Home Unreal Engine

Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh cheers Ben . When I was using it back in 2006 you just had to plug it straight in:)
  • Ben Apuna
    lol, when I was using it back in 2006 I hardly even understood what spec power was :)
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Bit confusing as normally the range is black to white ie 0-255 and its easy to visually
    do to that way
    ie almost black would be good for cloth, near white would be good for metal highlights
    So what constant times by my specpower texture would give me a standard range, as 500 seems a bit arbitrary
    for example if i was doing an eyeball highlight the spec power as a constant would be around 90 -120.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, unreal uses 0-1 and the default spec power is 25 I think, or maybe 15.
  • Ben Apuna
    Ruz:

Yeah 500 in my previous post was just a random example number to show the math.

For your eyeball example you would determine the highest value you want your spec power to be, in this case Eyeball = 120.

The eyeball highlight would then be painted with value 255 white pixels and multiplied by a constant of 120 which would give it a spec power value of 120.

(1 divided by 255 color range) X "painted value" X "constant value" = Spec Power

(1 / 255) X 255 X 120 = 120

Then for example you painted cloth with value 10 pixels which is still being multiplied by the same constant of 120 in Unreal, it's spec power would end up being around 4.7

(1 / 255) X 10 X 120 = 4.7058823529411764705882352941176

It might be easier to paint spec power values in HSB rather than RGB because the math becomes much easier to do. More like multiplying a % with your spec power constant value.

(1 divided by brightness range of 100) X "Brightness" X "constant value" = Spec Power

So your eyeball example would be like this:

0.01 X 100 "white" X 120 = 120

My cloth example from earlier would be like this:

0.01 X 4 X 120 = 4.8

Not quite as accurate as using RGB but easier math.

More random examples:

0.01 X 33 X 120 = 39.6

0.01 X 50 X 120 = 60

and so on...

I hope that makes sense, I'm not a math professor :p
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Here's the easiest way to think about a specular power texture, it's a mix value.

Figure out the lowest power and the highest power you'd like, say a power of 10 for cloth, and a power of 50 for metal (These are hypothetical values). The texture should be a weight of those values (White would be highest value, black would be darkests).

In the material you would create a Lerp node where 10 would go into A, 50 would go into B and the channel your specular power resides in would go into the Alpha of the lerp.
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    wow forums suck -_-
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    aggh JordanW that makes so much sense after I went through the udk shader tutorials
    its just that you used to be be able to just plug it straight in which was a bit more simple:)

anyway cheers for that breakdown Ben
  • Ben Apuna
    Love that Lerp method, MUCH easier. Thanks for that JordanW :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh ey cool Jordan. I used to do a more complex calculation with an offset. Something like gloss = offset + (texture x (rangemax - offset)). Lol.
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    That is what a lerp is anyways.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    How do I make water puddles with edges that fade out.
    20050330104327x.jpg

And also can someone tell me how to go about making parts of a floor wet and parts that are dry? Something like this.

basementofdoom.jpg

and this

20050330104327.jpg

Could try this wet and dry effect with alphas or vertex painting?
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Alpha, then use alpha to lerp together the original texture + something fancy with a reflection. You now have a tiling texture with a puddle every now and then.

Or....

Make a 2 triangle plane. Put a nice material on it with an alpha (and depthbiasedalpha), and then add some nice reflection and such on that.

Getting a puddle shape really isn't the hard part. The "hard" part is making a nice and convincing reflection and/or puddle animation.

You cannot do this with vertex painting well since then your floor would have to be pretty heavily tesselated and even then you will see the triangulation on the edges of your puddle which would suck. The only way out would be to somehow soften or average out the shape. All in all way too complicated. Go with an alpha texture to begin with.
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh. Thanks Hourences. I knew you would have the answer.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    word.
    as a note always try and avoid vertex painting if possible and break surfaces up in other, cheaper ways.
  • nick2730
    Hey Guys, im having a problem with terrain and vehicles. I currently have an underground area constructed with vehicles inside and terrain outside. A door connects the base to the outside.

THe problem is when the vehicle goes through the door it gets ejected violently into the air. When i delete the terrain or turn off block rigid body in the properties of the terrain, everything works fine, but obviously the vehicle just falls into space.

Any ideas what is wrong?

lit.jpg
    unlit.jpg
    wireframe.jpg
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    word.
    as a note always try and avoid vertex painting if possible and break surfaces up in other, cheaper ways.

You only use vertex mapping for terrain texture right?
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    nah you can use it for other things, it's very useful but one more cost to remember. Anything that you can do without unnecessary shader functions is always a bonus.
    Depends on vert count of asset really, and other circumstances. Oh and I've found an asset must have a collision primitive or else it won't work at all.

I haven't worked much with terrain recently - and hated it when I did - so I can't help too much on that. Seems like it doesn't like the hole in your terrain, though...
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Whargoul wrote: »
    That is what a lerp is anyways.

I had to to try it on a piece of paper, but yeah it's the same, just written differently than what I thought is the standard formula for lerp (alpha*x +(1- alpha)*y). Point is lerp(alpha,x,y) is easier to use :)
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    For a uni project I am creating a character with a muscle system for unreal. Basically I know how to use skinfx to create muscle systems but I cant seem to find any information about gettint the muscle system in uunreal with actorx.
    Can anyone point me in the right directions or throw some advice my way please?
    Thanks
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow....just found this. Never knew what hand painting does in speedtree, but it's some pretty cool stuff. Lets you control the look of your foliage A LOT more. This might not be news to some, but I'm sure someone will find it as new and interesting as me...:poly124:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp6sUJfIfaU&feature=related[/ame]
  • Showster
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    nice vid!

Hi Folks,

I'm working on a trigger that ends the match once activated, like a finish line..... Heres an image ...

RAAAGE.jpg

So at the moment I have it so that it counts once activated and opens a different UI scene based on the count.

However, its not opening correctly during online multiplayer. I'm trying to devise a system that takes the player id and then opens the correct scene depending on how they finish. In all honestly I'm a bit clueless at the moment. I've tried making the trigger client side and not client side only, also I've stopped the game being paused when ui scenes are opened.

Once this is figured out I'd love a score board with times etc... But I'd like to finish this first....

Anyone got any ideas on how to control this in multiplayer?

Many thanks for your time and help

Greg
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a bit of a problem. I'm trying to make a speedtree to put in the UDK, and some of my billboards are floating in space. They aren't attached to any branches. I've tried to mess with a bunch of settings to get rid of it, but to no avail. Anyone know why it's doing this? Link below has the pic.

www.3dryan.blogspot.com

Noob question: Why is it that I can't post attachments? Do I need more posts?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences wrote: »
    Alpha, then use alpha to lerp together the original texture + something fancy with a reflection. You now have a tiling texture with a puddle every now and then.

Having trouble with this point. Can you show an visual example?
  • Clockwork
    I need some help with Lightmass and shadows. No matter what I do, the shadows are just really weak, barely visible. Even with a strong point light put right above my static mesh, the preview shows strong and defined shadows, but after compile it's just washed out.

My static mesh has two UVs, it shows 2 uv channels, and I've set Light Map Coordinate Index to 1, 0 being the UV for the texture. The UVs are identical though. Light Map Res 512.

Force Direct Light Map checked, and Override Light Map.

I don't get it, I get much better shadows turning off Lightmass/GI... Then of course I get bad lighting...
  • heliockjent
    I have littel bit information about UDK that it is use for 3D game engine technology for cross-platform game development with fully
    integrated suite of top-tier development tools. But it is possible to create a cave using the terrain editor or to create a static mesh for this?
    Because as per my knowledge we can only create terrain in the vertical dimension.
    I am much more interesting to know this because it is helpfull for me.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Clockwork wrote: »
    I need some help with Lightmass and shadows. No matter what I do, the shadows are just really weak, barely visible. Even with a strong point light put right above my static mesh, the preview shows strong and defined shadows, but after compile it's just washed out.

My static mesh has two UVs, it shows 2 uv channels, and I've set Light Map Coordinate Index to 1, 0 being the UV for the texture. The UVs are identical though. Light Map Res 512.

Force Direct Light Map checked, and Override Light Map.

I don't get it, I get much better shadows turning off Lightmass/GI... Then of course I get bad lighting...

I am having similar problems. Anyone have any solutions?
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    try turning diffuse boost down to 1 in world properties
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    hrm i have a problem with the standard max biped, is there a way for udk not to consider twistbones in the Phat Editor? It seems like the forearm twistbones are aprented to the upper arm and not to the forearm like it should be, therefore, the hand always floats around, which is pretty bad for me and i can't seem to find a way that makes the forewarm and its twists move together as i can weld them only to their parent and not to the forearm :(

also i get the skeletalmeshactor casts shadow but has no physiscs asset assigned, can i turn that off for certain models? we have some models in the map that really don't need a physics asset as the player can't reach them

[nevermind]

:edit: wth is this stuff, i create an archetype for my crowd and it disappears on the next load, its just gone, kismet still knows it but i can't reach it to change stuff
  • Andy Kerr - Art
    Do alpha channel textures cast a shadow if they are lit with a dominate directional light?
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Hello all, I'm good with modeling, texturing, lighting theory, etc., but when it comes to working with unreal, I'm pretty new, and I don't get why it gives me the technical problems it does. Since I can't post images here for whatever reason, I'll use my blog as I've always done so far. www.3dryan.blogspot.com

PROBLEM 1:I've got a couple shots of two objects in my scene: A camera on a tripod and a backpack. There's only one light affecting them, a point light that's in the top corner of the room. There's also a directional light in the outside environment, but it's not affecting anything in the room as far as I can tell. The lightmaps are getting some nasty artifacts on them, not sure why, but it looks really unsightly.

PROBLEM 2: The build times for my lighting have skyrocketed since I started messing with lightmap resolutions. I only messed with a couple of objects that were at the default 32x32. I bumped about 6 or 7 objects up to anywhere from 64x64 to 1024x1024. The build time went from 5 minutes to 20. I've heard that lightmaps should be used on most of your objects because the new UDK's lightmass system can handle them better, but should all your objects have lightmaps? If I use them on all my objects, my build time will take hours when all the objects have been modified.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. :)
  • Ben Apuna
    3DRyan:

Having proper lightmap UVs will have a big affect on how light/shadows are baked.

Check out these two tutorials about lightmap UVs:

http://stephenjameson.com/tutorials/lightmap-uvs-tutorial/

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html

A note about the first tutorial it was made with UT3 in mind, now with lightmass in UDK you don't need padding around the outer edge of 0-1 UV space just between each shell.

Be sure to add a lightmass importance volume to your scene to keep build times down. Your largest lightmap resolution will dictate the time it takes to do a lighting build. Also make sure you are using a Dominant Directional Light rather than a normal Directional Light if you want to take advantage of Lightmass.

If you want bounced lighting make sure to change the Environment Color to something other than black. To get to that setting click View -> World Properties -> Lightmass -> Environment Color.

1024 for a lightmap is quite high and only really necessary if you want detailed shadows on a really big object like a large patch of ground. From my own experiments 32 seems to be fine for a barrel sized object, I guess if you wanted to go hardcore 16 pixels might even be enough for a barrel. You don't need to lightmap everything, you can use vertex lightmaps or smaller res lightmaps on objects that don't need detailed shadows such as those that will be far from the player/camera.

You should upload your pics to photobucket or dropbox and use "img" tags like this: [noparse]Double_Sided_01.gif[/noparse] to display them in your post.

Hope that helps.
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Being a real noob here but how do I set up a post process chain?
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    right click anywhere in the asset browser and create one :)
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Ben, as usual, you rock. Some VERY useful tutorials. It's got some stuff in it that I'll keep in mind for future problems I may have, but I didn't find anything that would explain why i got the artifacts. The only thing I can think of with my models is UV edge bleeding, but I just checked my UV's and they're closely knit together, but it's not on the seams where the artifacts are occuring. It's smack dab in the middle of the UV shells. I think lowering the lightmap resolution may have fixed it on its own, as I went into the content browser and adjusted my resolutions based on Epic's props. Yeah, my resolutions were FAR too large and my build time is now more than acceptable. So, I guess the artifact problem is a thing of the past, because lowering the res seems to have fixed it. Also, thanks for the help on posting images. Didn't know that's how it works, lol. Problems solved!
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Neox wrote: »
    right click anywhere in the asset browser and create one :)

That's almost amusing, but then how does that actually translate to actually using it in game. I know how to acutally create it in the browse and I know there is a PP volume, but there is no way to actually attach a custom PP chain to it so I ask again ... how do I get a custom PP chain to work.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    best way would be to create your own mod structure and set it up the mods default engine ini, quickest way is to hack it in the udk version of that ini, i thibnk its the default engine, but i'm not totally sure, you'll have to search for the default postprocess in one of the config files.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    @Neox, I had a thought on your crowd issue, I set up a path that resembled yours with a hole in the floor, and a step up.

When I opened PIE and let the crowd spawn they got stuck at the step and wouldn't climb up it. I managed to fix the problem by using a quick setup with a path blocking volume and a blocking volume near the step.
    stepcrowd.jpg

the hole in the floor was somewhat easy, in the archetype theres a boole for bCheckForObstacles i ticked this on and in the kismet also ticked on force check for obstacles, and they went around the hole. If that doesnt work you could try a path blocking volume around the air parts of your map.

heres a link to the map and upk.
    not sure if this will help you, but its worth a try maybe :)

www.chrisperrella.com/wip/CrowdMap.zip
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Simple problem

Trying to learn UDK.

So im trying to build this worldmap with a heightmap..

map topo might be familiar to those who played FFI ;)

It imports fine i get this...
    Untitled-2.png

ok good..

So i hit the thessellate button because i want to smooth out the world mesh and i get this...
    Untitled-3.png

Whts going on ? can i fix it? the "noise" bar things pop out only at the edge of pure black and the first grey height color and only that.

My height map works fine in max, Vue ple and worldmachine... so its not an unwanted color noise problem.

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    K figured it out... dont let the floor be pure black ...
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Noob question...

I imported into UDK textures at 2048x2048 and I made a material...but under the texture properties it says "Imported: 2048" then "Max In-Game 1024" is there a way to have it set so it displays it at 2048?
  • Ben Apuna
    Double click the texture in the asset browser then scroll down to the LODGroup setting. Change that to something else that supports a higher texture resolution like TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget.
  • MRico
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Ben, thanks a lot homie!
  • Mark Dygert
    New update to UDK, it now imports FBX, could be pretty swanky.
    [FONT=&quot]Hi Everyone,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Epic Games has released a free, updated version of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Epic is committed to providing the UDK community with regular software releases free of charge. Below is a list of technical enhancements included in the March 2010 UDK Beta. Please download the updated software build at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.udk.com/download[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]An extensive list of new features and improvements included with this version of UDK are available at:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitBuildUpgradeNotes.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In addition, we maintain a blog that regularly highlights additions to UDK:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBlog.html[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Epic wants to hear from you. We encourage you to ask questions and get involved with the UDK community at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.udk.com/forums[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Be sure to check out our updated UDK Showcase, which contains new documentation, sample game code and more: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.udk.com/showcase[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The March 2010 UDK Beta upgrade notes are as follows. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]New UDK features and tools:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Autodesk FBX format support (FBX version 2010.2)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Static meshes, skeletal meshes and animations can now be imported from FBX files[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * The FBX format is supported by many 3D modeling packages[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~ including 3ds Max, Maya, and MotionBuilder.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Download FBX plug-ins from Autodesk[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://autodesk.com/fbx[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXImporting.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Interactive Static Meshes[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Static meshes can now be configured so that all instance of that mesh placed in a level can become dynamic and react with physics when shot or pushed, giving the environment a more interactive feel.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * The advantages of this implementation are:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~Consistent behavior[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * all objects using that mesh will be interactive, instead of it depending on level designer set up.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~Transparent to meshing[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * L.D.s don't have to do anything special, but they can prevent specific objects from being able to become dynamic when necessary.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~These meshes are lit like any other static meshes until they move so there is no visual impact to using this system.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~No additional performance or memory cost to these meshes except during the short period when a mesh is being physically simulated.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * This system is intended for use with small decorative meshes that don't have any gameplay implications.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * The interactivity is client-side and is not replicated.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/InteractiveStaticMeshes.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - New Attachment Editor[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * For displaying and modifying object relationships[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Lets you view and edit the attachment graph for a selected set of actors[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AttachmentsBrowserReference.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - mipmap sharpening[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Increases perceived resolution of textures w/o memory or performance impact[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBlog.html#MipGenSettings[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Property window favorites[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Simply mark a property as a favorite and it will always be displayed at the top of your property window.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Combined with the search capability, this will greatly stream-line data access in the Unreal Editor.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PropertyWindows.html#Property Window Favorites[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - New texture viewer options[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * To reimport textures and to 'Compress Now'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Allows artists to easily preview results of texture compression[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TextureProperties.html#Other actions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - In Editor Stats viewing[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Enables the stat HUD in editor viewports[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/StatsDescriptions.html#In Editor Stat Viewing[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - New Kismet actions[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * stream in cinematic mip-levels[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~Allows sharing textures of in-game and cinematics characters[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TextureProperties.html#Num Cinematic Mip Levels[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/KismetReference.html#Stream In Textures[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Set VectorParam and Get Location and Rotation[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~Adds the ability to get the location and rotation of a socket or bone (if the target is a pawn with a skeletal mesh)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~Makes it possible to hook a kismet vector object.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~[/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ContentBlog.html#New kismet functionality for "Set _VectorParam" and "Get Location and Rotation" actions[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - New 'Select All Visible Levels' option in level browser right click menu[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelBrowserReference.html#Context Menu[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]--- Improvements[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Continued moving UTGame native functionality either to UnrealScript or to the UDKBase package.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Content Browser[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~now tracks recently used assets[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * click the new "Recent" check box in the filter panel to show these [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~asset list now supports drag and drop[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~search now works with full asset path names[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~sound cues can now be moved/renamed like other assets[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~localized sound nodes can now be moved into different packages[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Crowd Population Manager improvements.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Now supports streamed GameCrowdDestinations.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] (listed as "fixed crowd issues with level streaming" in the engine news)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Improved LOD support.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Improved designer control over population manager using Kismet.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Lighting[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * character lighting improvements[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~fixed shadows from non-directional lights on characters[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~added a WorldInfo property CharacterLightingContrastFactor [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * scales up the light environment's primary light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * scales down the secondary light on characters[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~added a WorldInfo Lightmass property LightEnvironmentIndirectContrastFactor [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * increases the contrast of lighting volume samples[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * multiple dominant light improvements[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~dominant spotlight cones can now intersect as long as one of them is shadowed in the intersection[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~when multiple dominant lights affect the same primitive, only the brightest is used[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~dominant lights are now toggleable at runtime[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~dominant lights no longer allow bForceDynamicLight set to true[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * improved cinematic lighting[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~added light option bNonModulatedSelfShadowing [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * use normal shadow blending when shadowing themselves [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * use modulated shadow blending on everything else[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~added light option bSelfShadowOnly [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * allows shadows from the light to not affect anything but the caster[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~added a higher quality filtering method to reduce aliasing on character faces[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Editor improvements[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * you can now press the F2 key to select the builder brush at any time[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~ also, added new menu command for this: Edit -> Select Builder Brush[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * selecting objects is now super fast, even with tons of objects![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * after a map build the editor will now blink in the task bar[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * added auto-save support for asset (non-level) packages![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * added 'Select All' to the viewport right click menu[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * 'show references' dialog window now allows more than one open at a time[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * you can now customize your PIE launch URL string[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~ just right click on the Play In Editor button to edit the URL[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * dynamic volumes can now be initially disabled (new 'Disabled' property)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * 'Reimport' now works with skeletal meshes and sound waves![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~just right click on the asset in content browser, and select 'Reimport'[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * level browser now prompts you before streaming volumes are cleared[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]--- Changes requiring a re-save or change[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Any texture imported since the December 2009 UDK build that had its import-time texture format specified as TC_NormalmapUncompressed will have had its source art (stored in the .UPK file) corrupted when the package was first saved.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * This source art data is only used when changing texture formats in the editor at a later date and is not used for gameplay.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * The bug that caused this corruption has been fixed in this UDK build, and code has been added to detect content with this problem.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * If you see a warning dialog box when changing texture formats in the editor, the best course of action is to re-import the texture from the source file. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * Matinee material parameter tracks have been rewritten to create runtime instances of MaterialInstanceConstants so that they do not affect content objects which could have had unintended side effects. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~However, as a result of this change, a Matinee can now only affect the materials on objects in the same level as the Matinee.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] ~This is required so it can determine the affected objects at save time instead of iterating all Actors at game time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]New UDN documentation[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UDKCommunityLinks.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/EditorPackageSaveProcedure.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CharacterEncoding.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AttachmentsBrowserReference.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ColorPicker.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Updated UDN Documentation[/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelBrowserReference.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UnrealUnits.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnisotropicLighting.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CascadeUserGuide.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/InstancedMaterials.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/InstancedMaterials_TimeVarying.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/PhysicalMaterialSystem.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UnrealScriptReference.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/SCCIntegration.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelOptimization.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UIDataStore.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AudioSystem.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingWaypoints.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CrowdSystem.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LitTranslucency.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DebuggerInterface.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MainEditorToolbar.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UE3MinSpecs.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingHairUsingAlpha.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsTutorial.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CreatingNormalMaps.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MassiveLOD.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/CustomLighting.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VisibilityCulling.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ParticleExamples.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    ·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ShadowingReference.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]New and Supplementary UDK Documentation: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Over 170 video tutorials[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Taking better photos for source material[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingBetterPhotosForTextures.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Using UnrealScript structs[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UnrealScriptStructs.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] - Animation documentation[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimationOverview.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/ImportingAnimationsTutorial.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingSkeletalControllers.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/RootMotion.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimationNodes.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] * [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimSetEditorUserGuide.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]More details are available at the Unreal Developer Network (UDN):[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/DevelopmentKitBuildUpgradeNotes.html[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Epic Games also maintains links to download mirrors, technical documentation and support resources at [/FONT][FONT=&quot]www.udk.com/forums[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Join the UDK user group on LinkedIn:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2493123[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Check out UDK on Facebook:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]http://www.facebook.com/pages/UDK/183744733429[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]© 2010-2010, Epic Games, Inc. Epic, Epic Games, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, AnimSet Editor, Unreal Kismet, Unreal Lightmass, Unreal Matinee, UnrealScript and Unreal Tournament are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
  • 3DRyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Just got the new update, and I must say that my prayers have been answered! Finally you can set it up so that you don't lose texture detail as you move away from the object. AND there's no performance or texture memory hit. If you click on a texture and mess with "mipgen settings" It will sharpen the image at a distance so that you don't lose that sexy detail. The higher the number the more sharpening. If you set it too high, it gets a little too sharp, so you have to watch it. Epic, you rock.
  • Slainean
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Dumb question - Do I have to uninstall my existing UDK to update? I've been avoiding updating for that reason since I noticed a couple of people having problems with fresh installs.

vvv Thanks Ben.
  • Ben Apuna
    No need to uninstall the previous version. Each install is self contained, I usually keep the current and previous UDK on my system.

Keep in mind if you save your files with a new version they will not be able to be opened with the previous version. So keep backup copies with the older version if you ever want to go back.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    now in regards to that, can you take files and move them forward? ive been trying not to put too much of my work into udk packages over time because i have the feeling that if i load an entire package from the 02-10 beta, then they will not load in the 03-10 beta...is this a fact? or is it just that you cant go from current to previous with a package?
  • Andy Kerr - Art
    'how the willy nilly' do I assign a package to a level? So everytime I open my level files the static meshes are still present in the level?

some one plz plz just help me out thanks! xxxx ;)
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    when you create a level, there is usually a package sharing the same name as whatever you call the level. if you are using an external package, be sure that it is referenced in the content browser before you open up the level.