Home Dota 2

Model Rework

GhostDetector
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
So, who do you guys think is most deserving/need of a rework?

How far is the rework going to go? Silhouette? Rigg? Base model?

Replies

• belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Slardar, Viper and Zeus are the top three, I don't really mind the other heroes that much. Only some texture updates on some others, but those three would definitely benefit from a whole new look.
  • Nemozini
    (Biased, I like to play Lina) Maybe not fully rework, but would like if they make Lina walk/levitate without her chest being a meter in front of her and her legs are crossed like in the Arcana.
    GRiZKAb.png

Would love to see a crocodile style, scaled fleshy skin Slardar.
    e0c8c1874559d5e9d3e15fcfe8612d78.jpg

Ancient Apparition is lacking. Maybe something with Ice shards...etc
    250px-Ice_Elemental.jpg

Viper sometimes feels like fixed wing plane. Need to feel more smooth like a snake. Not exactly like the image but something similar (applies to all my suggestions)

2006-06-08-wind-serpent.jpg

Can't think of anything for Tidehunter, Leshrac, Dark seer or Zeus now. But those heroes could be better.
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    ZEUUS !!!! VOTEEEEEE FOOOOR ZEUUUUUUS PRETTY PLEASEEEEEEEEE!!!
  • MechBgum
    ZEUS OR ГТФО!

zuus_vert.jpg

Anything for a remake of his chest area. Also PS1 textures.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, i think it will be zeus or slardar! they are really odl and odd
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone for Wisp? ;D
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Why do people forget about THD :(
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Why do people forget about THD :(

I voted for Jakiro on his category, but IMO the other three really need a whole new model a lot more. For Jakiro I think some new textures would help, he doesn't look that bad.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    Whats the problem with zeus? Is it just cause he is kind of looks like a boring old npc?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly I'd like to see a Spec remodel before THD :P

I think Zeus is way too generic, and perhaps Slardar needs a hi-def update. I quite like Viper as he is though :/
  • Paskie
    I think Pugnas model looks beta compared to the rest of the heroes, so my vote is on him.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    belkun wrote: »
    I voted for Jakiro on his category, but IMO the other three really need a whole new model a lot more. For Jakiro I think some new textures would help, he doesn't look that bad.

That's actually a good point, the design in question is fine it's just the blobby purple black rest of his body could be so much more! I also want him redesigned so that I can make items for him/them.
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    It's logical to think that whoever gets the model rework would be broken down and ready for items when the model is released. I'd love to see Bane remade because while he already looks awesome I really want to see him cosmetic-ready. I'd love to see Viper remade because I think his design isn't very interesting. I'd love to see Necrophos remade because I hate his face. Slardar and Zeus are great candidates as well.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    My list as follows
    Definitely: Slardar, Zeus, Ancient Apparition, Enigma, Ursa
    Maybe: Viper, Tidehunter, Jakiro
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have to say I don't really understand why a model rework should be up to the compendium community to decide. There can be many reasons for a rework (technical, aesthetics) which Valve are fully aware of, so I don't see why they would need any input on that really ...

But then again, as long as it doesn't affect sets already made for that specific character, it doesn't really matter anyways !
  • down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    pior wrote: »
    I have to say I don't really understand why a model rework should be up to the compendium community to decide. There can be many reasons for a rework (technical, aesthetics) which Valve are fully aware of, so I don't see why they would need any input on that really ...

But then again, as long as it doesn't affect sets already made for that specific character, it doesn't really matter anyways !

It's more about letting the community decide which hero to rework first, but of course eventually all the older models will be updated.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    But the rework affects artists more since we develop the cosmetics. We should try to get the rewort to the heroes that are the worst to concept/execute
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »

I dunno if Valve will actually use the "winner" of the vote as the be all end all deciding factor. They'll prob just use the vote results as a barometer for a bunch of questions they already had some answers to but wanted to get the communities thoughts. Besides, i don't even think we would be able to tell who "won". None of that info is exposed as far as i know.
  • Jlem
    Offline / Send Message
    Jlem triangle
    I think Slardar should look like this (my sketch)
    1_MEF4_JZ2_SQ.jpg
  • Creeow
    I actually like the current Zeus, sure he needs a texture update, but regardless I voted him, there's room for improvement.

I also voted for Slardar and Viper for obvious reasons, and Jakiro, I think he's current model is boring.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I only voted for heroes with lots of cosmetics, in the hopes that anyone who made cosmetics for those heroes would also have to redesign their sets. And IO. :thumbup:

I also hope they give Slardar legs, Zeus a mario hat, and axe a butt. Double butt. No, Bubble butt.

Cheers!
  • Todestomate
    I remember seeing Zeus for the first time and I was like "that's not a greek god". He really needs to loose that Lemmy-Beard and get a full beard worthy of a olympian. also, he just seems so small compared to others. he IS a god, so show some respect ;).

Also, I like viper? I have already gotten over the fact that his wings are backwards and, physics aside, that looks cool.

people also forget Enigma - yes his model is fine, but he also fits the not-in-workshop criteria.

tl,dr; ZEUS PLEASE
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    I'll throw in another vote for Zeus. He should look more like this rather than an regular old man:

Father_Zeus_by_GENZOMAN.jpg

Jlem: That is a great looking Slardar.
  • Paskie
    Ahh Genzoman, my favorite :)
  • Creeow
    @MDK The current design takes the lore in mind, he's a mortal now, not a god of war.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Creeow wrote: »
    @MDK The current design takes the lore in mind, he's a mortal now, not a god of war.

Well, that was just my opinion of what he should look more like. I don't think becoming mortal would change his appearance too much aside from glowing eyes and things that make him look godlike. He has still retained his spells, so why not his physique? (we're assuming he looked different before he was made mortal and has been transformed btw) Also he was never the god of war if we're going to be picky. :P
  • ShadowThanatos
    MdK wrote: »
    Well, that was just my opinion of what he should look more like. I don't think becoming mortal would change his appearance too much aside from glowing eyes and things that make him look godlike. He has still retained his spells, so why not his physique? (we're assuming he looked different before he was made mortal and has been transformed btw) Also he was never the god of war if we're going to be picky. :P

Actually, I think Valve wants to make his model ironic comparing to his character, being all high and mighty.

I hope Valve make him float at least. A flying midget sounds interesting to me.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    I"ve also pick Zeus, he really needs some items!
    Did a test for a new Zeus model some year ago, but my skillz were pretty bad back than :p