Home General Discussion

Can I haz new Rig?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
Hey all you computer literate polycounters out there, I need some help :)

Recently I've come across a little bit of spending cash, and my current computer is dying a slow and VERY painful death (as I hit it continuously every time it decides to randomly shutdown on me... thanks). I was wondering if you lovely gals and gentle chaps could help me build a new rig that will make my current rig feel in-adequate, therefore forcing it to end its life forever :)

Sadly, I don't have "much" money to build the uber computer I've always wanted, but I do have a lot of spare parts if needed.

My budget is $800

Now the main thing I really need now-a-days is the ability to bake out / render / as well as model highpoly assets and maps, and my current computer just doesn't seem upto the task. So I don't know if I need t focus more on Ram, or Processor speed (i'm thinking ram on this one)... therefore, should I stick with 32bit or go for 64bit operating system so I can get a bit more ramage in there?

I need a new video card, (Sound card I have) but I also need 2 pci-e slots (for both video and sound card).

Umm... I currently have an Intel Duo Core processor (I think its the 6850 model or something... which I've liked, but I think that's dying too) but before I always used AMD, so which would you go with?

My power supply is currently (I believe) either 550 or 650 watts, and I also think that it is dying as well... this whole piece of shit comp is dying on me :(

And the one thing I need to make SUUREE is stellar, is the cooling system... Either have a shit ton of fans, or go with water cooling instead (I've never tried that before).

So if any of you fine people could give a fellow polycounter some help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies