt and some kind of shaft bearing

week 2: rotary vane air pump with intake filter

week 3: flange plate bearing

week 4: cast boat window

EDIT: James, Check the spacing on your screws. The count is correct, but they should be evenly spaced around the face. The three on the bottom are too close.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    commador wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge,

week 1: bolt and some kind of shaft bearing

week 2: rotary vane air pump with intake filter

week 3: flange plate bearing

week 4: cast boat window

EDIT: James, Check the spacing on your screws. The count is correct, but they should be evenly spaced around the face. The three on the bottom are too close.

Thanks for the names, I just been naming them Week 3 and so on.

As for James, I found by using a 50 sided cylinder and extruding back 3 faces/7 face gap will get you close to the correct proportions. I find it very crucial to do a little math before tackling on these challenges (I think I spend more time planning then I do modeling).

*Side Note: Mirroring Week 2 is a bit complicated as it can throw off your measurements so be-careful. I noticed you may have mirrored this*
  • aferalva6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    12254211626_9fc69a1359_z.jpg

12254212676_5f251507bd.jpg

Wireframe

When I first started this one I started with the rectangle insert part and then placed a 12 sided cylinder. After a lot of testing I realized I didnt have enough geometry and was making a mess.

I decided to work a 32 sided cylinder which gave me enough to work with.

This was a lot harder but I have learnt a bit more about polygon flow and the benefits of adding more geometry to play with.

On to week 3!

I love the screw heads how did you do that. do you know any tuto for that
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    @James: There are definitely some things in there that I didn't know. Thanks a bunch! :D
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Had a go at this weeks and last weeks one:

aW8wNzC.jpg

Wires: http://i.imgur.com/AM80Z5I.jpg

last weeks, but messed up the squareness :(
    fI2XPAO.jpg
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This weeks shape was good practice. There are a few errors, but I'm quite happy with the result.

Wires
    12258509595_ab4e33afdb_o.png
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, this new shape seems to be more complex than I expected...
    I will probably start working on it tonight.
  • 4f6f3b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4f6f3b polycounter lvl 4
    Not perfect by any means, but I start a new job on Monday and have to learn Cinema 4D. I never used C4D before so this was good practice to learn where all the buttons are. :)

Wires here.
    JpeYL71.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador Thanks for the list. Yeah as soon as you mentioned it I was like damn. Now its just niggling at me. May go back and adjust it before putting it up on my portfolio.

AlexRodriguez The more complicated the more I just stare at the concept and imagine a wire frame.
    Yes I did mirror a bit on week 2, I will keep this in mind. I tend to do it if something is particularly complicated to do and I want the lines to flow exactly the same and I have complete edge loops going around (if you get what i mean)

aferalva6 Thank you, here is a Link for a unsmoothed wire frame of the screw head for you. Its alot easier showing you that then explaining. I did try and do it with half of the edges but it wasnt working. 24 seemed like a good number to use.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread is great for helping me learn MeshFusion. :P I won't post wires because it's not really in the spirit of the thread, but I'll share results...

Not totally happy with some of the shapes on this but I got tired of noodling with it, so:

Render_2014-02-02_06-50-33.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aferalva6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I 've finished took a while but I am happy with the result any comments will be very grateful.

I dont use beveling just I use edges to get nice edges. would that give me troubles if I want to bake in a low poly?.

screenshot000_by_aferalva-d74t0r8.png

JamesMeader :thank you for the picture, now I got it.
    Kazperstan: looks very nice not to much to say, maybe proportions are a little bit off but I am just been picky.
    commador : lovely render specially the glass effect
    4f6f3b: not bad if you are using a program for the first time
    WarrenM you got the shape right but it looks like it has to much beveling specially next to the screws
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    @Commador:
    Nice, how you make those Glas Effect?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM you got the shape right but it looks like it has to much beveling specially next to the screws
    Yeah, and I see now that I completely whiffed the 2 lower handles with the hex bolts in them. Yikes. That's not even close to what it's supposed to be ... heh.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu wrote: »
    @Commador:
    Nice, how you make those Glas Effect?

In Toolbag 2, when you make a transparent material, you can add a secondary reflection. In the drop down for that property, select "newtons rings" and just play with the sliders until you get something you like. :)
  • Tavor
  • rikcharr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rikcharr polycounter lvl 5
    Better late than never right?
    v5hw.jpg

Wires
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader: I did the same thing of duplicating to maintain symmetrical results, this ended poorly as my measurement where very thrown off like as you experienced. Think I ended up with 4 instead of 5 until I had to restart.

Took me almost the whole day but was able to accomplish the challenge. The proportions were a tad bit off as the reference wouldn't line up for me just the way I wanted.

Commador: Thanks for getting yours up although I never looked at your wires your model really helped in figuring out what to do to the underside. I added my own variation of how I believe it clamps.

dUq4OVB.png

Wires Closed
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Suddenly, this one is pretty hard ._. In all meanings!
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Week04's done:

>> Wireframes <<

week_04_beauty.jpg

week_04_shaded.jpg

Edit: had some time to improve the render.
  • shirogatsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu polycounter lvl 5
    Week04's done:

week_04_beauty.jpg
    *o* Great render!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, nice render!
    Which program did you use for this nice render? C,c
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shirogatsu wrote: »
    *o* Great render!
    Gazu wrote: »
    Yeah, nice render!
    Which program did you use for this nice render? C,c

Thanks, guys :)

These were done with Vray for 3Ds max. For the lighting I've used hdr light studio.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking sharp Jura! I'm curious, On your wireframe picture, The middle image, some of it looks subdivided, and some doesn't. Are those creased edges?

Just curious if the edges are a render effect or sub-D effect.

Regardless, Great render. Nice modeling ewY5Fx.png
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 wrote: »
    Looking sharp Jura! I'm curious, On your wireframe picture, The middle image, some of it looks subdivided, and some doesn't. Are those creased edges?

Just curious if the edges are a render effect or sub-D effect.

Regardless, Great render. Nice modeling ewY5Fx.png

Nice eye, s6 ;)

When I model, I use fake "sub-d" in max, to avoid making many edge loops around borders. That's why it looks like that in the middle image.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    after 4 weeks i was expecting the challenge to be somewhat harder.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Well, to be honest, no ones attempt so far is "flawless". That's not to say I can do any better, Or they are bad, my point is: You can always make something better. You can take a simple object and go into more detail than you usually would, Or have more continuous topology than you normal would.

(This isn't targeted directly at you, It's a general point.)

Just because you can recreate this object and recognize the end result doesn't mean it was done well, Or to the best of your ability.

Additionally a big reason why I choose this object is so people could move into baking the High poly, and texture it. I know it's a hard surface modeling challenge, but the quality of the high poly directly effects the final in-game result.

Perhaps next wee will be more challenging. I plan on bouncing around in difficulty. Some weeks fairly easy, Some weeks fairly hard. To keep things interesting and non repetitive (in theory) and give different people different opportunities to jump in and model.

Sorry to disappoint this week :\
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta agree with s6 on this one.

And, I'd like to add this: I don't know if you tried to model it, but, personally, when I looked at the reference, it looked fairly simple to do.
    But then, reproducing it and respecting all the details\proportions was not that easy. In fact, I wasn't able to do it with 100% accuracy :)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what was meant by the challenge being much harder (to easy Age22), but at the end of modeling this week challenge I can say this was the hardest of all the past weeks. I noticed atleast a 30% increase between difficulties from the past week.
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehy guys, does anybody feel like sharing their workflow to model this week object? It would be very interesting to see other people techniques :)

Here's mine: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264057/Repository/Polycount/Weekly/Res/week4_workflow.gif
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for posting that Jura, I think that's a great idea. I'll do my best to break it down when I do it.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehy guys, does anybody feel like sharing their workflow to model this week object? It would be very interesting to see other people techniques :)

Here's mine: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1264057/Repository/Polycount/Weekly/Res/week4_workflow.gif

Modeling Workflow

Great idea to bad I had already finished threw something together really quick. The base workflow is there, as you can see I did mine mainly based of a 8 sided cylinder cut in half.

But Jurrasic your workflow is great, would keep this in mind for next model.
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9

Thats some hybrid workflow you've got going there man, do you use any plugins for max to achieve some of those steps?
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros wrote: »
    Thats some hybrid workflow you've got going there man, do you use any plugins for max to achieve some of those steps?

Hi Mossbros, I don't use any plugin, but now I'm interested into know what part of the .gif made you think that?
  • goopypoopy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all, have some catch-up to do so I started screwing around with the first model from week 1. Love what I'm seeing in this thread!

All of my renders were taken with Viewport 2.0. 9rEXtEh.png

Smoothed/unsmoothed wires

Bonus 'low-poly' version (without additional edges for smoothing)
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Hi Mossbros, I don't use any plugin, but now I'm interested into know what part of the .gif made you think that?

Specifically the part where you went from polystrips to the block shape.

I never use polystrips but have always wondered in what application it should be used.
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros wrote: »
    Specifically the part where you went from polystrips to the block shape.

I never use polystrips but have always wondered in what application it should be used.

Oh, I see. Personally I use polystrips, because I find it easier to work on a 2D shape instead that a complete 3D mesh as long as I'm planning the topology and proportions. So, I keep it "2D" as long as possible.
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, finished mine. This week's model required a lot of assumptions and guessing... but I guess that's fine sometimes, too :)

w04_01.png

w04_01b.png

Wires.
  • Frezno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frezno polycounter lvl 9
    Wk02 Done! Definitely found this one a bit more challenging than wk01 but it was fun. Lots of interesting shapes and edge flows to puzzle through.

I think that's a great idea to share workflows as we all go through these. I'll have to try and document my stuff through the various stages on the next one.

And nice render JurassicPerk! I think you could tone down the noise a bit on the wood grain, but I'm digging the rest of it :)

Wires: smoothed and unsmoothed

And the render

toolbagRender_Shaded_zpsea9a3354.jpg
  • JurassicPerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frezno wrote: »
    And nice render JurassicPerk! I think you could tone down the noise a bit on the wood grain, but I'm digging the rest of it :)

Hey Frezno, thanks :) I'll definitely try to fix the wood.

Great entry for week2, by the way! Love the clean style of the render too.
  • Fisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    http://puu.sh/6JvLw.png

going to loosen up the edges and unwrap it tomorrow and add the screws :poly142: