Home General Discussion

Cutting the Cable Cord?

I've been thinking about cutting the cable cord. I don’t watch enough TV to justify $120-200/month that comcast charges and my cable bill keeps going up without anything really changing. Still, there are a handful of shows I like to watch. So I was wondering what do other people around here do?

Do you have cable?
Do you stream shows?
Do you buy them per episode or season through amazon or itunes?

I'm not really interested in anything illegal. If you are, that's fine for you I guess. I just think piracy hurts our industry enough and I don't want to hurt a brother or sister industry. But still $200 a month for mostly ads and garbage channels seems insane.

So far I've found:
SlingTV https://www.sling.com/
Roku https://www.roku.com/
Amazon Fire TV/Stick [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00GDQ0RMG"]Fire TV Stick - Official Site - Shop Now[/ame]

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    With Chromecast, Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon prime, you really get a better experience at a much lower price. Even if you have to buy some used copies of your favorite TV series to make up gaps in content, it'll still be much cheaper than cable, and no ads. There's a lot of in home streaming software to fit your exact needs, but I really don't see why anyone would need or want cable anymore.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    ZacD wrote: »
    With Chromecast, Hulu+, Netflix, and Amazon prime, you really get a better experience at a much lower price. Even if you have to buy some used copies of your favorite TV series to make up gaps in content, it'll still be much cheaper than cable, and no ads. There's a lot of in home streaming software to fit your exact needs, but I really don't see why anyone would need or want cable anymore.

this

i didnt even bother to buy a tv.
    well, i guess in germany its even worse because almost every german production is crappy
  • sulky
    Offline / Send Message
    sulky polycounter lvl 7
    Since july 2014 i am cable free. I go day to day with only an internet connection and mainly use Netflix and google play for movies and shows i can't stream. Like yourself my bill was getting more expensive and i was finding less and less time to watch TV. The" on demand" nature of those services was the selling point for me. I also got a cheap 50MB/S unlimited internet subscription so i dont worry about relying on the internet for all my entertainment.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I built an HTPC recently and found that all the major streaming services have backed off form supporting the various media center applications, so I had to mess around with hacky feeling user supported plugins. I ended up purchasing a FireTV stick and just using the HTPC as a steam box.

So don't build an HTPC if you're interested in a legal box that's easy to use for the whole family.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I kinda hate that companies are moving to supporting ChromeCasts and FireSticks and other basically HDMI sticks, but you can't really complain about needing a $40 stick vs a few hundred dollar HTPC. Basically the biggest hurdle is how user friendly you need to make the experience. If it's just for yourself, it's pretty easy to figure out a solution for each platform pretty quickly, but not everyone will want to do that.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I built a Raspberry Pi streaming box that can stream via some misc apps and hack-y setups on the Pi itself. Cost me $20 for the B+ model Pi (new one just came out with more RAM and a quad core ARM proc, which is $35 and allowed me to get the older model for cheaper), then matched it up with like $40 worth of more parts like nano wifi adapter, power supply, a low profile HDMI cable, and a nice micro SD card for apps and OS/storage on the device. Its really technical to setup, so if you want an out of box solution you could def rock a FireTV stick or ChromeCast, or equivalent.

I too, am cable free and just have internet services. I rock Netflix primarily (have a smart tv where I can stream netflix from directly without any other device), then use other misc streaming services for specific shows that I want to pick up and rent/stream movies and stream from my workstation in my room to living room Pi or Laptop.

Could even pick up an old, used laptop from a friend or if you have one laying around and convert it into an HTPC/streaming device. A lot you can do with old hardware and some ingenuity. Lots of fun projects for home theater setups and what not. Also best thing about the RaspPi, I can have two SD cards to swapping out OS's really quick, so I can use it to emulate like 30 different old school consoles and have a retro gaming console with 30secs of setup and unraveling my USB SNES controllers for some couch co-op Metal Slug 3. (retroPi project, completely open source and free software, just have to acquire ROMs legally :poly142: )
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I plugged a PC directly to my TV, I got a Logitech wireless keyboard.

I download some shows with the combination of netflix and some other streaming, youtube etc...

+150$ a month
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    When I moved back in 2006/07, I didn't bother reconnecting cable.
    Being cable free didn't really affect me too much since I was a 1-3 show per season kinda guy.
    I have GameCenter for hockey
    Netflix for movies and a few tv shows and I'm good.
    Youtube tends to have some good mini series on there as well, if I'm looking to kill some extra time.

Anyways,
    The reason I quit it was because I started to realize that I was flipping through channels for hours at night without finding a single show I enjoyed.

Be careful with comcast though. I've heard quitting them can quickly become a nightmare...
  • Count Vertsalot
    I'm just waiting for AMC to release their own service. I hope they do some day. AMC and HBO is all I watch. I have Charter cable, it's only $40 a month with HBO and Showtime because they're already foreseeing their inevitable doom I think and they're not big enough to buy government favors. It still sucks since they DVR tech they use is from a decade ago.

SlingTV sucks if you have more than one TV. You can only stream to one device at a time. Plus, you still have commercials and no DVR.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I don't have cable, only good internet. Until my work slows down i'm content with crunchyroll for now. I might start up my netflix again very soon though.

I simply don't watch shows enough to even bother with most things though XD.

I'm very interested in HBO go once that ends it's apple exclusivity.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    I literally have not watched TV/cable in about 4-5 years. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime is all I have and more than makes me happy.
    There are "options" if you want to watch additional stuff thats not supported by those, like AMC and HBO, etc. But personally I have more content than I could reasonably watch with those 3 options.
  • slipsius
    What Im starting to notice is if you arent paying a lot for cable, you`re still paying a lot for the unlimited internet you need to be able to stream all the shows you want... netflix may only be 8 bucks a month, but that higher end internet package sure as hell aint cheap.

but ya. most of my viewing is through netflix. only a couple shows i`ll watch online, and only for the lack of accessibility. An AMC stream would be nice. a cheaper HBO would be better. But I try to just stay with netflix. I can wait for most shows to get there.
  • Count Vertsalot
    A new version of Roku is releasing soon. Some say it's just a refresh to compete with the lower priced Apple TV, others think it might offer 4k streaming. I've owned Rokus for years. I use it more than my cable TV. Well worth the price. You can even stream content from your PC if you want.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I'm not really interested in anything illegal. If you are, that's fine for you I guess. I just think piracy hurts our industry enough and I don't want to hurt a brother or sister industry.

I was about to respond until I read that fine print in your post. Define hurting a Multi-Billion Dollar industry?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Boycotting and being vocal is a much better way to get back at corporate greed than pirating. There's a few situations where I don't get upset about people pirating, but if you can easily pay/buy a product for a reasonable price, there's really no excuse.
  • Mark Dygert
    We're not going down the piracy rabbit hole, if you're cool with it, that's great for you. I choose not too because I think it hurts people like me, on the front lines doing the grunt work. I'm not judging people that pirate stuff, but I think there are better ways to strike back at cooperate greed, like cutting off your cable, heh.

I think AMC is streaming through SlingTV's basic package?
    "Dish Network soon will add AMC — home of shows like “The Walking Dead,” “Better Call Saul” and “Mad Men” — to the core $20-per-month Sling TV service, which it is launching nationwide in the U.S Monday with 14 cable channels including ESPN."

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/dishs-sling-tv-to-add-amc-to-20-monthly-internet-package-launches-nationwide-1201428588/
  • Count Vertsalot
    *edit* I'll stay out of that hole for ya.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Haven't had cable for years. I don't remember the last time I actually owned some manner of cable or streaming service for my television.

If there's a show I'm interested in (there aren't many), I just stream the episode for free from the network's own website online after the episode airs. If I like the show enough that I want to watch the episode again, or at a time other than within several days of its airing, I'll just buy the season on DVD when it's released. If it's a show I missed that was out a year or two ago that's already on DVD, I'll rent it or borrow a DVD from a friend who owns it, and then buy it myself if I like it.

I honestly can't imagine owning cable anymore. ...commercials? I hardly remember what those are.
  • Count Vertsalot

I think AMC is streaming through SlingTV's basic package?

It is. Do the free trial of SlingTV. You'll see how badly it sucks. It's basically cable TV over the internet instead of over cable. No DVR, but some shows are available to watch on demand for a limited window.
  • EarthQuake
    We got rid of cable a few years ago. We have a Netflix subscription, and use the free version of Hulu. There is a bunch of stuff on Hulu Plus but its not generally shows that we are interested in. We rent recent-ish movies sometimes on Amazon Prime if we don't want to wait for it to get to Netflix.

The only remotely illegal thing we do is use a proxy to spoof a UK address, this lets us watch a huge amount of awesome content on BBC iPlayer as well. We would happily pay for such a service if it was offered in the US.

Making the switch has been fantastic. If you're the sort of person who loves to just turn on tv and watch whatever is on, going with streaming services won't be for you. You will have to put in some effort to find something to watch. The great part about this is you end up watching a lot, and I mean a LOT less terrible shit that just happens to be there.

I put together a HTPC running Win 8 (terrible for dev work but ok for HTPC, it's a tiny Intel NUC machine. It costs a lot more than one of those Roku boxes or the amazon stick thing, but honestly we haven't found one of those with an interface we like or that would allow us to do everything we do with an HTPC, like watch BBC and PBS or any other site/service that those systems don't support.
  • Count Vertsalot
    A lot of the BBC stuff is on Netflix and Amazon now. I just watched all of Sherlock and Black Mirror on Netflix.
  • EarthQuake
    A lot of the BBC stuff is on Netflix and Amazon now. I just watched all of Sherlock and Black Mirror on Netflix.

Oh yeah for sure, and we watch a lot of it there, but there is a massive amount of content on Iplayer as well if you're the sort of nerd who is in love with british stuff.
  • Count Vertsalot
    Spoofing might be in my future then. I thought the majority was available over here.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    The only reason my house even have cable is because my parents love to watch the news. I dont remember watching anything on cable for the past 5 years.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    No cable for me, and no streaming of any shows, either. Best choice ever, I'm getting so much shit done!
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    I Don't even own a TV anymore.
    Well.. technically my current apartment has a big generic LCD screen, but I didn't even bother getting a remote to turn it on.
    Streaming isn't the future, its the present. I might hook my PC to said screen, and use it for netflix stuff, but I didn't use cable in years.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Wife and I ditched cable about 8 months ago and time spent on doing art increased pretty drastically for both of us haha. It's easy to sit down and eat dinner in front of the TV after work and get stuck/hooked on watching some dumb shows or whatever. Now we just use Roku or the Wii to stream stuff at our own leisure... so much better. We are lucky in that family members that do have cable let us use there access codes for HBO Go and Showtime Anytime.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yup. I'm happier too with no insta-TV. When I turn my TV on it's black/static. I have to make an active effort to watch anything. Which is good, because I don't spend time watching junk just for the sake of watching something. The only downside is that I spend much, much more time reading and still don't get other stuff done :(
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    We cancelled cable tv about 3 years ago and have been running with a Netflix streaming subscription and Hulu+ since. We pay less than $20 a month and there are very few shows we miss out on and we have a good selection for movies as well. Every now and again we'll pay the extra to get the discs in the mail and then go back to streaming only once we've knocked out the movies we wanted to see. I don't know that we'll ever pay for cable again with the cost being what it is.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    120-200 a MONTH?! what the shit, sorry for my drastic language

but what the actual shit?
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    yea, because they make sure you have a base shitty PKG with nothing you really want in there.

Then you got to add extra 10channels package for HBO, another extra 10channel for AMC etc....

And if you want hockey games, thats another 10channels.

So is like having 60 channels for 3channels that you wanted......
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    This will probably be a little unhelpful, but for the sake of answering the question:
    Do you have cable?

No.
    Do you stream shows?

Yes.
    Do you buy them per episode or season through amazon or itunes?

Neither - catch up TV is free in this country for a few channels (BBC, Channel 4, as examples).

When all else fails, I'll watch stuff at someone else's place and make a social thing out of certain shows :)

Cable is just too expensive, IMHO. I tend to binge watch a lot of things, so I'm happy to wait for the entire thing to come out on DVD. Way cheaper if you only watch one or two things, like I do.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Neox wrote: »

Welcome to North American pricing :P Not sure how the pricing is in EU but yeah prices are fucked here. Add to that the constant rising price for shitty internet for higher price and with a data cap. Quit cable etc all together when i moved to college and just relied on netflix and hulu at the time with vpn.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

hehe. People may bitch and moan about German TV, but for being almost free the value is not that bad, when comparing it to many other countries' TV offerings and pricing schemes.
  • Count Vertsalot
    America has free TV too. Most of the popular shows are free to watch. Paying $100+ for TV means you're getting 500+ channels of stuff you don't even watch just to get a few premium channels.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message

And that's how you get Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and other huge budget US tv shows.

Game of Thrones cost about $6 million per episode, Breaking Bad $3 million. On free, Network TV I think The Big Bang Theory has run about $2 million per episode; dumb broad appeal comedies are what bring in the most viewers and therefore advertising dollars.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    yeah well you know, well, dvd cough, weeeellll

i hate waiting for the next episode so i rather wait until the whole season is on dvd

not waiting is certainly not worth 200 a month
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I'm just saying enjoy it while it lasts, in 20 years big budget TV shows will be a thing of the past like the golden era of cartoons.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    America has free TV too. Most of the popular shows are free to watch. Paying $100+ for TV means you're getting 500+ channels of stuff you don't even watch just to get a few premium channels.

urgh. reminds me of the people selling satellite here where you have to pick a bundle of shitty/mediocre channels, with 1 gem. And of course there's no single bundle with more than 1 good channel. It's just made so that you have to buy multiple bundles of channels.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah, I'm just saying enjoy it while it lasts, in 20 years big budget TV shows will be a thing of the past like the golden era of cartoons.

What about House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and the Youtube shows with almost TV levels of production value?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    And that's how you get Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and other huge budget US tv shows.

Game of Thrones cost about $6 million per episode, Breaking Bad $3 million. On free, Network TV I think The Big Bang Theory has run about $2 million per episode; dumb broad appeal comedies are what bring in the most viewers and therefore advertising dollars.

Big budget shows can come from anywhere and free network TV channels have produced some of the most expensive TV shows of all time - an example off the top of my head, the BBC did Planet Earth a few years back - 11 episodes costs £10 million ($15 million). I suspect it easily recouped it's costs since it's been broadcast on well over 100 other channels since.

I kind of prefer this model, since it means series don't get locked into single cable distributors and can get to a wider audience with a lower barrier to entry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    See the part where I said Game of Thrones cost $6 million per episode? Yes, $1-2 million shows will still get made.

I'm not saying the bundle situation is good and right I just appreciate that the side effect of it was a station that used to only show old movies, American Movie Classics, was able to spend the money to put out some amazing shows. We'll tell our grandkids about the golden age of television.
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    TV? I haven't watched tv on the actual box since 05'.
    I usually catch everything of interest online since around that time, I just hate having to set my schedule on their clock.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Yeah, im about to cancel our cable too, just keep internet. there are close to 500 channels, 100 of which are just premium/ppv ones, or copies of existing channels labeled "HD" when everything is HD anyway, rarely watch more than 2 or 3 networks.

For those who subscribe to Hulu: I tried a free trial, but noticed many shows that are on Hulu have random selection of episodes. Ie i find a full season 1, but season 2 is only episode 4, 6, 7, and 12. Is that the norm? Speaking specifically about shows that air on ABC, CBS, NBC, etc major networks.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    See the part where I said Game of Thrones cost $6 million per episode? Yes, $1-2 million shows will still get made.
    They might make a few more bucks if they finally got Australia a viable solution to watching it in a timely fashion. That series gets pirated enough here for it to get discussion time in federal politics.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I tend to stream the vast majority of stuff i watch off of the usual legit routes. I also have access to borrow an unlimited amount of Dvds at work, perks of a the job. (14 day rotating library of about 400-500 dvds) Amazon prime has a few good deals on and it comes with other stuff (if you sub to it in deal times). I'm a patient man anyway so waiting for shows isn't a big deal not as excited about tv as i should be.

Here in the Uk, i don't have a TV for the simple reason they want a £145 a year for BBC. I mean seriously for 5 channels they want that on top of your package costs with no exemption. I've had 'inspectors' come over to see the place because they wouldn't believe i didn't have a tv. When they got here he said he wanted access to the history on 2 laptops and my workstation to prove i wasn't streaming bbc channels. Laughed him out of the place.

The news & adverts are all depressing propaganda so why pay to watch it at any rate?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Here in the Uk, i don't have a TV for the simple reason they want a £145 a year for BBC.

The TV license only applies to watching live TV. You can use iPlayer to stream anything half an hour after it has been shown.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I would cut the cable, if you're only watching 1% of what you're paying for, then what's the point?

edit: get satellite.