Home General Discussion

3d modeling on iPad

mlfarrell
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
mlfarrell polycounter lvl 10
EDIT: Aug-2012 New information on app. Scroll all the way down.

http://vertostudio.com

Replies

• mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost forgot to mention this. Let me shoot you guys straight. Most users won't mind because they aren't going super high-res. But there is a hardware limitation on the vertex-count of each model of about 65,535. The iPad can't have models with more than 64k vertices (even if it could they would render ungodly slow). So if you're looking to bring your desktop models in that have millions of faces and edit them on the iPad, then this may not be your thing.

Edit - this is also no longer true, poly and vertex counts are now unlimited.
  • murph
    wow this looks awesome... the other apps I had checked out were severely limited, but yours looks like it has a lot of nice features. Just got an ipad, too soo..... i'll definitely be checking it out :)
  • MattLichy
    Hm, that seems pretty cool. Got any videos of it?
  • Pedro Amorim
    I wouldnt say it looks cool as an app to model with..
    BUT

i think it looks cool in the sense you can open models in the app to show ppl?
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    You can import OBJ files and use it as a viewer if you want. As long as the mesh has less
    than 65 thousand verts (OpenGL es limit for models). But the editing features are there: terrain generator, extrusion tools, etc.
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, this app looks cool :) Hope you keep working on it.
    Quad faces do not seem to work, even if you import an obj with quads it will break the mesh. That is not good i guess and i do not see anyone doing modeling only editing vertex and triangles.

As a model viewer it is perfect since it supports textures and self illumination. Also, it has dynamic lights and can support a good amount of polygons (i do not know exactly how many, but i imported a character with 1000 polys and duplicated several times without any important fps loss)

Anyway, it looks promising so i will keep an eye on this.
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! Thanks for trying it out! My OBJ import algorithm is quite ridiculously complicated (due to the iPad hardware's lack of support for things like quads). I should add a split quads to triangles feature though that is applied on load (if the ipad isn't too slow to pull it off). What I typically do is use meshlab (for mac) or blender to ensure OBJ files are split to triangles before loading them into VS3D. I'm hoping when the iPad 2 comes out, some of these things will be easier for me to implement.

Also, I'd like to announce a mini competition. I want to see the BEST scene or model you can come up with using VS3D. The winner will receive a $15 itunes gift card mailed to you from me. To apply, send your model in Verto Studio format to Michael.L.Farrell AT gmail DOT com. I'll end the competition and pick a winner 30 days from now or when I receive 30 submissions (which ever one comes first). Also, VS files are encoded with a flag that determines if they were imported from OBJ, so I'll be able to tell if you cheated :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow. Pretty neat. Definitely going to check this out when I get around my iPad.

Can you load in textured models or just models?
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    derp, no videos or more info? I want to see it in action but have no ipad :(
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya

Ive just recorderd a quick video of some of the features that i think people would like to see.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4pjD60mqg[/ame]

I really hope this software keeps evolving :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    cool im gonna give this a go... does it support alpha ?
  • VPrime
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Very impressive, I will get this once I get an ipad again :)
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jhotun wrote: »
    Heya

Ive just recorderd a quick video of some of the features that i think people would like to see.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4pjD60mqg

I really hope this software keeps evolving :)

Holy crap - thanks so much for doing this. I'll receive any crash logs as well and will look into and fix all issues. My guess is your images are too big to bring into terrain gen and it uses up all the mem on the device. Also, the extrude thing perplexed me. Sometimes it moves the object far away so maybe that is what was happening.

Can you email me the golem dudes verto studio file so I can test the extrusion issue on my end. Use the "email verto studio file" thing and send it to my developer email (posted above).
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hey MLFarrell my buddy Kevin P just sent me a message today asking me to look at this and give him some feedback. Looks cool, do i need an IPAD to use it or can I use it on my PC as well?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    had a quick play with it last night as i dont have my work computer here...
    i did notice some bugs in the lighting....spotlights falloff angle will only change between infinite and about 30 degrees nothing between...
    and a look at point would be extremely usefull
    otherwise alot slicker model viewer than i was expecting needs a cut tool to be a true-modeler IMO
    very nice though
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    mlfarrel, i sent you the scene. I hope it serves to fix the problem :)
    The image i was using for the terrain is exactly this one
    http://www.cheats.ru/uploaded/e/elderscrolls4oblivion/elderscrolls4oblivion0410.jpg

The thing is that in a previous attempt it worked with max resolution and highest texure quality.

Btw, i would like to enter the mini compo, but not sure if i really would be able to model from zero something decent lol. Not being able to cut edges for me is hell :P

Anyway, let me know if you need anything more. I think this software can be a great way to bring low poly portfolio to personal interviews :)
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    As a non 3DS max user, please explain to me how this cut tool works. If it's patented by them, I may have to be careful.

Kevin's friend: Hi. Glad to see you posting. The app is currently only available for iPad. But a Mac app store version may be possible depending on how far this goes.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice work! Hats off to someone for releasing what can only be described as a niche product.

It looks great for showing models to people and making some quick edits on the fly.

As for brain farting, the more conceptual stuff, I'd say it needs to be a whole other level of intuitive. My favourite video of this kind of intuitive interfacing is ilovesketch

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSxCZE6PG50[/ame]
  • Jhotun
    Offline / Send Message
    mlfarrell wrote: »
    As a non 3DS max user, please explain to me how this cut tool works. If it's patented by them, I may have to be careful.

Kevin's friend: Hi. Glad to see you posting. The app is currently only available for iPad. But a Mac app store version may be possible depending on how far this goes.

Cut tool works drawing a line from a vertex or an edge to another one and then making a straight cut between the two. I do not think it is patented, but who knows :P

Anyway, what this software needs is a edge split tools (insert a vertex in the middle of an edge) and a proper quad support. For me that would be the minimun things i would need to start doing some proper modeling.

cheers
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so the version 1.1 update is ALMOST ready. Few items left on my list including the user manual and some other smaller things. I've done ALOT of bugfixing and added some cool stuff. While I couldn't accommodate everyone (binary ops are a huge massive undertaking), I've taken every piece of feedback into account and am pretty excited to be releasing this version.

Among one of the coolest new features will be an ipad-2 optimized dual-core implementation of a laplacian smoother, which will suplement the subdivider.

fastsmooth.png

New video here: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv_0skF3Eew[/ame]
  • mlfarrell
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't hate me for resurrecting. I just wanted to say I've listened to some of your requests and a very large update (version 1.3) is about to come out for this app that supports quads, copy paste, 4-view split and many other new features.

Thanks for all the tips guys! I've been hard at work!