Home Technical Talk

Zbrush weird memory problem?

Jonathan85
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
I have a problem, i have win 7 64 bit, zbrush 4r6, 12 GB ram, i have a mesh in zbrush that has a little above 13 milion polys. I need to export this mesh via the tool (subtool?) export button, into obj, i done it in pass, but this mesh seems to have problems, heres the problem i get:

http://postimg.org/image/eehvjw1ax/

Im running (almost) only zbrush, so there is a plenty of ram left of my 12 GB for the export

I tried adjusting the preferences-- mem settings, compact mem to the max (4096) MaxPolyPerMesh is 22 Milion (so exporting a 13 milion mesh should not be a problem).

What i am doing wrong? How can i export this mesh?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Doesn't matter how much memory is in your system, ZBrush is a 32 bit application, it can't use more than 4 gigs.

What's the intended purpose of this mesh? Is there some reason why you cannot just decimate it? Otherwise you could try to break it up into multiple subtools and export them individually.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol so you are telling me that there is not any other way how to get a 13 milion mesh out of zbrush? only to break it into chunks?

there must be a solution...?

(the purpose explaing would be longer, i just n eed the hipoly mesh including the uvw map i have done for it to import it into other program.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    you've been given the answer - zbrush is 32 bits so no matter how much memory your computer has it can only address a fraction of it.

before breaking up or reducing the mesh however you could try this: go to tool->export and turn off MRG and GRP. then try to export again. in my experience the merge vertices stage is where export usually runs out of memory. see if it works and if the output is still useful to you.
  • Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp:

Wow thanks, that seems to help...
    what does turning off those two buttons (grp a mrg) off do the mesh exactly?

• Jonathan85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    you've been given the answer - zbrush is 32 bits so no matter how much memory your computer has it can only address a fraction of it.

before breaking up or reducing the mesh however you could try this: go to tool->export and turn off MRG and GRP. then try to export again. in my experience the merge vertices stage is where export usually runs out of memory. see if it works and if the output is still useful to you.

oh ok i check it now, and the exported mesh doesnt seem to have the uvw mapping anymore... turning of the bottom results in getting rid of the uvw mapping coordinates?