Home General Discussion

Wacom 27QHD and Companion 2

The new Wacom Cintiq was unveiled at CES 2015. The features that stand out to me are the controls now on a remote control and the 2560 by 1440 screen resolution. Better start saving.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkVsD9Nffs[/ame]

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    do you know what the price will be?
  • monster
  • Doc holliday
    Offline / Send Message
    Doc holliday polycounter lvl 7
    That thing is massive!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This honestly looks like an ergonomics nightmare (how exactly do you reach your keyboard when working with that ?) but then again it was probably already the case with the 24. I also wonder if the bigger size will increase or decrease cursor tracking accuracy. We'll see !!
  • ikken
    do you know what the price will be?

The Cintiq 27QHD Pen will retail for $2299.99 USD, with the Cintiq 27QHD Pen and Touch available for $2799.99.

(from the blog linked)
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I gotta say, I am really tempted by the new companion. That or I wait for the Surface pro 4.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Ugh, overpriced as ever.
    I'll be sticking with a Surface Pro. I recently found a program that lets it work with a desktop for wacom-style full tablet input.
    Only problem is it does not yet have screen mirroring.

I had really hoped that they'd start reducing prices with all the viable non-wacom alternatives coming out.
  • mentalfrog
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Ugh, overpriced as ever.
    I'll be sticking with a Surface Pro. I recently found a program that lets it work with a desktop for wacom-style full tablet input.
    Only problem is it does not yet have screen mirroring.

I had really hoped that they'd start reducing prices with all the viable non-wacom alternatives coming out.

From what I understand the new Companion can be used as a regular Cintiq. Meaning I can use it on the go but then use it on my main high end pc at work, or at home.

I really like Wacom products but they really need to bring their pricing down. :(
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    This honestly looks like an ergonomics nightmare (how exactly do you reach your keyboard when working with that ?) but then again it was probably already the case with the 24. I also wonder if the bigger size will increase or decrease cursor tracking accuracy. We'll see !!

The blog post states it's the same size at the 24HD, and lighter.
    The same size, only bigger

Precisely the same foot print as its predecessor, the Cintiq 24HD, the Cintiq 27QHD is lighter and capable of standing on its own out-of-the-box...

A few of my co-workers have this keyboard tray for their Cintiqs.

http://www.gizmotweak.com/

Cintiq24HD_keyboard_Tray_in_use2.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    What's the pressure levels on the companion 2? Theyr usually really upfront with that info so I'm surprised I can't find that anywhere.

Also noticed the companion 2 is 1.7kg vs the sp3 at 800grams which might get quite heavy to hold on the move, though Iv never used a tablet so im only guessing based on the big difference.

I was really close to getting a sp3 and then they did this announcement and now I'm back to square one dammit!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    What's the pressure levels on the companion 2?

2048 same as Companion 1.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/announcements/cintiq-companion-2

"Pro Pen – ultra-fine precision, 2048 pressure levels and tilt recognition"

Personally I sold my Companion 1 and ready to preorder a 2. I love using the Companion. I tried a Surface Pro 2 (and 3) and it wasn't the same. The matte screen and hotkeys are super helpful to not have a keyboard.

Tethering to a PC got me all in with the 2. I can set it up at home use it as a proper Cintiq and then take it out in the living room or wherever.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Monster, yeah I am familiar with that setup (I did something similar with a slim Apple keyboard for while) but it is super tiring. Now I totally understand that a lot of 2d-only artists are fine with just using the Expresskeys and no keyboard ; but the Wacom video showed someone using Maya, and I think that's a bit of a stretch :)
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Just to clear a couple things up for you Dustin.
    ... I'm pretty surprised that Wacom's next move was to make something even bigger.

It's the same size as the 24HD, not bigger. (According to their blog post I linked to above.)
    I really wish the side buttons were either an option, or that they were detachable. They add bulk to the frame, and I always disable them anyway because my hand accidentally touches them.

The new 27QHD has no side buttons, it comes with a seperate remote. I'm guessing some of the extra bezel size is for better edge accuracy. But the bezel still seems really big.

CES%202015%2012%20of%2015.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I have the 22HD right now, and the actual screen size just feels "perfect". I'm very glad i didn't get the 24HD now, i'd never use the entire screen. And the 27HD is even more of an issue. I don't care that the physical size of the entire thing is the same size as the 24HD, for me it's about actual useful area...

also, i use the side buttons on mine a lot, i have many combinations of alt, ctrl, etc. along the side buttons.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    I have the 24HD at home and I just keep the keyboard on my lap. I don't really notice much of a difference with the 22HD at work, except that I can't get as close to the screen on the 22HD so my arm tires out a bit easier.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the one thing that stands out more, is that it isn't significantly bigger and also is much lighter than the 24hd, so now you can plug it onto an ergotron arm, also it's cheaper.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    the thing i love most about the 24HD is the stand/base. none of the other models compare in that regard IMO. that thing is so perfect to work with. a cintiq with that base and the same screen size but with higher pixel density could tempt me quite a bit.

i always disliked the built-in buttons on all the tablet-generations, too. no good haptics at all for permanent use. good riddance, suckers! teaming up this cintiq with one of these small gamer keyboards like the nostromo might be worth looking into.

now where to get that desk extension first... ;)
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    God that companion price through :X I already own a 22hd and a 13hd, Can't afford that before a long time.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    seems like it's been awhile since tablets became popular. Sorta expected pressure sensitive alternatives to drive competition more than it has.

Between n-trig and pressure sensitivity I am hoping the new huge 15" Sony Vaio Flip fits the bill as a Wacom competitor alternative or at least drives prices down.

If it runs Zbrush and Photoshop at decent speeds then the $799 price tag for all that screen real estate certainly seems worth any missed features!
    ( tho I would probably opt fer the i7 version )

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Sony-Vaio-Flip-15.htm
    sony_flip15_lidbig.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eIghx5FmY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5eIghx5FmY[/ame]

Considering tablets at ces are sporting Broadwell it might be worth waiting since Vaio is still Haswell bound :(
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I feel pretty set on getting the companion 2. I was going to get a surface but I want something that works with my desktop more than anything.

I'll only sketch on the go so the value model is more than enough especially since I do so well with my vivotab note which is at least half the processing power and half the ram.

Just got to find a way to afford it.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    pior wrote: »

I have the 22. I took it off its factory stand and strapped it to an ergonomic desk arm.:thumbup:
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW i see you guys mentioning keyboards but no one uses somethign like the orbweaver/nostromo?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

I know a few artists who use something like this along side their surface pro.

I think i would honestly prefer something like this over what they offer with the 27.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    iadagraca wrote: »
    BTW i see you guys mentioning keyboards but no one uses somethign like the orbweaver/nostromo?

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver

I know a few artists who use something like this along side their surface pro.

I think i would honestly prefer something like this over what they offer with the 27.

I had an Orbweaver before. The problem is it has way too many keys, all clumsily jammed together without pattern.
    It's way too difficult to even hit specific keys accurately, let alone remember what each one is bound to.
    It takes a hell of a lot of practice to use properly, and God forbid you decide to change the keybinds, or even use it in more than one program.
    In the end I couldn't see any value in using it over just a keyboard.
  • WarrenM
    Same as Grimwolf. It's almost impossible to remember what's mapped to each key and in the end, it just seems like an expensive keyboard replacement with less functionality.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca wrote: »
    I'll only sketch on the go...

The Companion is really big to carry around on the go. An actual sketchbook and a pencil is going to be much better. If you want to work traveling or on the sofa then totally go with the Companion. The portability is the main area that the Surface has the Companion beat at.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    The Companion is really big to carry around on the go. An actual sketchbook and a pencil is going to be much better. If you want to work traveling or on the sofa then totally go with the Companion. The portability is the main area that the Surface has the Companion beat at.

Yeah I don't expect to take it to a coffeeshop. I tend to use my note 3 for public sketching. I mean like traveling or going to events. I am a little concerned about the size but desktop use offsets that.

I guess I mean sketching as not completely literal. On my current tablet I occasionally do initial paintings or preliminary stuff. But that tablet isn't powerful enough for Photoshop so it's a bit limited for what I mainly use. But Clip studio has been great tho.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I haven't used a normal sketchbook in a good long time for a few personal reasons...
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    I had an Orbweaver before. The problem is it has way too many keys, all clumsily jammed together without pattern.
    It's way too difficult to even hit specific keys accurately, let alone remember what each one is bound to.
    It takes a hell of a lot of practice to use properly, and God forbid you decide to change the keybinds, or even use it in more than one program.
    In the end I couldn't see any value in using it over just a keyboard.

i found the key to this is moderation. you don't usually need dozens of keys mapped in a decent workflow. in the past i used a sidewinder strategic commander game controller as a keyboard replacement and had the most important keys mapped to the stick axes. i found that quite intuitive.
    worked a treat and should be possible with any joystick-type device and e.g. the 3d connexion ones. the only issue for me was driver support being phased out after windows 2000. if the razer devices work with something like autohotkey out of the box and do not require some manufacturer-specific remapping-tool to operate it sounds worth investigating. :)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I'm very much considering getting the Companion 2. I have a macbook pro 13 inch at home, that I was hoping to carry around to work outside my apartment, coffee shops and whatnot. Turns out it's just a hassle to lug around a laptop AND a tablet. Just feels like I'm too squished on a small coffee table. I figured the companion would be a nice balance. Good screen size + working directly on-screen sounds like a miracle.

How exactly is it too bulky to carry around? It's no bigger than an iPad. Thicker, maybe.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    companion2 14.7 x 9.9 x 0.6inches
    vs
    ipad2 9.50 x 7.3 x 0.3
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    it's not like an Ipad fits in your pocket and a Companion doesn't, you're in backpack/messenger bag territory. If it was a laptop it would be called an Ultraportable.

I'm interested in one for couch or lunch break working, I've heard some people complain about battery life issues on the first gen, not sure how wide spread that issue is. I also have an issue with the scratchy sound pencils and other media have on paper, I can really only draw with a ball-point pen without fingernails on chalkboard levels of cringing which hinders a lot of drawing in a sketchbook for me.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    it's not like an Ipad fits in your pocket and a Companion doesn't, you're in backpack/messenger bag territory. If it was a laptop it would be called an Ultraportable.

iam not arguing with that :)
    just wanted to point out that it is in fact quite a bit larger than an ipad2

was thinking of buying one myself, but the short battery life (of the companion1) paired with the inability to use it as a normal cintiq when the hardware is outdated didnt really sell it to me
    on top of that the high price

the best configuration of the companion2 is going to cost even more
    guess it doesnt really make much sense for me since i cant even use it at work due to security reasons, and paying 2,5k $ to scribble at home from the couch just isnt worth it...
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I could benefit from the added productivity and I wouldn't have to choose between staying holed up in the office or watching a movie with my girlfriend. I could also squeeze some art into my bedtime reading depending on how noisy it is.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message

I'm interested in one for couch or lunch break working, I've heard some people complain about battery life issues on the first gen, not sure how wide spread that issue is. I also have an issue with the scratchy sound pencils and other media have on paper, I can really only draw with a ball-point pen without fingernails on chalkboard levels of cringing which hinders a lot of drawing in a sketchbook for me.

The batt life is around 5-6 hours in Photoshop. I got like 2.5 hours in 3D Coat on the 1st gen. It's not that portable. I was a little let down by the overall size. It's portable. But I found myself sitting on the sofa or in bed at night watching tv and painting. I rarely carried it outside of my home.

If you have an opportunity to try one out at GDC or a trade show or through another Artist do it. They have a return policy but charge a percentage for stocking or something. Just FYI.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope I can check one out during SXSW without buying a $1,095 badge! Travel, lodging and a pass to GDC would probably cost the same, UGH!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Surely it's just as portable, if not more so than a laptop + intuos tablet right?
    It even has the same specs as my macbook pro.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I like the Companion 2's ability to act as a standard Cintiq when plugged into a PC. I'm thinking it's time to retire my classing cintiq after this beast comes out.
    The downside remains the price. Unfortunatly, while the Surface is more powerful, I found it not as responsive when using 2d programs on it.

Curse you Wacom, why are you so hard (for my wallet!) to love?!
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin wrote: »
    I like the Companion 2's ability to act as a standard Cintiq when plugged into a PC. I'm thinking it's time to retire my classing cintiq after this beast comes out.
    The downside remains the price. Unfortunatly, while the Surface is more powerful, I found it not as responsive when using 2d programs on it.

Curse you Wacom, why are you so hard (for my wallet!) to love?!

I'm sure you can get good money selling your old cintiq?
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    adam wrote: »
    I have the 22. I took it off its factory stand and strapped it to an ergonomic desk arm.:thumbup:

Same here, works charmingly.

Looking at that video though, honestly is it just me, but are we all doing the same thing; leaning over and hovering over our screens all day.
    I feel like my neck gets pretty sore, and have been thinking about a stand up desk.
    Not really sure what the most optimal setup would be even in that situation :/
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    moof wrote: »

Looking at that video though, honestly is it just me, but are we all doing the same thing; leaning over and hovering over our screens all day.
    I feel like my neck gets pretty sore, and have been thinking about a stand up desk.

One of these with the cintiq built in?

7535N-1336_sq.jpg
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    I remember seeing a video where Cartoon Network built just that, animation desks with the rotating centers that had pressure-sensitive screens in 'em. Pretty awesome.

edit; google brings up a few examples

DN_Cintiq.jpg
    cintiq_animation_desk_by_obscurestar-d60yxxm.jpg
  • DerekLeBrun
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    moof wrote: »

At home I put the 24HD on the front edge of my desk, with the monitor part suspended about 2 inches over the edge. This allows me to totally recline backwards in an office chair with the keyboard in my lap and suffer no pain at all.

At work I put a 22HD about 5-6 inches from the edge (enough to fit a keyboard directly in front of it) and position my chair underneath the desk so I can recline. My arm/elbow can get a little sore because the distance isn't as optimal as the 24 though.

I couldn't imagine hunching forward over my desk for any extended period of time, but everyone I work with seems to do it that way.
  • iadagraca
  • Count Vertsalot
    Well holy crap. I'm apparently the first person in the US to get a 27QHD. Wacom's US support staff doesn't even have one. There ARE issues with it. Somehow I fixed it though. This is a heads up for anyone that has one on the way or is dealing with these silly issues.

First. As always, Wacom's very first driver for the 27QHD is crap. My issues have to do with using Windows 7 64bit. I don't know if these problems are on Windows 8 or anything else.

Issue #1: Wacom's display properties doesn't work at all. So you can't adjust the brightness, contrast, or anything. You just get an error message saying the a Wacom display isn't installed even though you're looking at the error message on your frickin' Wacom display. The fix is a Windows update that installs "FTDI- Other Hardware - USB Serial Converter" After installing this the display properties works fine. It took Windows an extra day to find this on it's own. Wacom had no clue so I called and told them about it. Hopefully it's fixed for everyone in the next driver update. There is also "FTDI - Other Hardware - USB Serial Port" that I installed the next day, but it didn't change anything.

Issue #2: The battery percentage for the Express Key Remote is completely inaccurate. There's no fix yet for this, it's a bug. Luckily there are blinking lights at the bottom of the remote that tells you if it's charging or about to run out of juice.

Issue #3: The touch ring stopped working on the Express Key Remote. I thought it had to do with the RTDI update breaking something after it fixed something else, but it's not. If you remove the back panel of the remote, there is a reset button. I pressed that and the touch ring works again. Again, Wacom support has no clue about this and they actually wanted me to ship it back to them for a replacement instead. If it keeps happening after future updates and they actually get a clue on how to support the 27QHD I will send it in for a replacement.

Other than those issues that wasted 3 whole days it's pretty nice. Much better display than the 22HD, no weird glittery anti-glare stuff on the screen.