Home General Discussion

Beksinski's digital art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
John Warner polycounter lvl 18
if you're not familiar with Beksinski:
http://images.google.ca/images?client=fi...sa=N&tab=wi

i was looking through some of his stuff and took some time to check out the digital stuff he did later on:
http://www.beksinski.pl/ -- go to origional works/digital

when i first saw it a while ago i wrote it off a little, because it's got aspects that i cringe at when i see bad digital art- a photo manipulated vibe, some simple photoshop distortion, all the quick stuff that makes me feel like what i'm looking at it cheep. i took another good look and now i think it's quite inspiring. I'm not sure if he saw it or not, but I'm not sure that he cared.
I get the impression that it's kind of like a fresh set of eyes (and extremely good ones) checking out the digital scene, and not caring about some of the stuff that i think a lot of us have built up judgments about.

how do you guys feel about his digital stuff, about this subject, or about the digital vibe in general? slightly different topic, but the whole "3d look" is something i'm hearing a lot of hatred towards, but after seeing some recent works from various folks out there, it almost seems like it's being used as a valid style.

Pascal Blanche comes to mind, who i think is a damn genious.
http://www.3dluvr.com/pascalb/gallery/Hunters.jpg

i don't mean this to come off pluralistic, mind you, but i find it interesting that I'd write off certain styles as cheep, when really they might just be poorly developed.. or expressing depth in areas i hadn't noticed because of my writing off.

Replies

• Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    His digital work really looks like standard stuff youll find in deviantart to be honest. Very strange, as I really like his paintings.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I prefer is paintings greatly over his digital art.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I agree, his digital stuff is extremely disappointing after seeing his paintings. I fully agree with Peris, totally deviantart. :S
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    i think its perhaps the old painter not fully appreciating or recognizing digital as a painting medium, and seeing it as more of a medium for generating/manipulating images in ways that other mediums don't allow, i'm sure anyone who's been doing traditional art for ages would appreciate that, but not likely to trade their brushes and canvas for a tablet, pc and a copy of photoshop and fully embrace the digital medium. i'm sure there are those that have done that, but i don't think its very common, especially with artists like beksinski who've been quite successful with his nondigital stuff.
  • Nogan
    Maybe one day Beksinski will attend a photoshop class and learn how to not make some of his digital art so cut-and-paste-like. Though I have to agree with everyone that his paintings are very cool.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maybe one day Beksinski will attend a photoshop class and learn how to not make some of his digital art so cut-and-paste-like. Though I have to agree with everyone that his paintings are very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, he's dead.
  • KeyserSoze
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    slightly different topic, but the whole "3d look" is something i'm hearing a lot of hatred towards, but after seeing some recent works from various folks out there, it almost seems like it's being used as a valid style.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know in animation, there are those who still don't quite see 3D as being legitimate. Have you ever read John Kricfalusi's blog? That guy rants about the latest 3D films whenever he gets the chance. John K is kind of a crazy guy though, and he seems very stubborn when it comes to his opinions. Now that I think of it, he rags on 2D animation just as much if not more... his general opinion seems to be, "Bob Clampett = good, everything else = UTTER SHIT JUST KILL YOURSELF ALREADY!"
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    I think Todd Lockwood is probably the most successfully artist to switch from traditional to digital; I often mistaken the two on his site
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Some more examples of his digital work here:

http://www.gnosis.art.pl/iluminatornia/s...eksinski01k.htm

Click the page numbers in the upper right to see more digital, upper left to see traditional.

It's interesting, to say the least. I think some pieces look very juvenile while others seem to retain a level of 'disturbingness' that you typically get from his traditional works. It's pretty clear that this guy was operating on a different wavelength from beginning to end, though.