Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Spirit Breaker – Pink Thingy

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Noors greentooth
Heya !
I'm giving a try at the contest ! Took some holydays in a couple weeks so hopefuly i'll have the time to complete this one.

So i'm going to make some items for Spirit Breaker : horns, shoulder armor, weapon, ,gauntlets, dress !

Tbh, i have never played dota in my entire life. But it's a common problem i think.
Still this is a great exercise/opportunity

He's some trapped shamanic goat/bull. Well, he used to look more shamanic in dota, but valve gave him some sort of leather roman armor, so i'll keep on with this, but more metallic stuff. I don't want to be too fancy, as fans seam to be a bit agressive on what can and can't be done to their heroes.

I didnt understand valve's paper about color, so i'll make him all pink ! Or not.

Now, insane concept skill action !
First throw, really not sure about anything.
sprite_break_noors_01.jpg
Thanks !

Replies

• Roar
    Hi!

Just a suggestion on the color from a DotA player:
    The requirements do list pink as a color for Spirit Breaker, but it seems to only fit as an accent color to me. I think making it the dominant color in your design doesn't fit well with the hero.

If you really want to make pink a big part of your design, you could maybe do 50% pink and 50% the original greyish brown, but 90% pink is too much. Hope this helps!
  • Managor
    Spirit breakers animations have most support to a weapon that has physics. I'd suggest you make a weapon that has chains or some sort of rope. A flail of any sort will do I guess.

Also quit putting the polycount icon on the items
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah, but gray, brown...There's not much space to make a very different skin. I'd lik to use pink anyway, on the fresnel reflection maybe (not sure it could be done)

I'll make a quick test to see if a non "chained" could work in game. Same, i could change the flail head/chain design, but it wouldn't be very different from the original weapon.
    messed a bit with him during break.
    sprite_break_noors_02.jpg

greentooth was temp and just an allusion, don't be so picky :|
    (ill put one less visible somewhere anyway :q)
  • Managor
    I'm sorry. I'm being picky since it could effect the game that I'm going to play for years forward.

The new concept looks a lot better. Maybe tint the red more darker. Somewhat same as the color in his eye. Lets see how the models look...
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    cool design, like the horns!
    btw, might I just say that your avatar pic is awesome, didn't see it before!
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Thanks guys. Some reflexion on the back.
    I really suck at drawing, always damn frustrating me.
    sprite_break_noors_03.jpg
  • dproeder
    Offline / Send Message
    dproeder polycounter lvl 5
    If the weapon physics for the character are dependent on a chain like property, I'd really revisit the ax. It could be as easy as attaching a rope or chain to the end of it. Since these mods have to be functional, you really can't ignore it.
  • Roar
    I agree that the requirements for Spirit make it difficult to create an original set...perhaps the hardest hero to do in this competition.

I definitely like the direction of the latter pictures much more, they look really good. I don't have any other suggestions besides the one already mentioned (to revisit the weapon).
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Thanks. Yeah i'll do a flail then. Still not very happy with the color scheme. Don't know if it's the "hardest" hero to deal with. , but i struggle with the existant body armor color and white/yellow plated mail. I could maybe stay in the same scheme.
  • Beezow
    I think the problem is that there's too many colors. Try to get rid of either red or yellow/gold. Maybe then it will look less busy.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yes, you're prolly right. I'll try to make this simplier. I'll do a quick 3d mockup to check the shapes too.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Didn't have the time to do much :[
    I tried the ram horns. While i like the shape, it would intersect the current shoulder armor badly, and would be constraining to work with my idea, like i was affraid it would. Basically, the shoulder armour would have to be quiet thin.
    So i might reconsider to make bull horns instead. Maybe a bit less "original", but would fit better in space.

sprite_break_noors_04.jpg

ooh yay, 3 bull heads flail thingy.
    IMG_7408.JPG
  • Futashia
    I know you've been told already, and you're probably tired of hearing it, but the colors man, they gotta change :|
  • Malakay
    Hello Noors. Your concept is looking great. It turns out I had a similar idea for the horns initially, but I moved away to a different one anyways. But I like your highlights on the horns, and your overall subtle but differentiating changes to his set. Your subtle use of brighter colors in particular looks nice and is easy on the eyes.

I don't think your axe idea is going to work out as it should, unless you can somehow edit the particle effect.