Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STAGE] Pocket Fighter, DEE JAY'S BAR "MAXIMUM", Mr Bear

EMC3D
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
e6rkwh.png

Just posting this up, will be starting work on it on the weekend. My initial idea was to do a realisitc version, but after much feedback and general thought I decided to change the re-imagination to help vary my style as an artist.

Replies

• CHON
    Such a nice idea ! let's rock it !
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome to see you participating, mate! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Best of luck.
  • itsmadman
    great choice my friend great choice
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    heh that sc2 space marine guy looks so out of place.

Good luck dude.
  • ubu
    Offline / Send Message
    ubu polycounter lvl 7
    This should be a good one, good luck to you Mr Bear
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    1j5hzb.png

2m5mpnk.jpg

Current progress on the blockout, using this to get my composition and layout right. From this shot I need to move the roof windows further left and right so they're not getting blocked out by the top of the bar and move the closest side parts in further so I can get shots of the doors and balcony.

Lighting wise I'm planning on playing with light pouring from one of the toilets / rooms with the door slightly open, and add this to the hanging ceiling lights which will make up the ambience of the scene.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    2qn01at.jpg

2ci9169.jpg

I'm not really known for my clean block-outs and early starts so don't mind all the nasty errors UDK has given me :P. Got my modular pieces in, basic diffuse tiling map applied to them, got a few pieces to fix and lightmap but It's going alright, the shell of the environment is fairly simple so it didnt take long to get the modular pieces uv'd for both uv sets and what not.

Highpoly bar area is the only thing getting highpoly love seeing as It's the main area, going to be making a neon shader for the signs and hopefully get some cool stuff going on there.

Cheers,

Elliott
  • ayoub44
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    nice stuff , if you could delete or edit that centre wall on the top .. he is a little bit noisy and you have to look at it , like he is your focal point . good luck :D
  • itsmadman
    man this may sound crazy but if i were u i would tweak the perceptive like the one in the original. every thing does not have to be so flat and simple. What makes the original image so good was the fact that its perspective was (thou silly) dynamic. even though the fighting area has to be a straight line does not mean the back ground also have to be completely straight. shack it up a little gl:)
  • c0ldhands
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    I would have focused more on capturing the exact same view as in the original show, and moved the camera closer to the bar counter.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Cheers guy I'll work on a camera angle with more kick to it, I agree the straight on camera view at the moment is a bit boring. I'll also work on the placement of the bar so there is less blank space in the foreground.

Cheers.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    vhrbjk.jpg

2lvzasz.jpg

55p3d0.jpg

Taking the brawl re-imagination to the next level and doing a mirrors edge / sci fi clean style based off of the Maximum Bar. The old re-visualization was looking a bit too much like the tavern I did last year, and was the same style I had done most of my environments, so this is a fresh outlook for me.

I'm also turning it into a mini environment hence the additional screenshots. Still in blockout stages.

This type of style means I can turn over textures and meshes quickly I'm looking to finish the whole thing before 20th april.
  • ubu
    Offline / Send Message
    ubu polycounter lvl 7
    Like the new direction
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    4iitd0.jpg

333va8l.jpg

Spent the night fleshing out and splittng up the blockout, did some more passes on the lighting. The next stage is to get the cleaner versions of geometry in place and in managable chunks.

Then I can move onto the Maximum text placement and flesh out the counter area into either a reception or bar like in the original.
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    At first I wasn't too sure but I like the latest shots of the new direction. Definitely feels very Mass Effect. The exterior vista from what I'm guessing is behind the camera from the fighting viewpoint (left side of second image) is especially cool, personally it might be more interesting than the close-up buildings seen in the background of the first image.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    ftkfbm.jpg

elbmsj.jpg

Fleshing out and getting some texture information down before I flesh out more of the level. Not a fan of the front windows, but think it works nicely on the back area (the area you wont see XD) so still brainstorming meshes for the front type of window.
  • tonysladky
    Looking at this, I'm concerned (don't know if you share that concern) that you're kinda losing the "bar" aspect. Right now, it feels kinda like an airport or a preposterously swanky waiting room.

I'm guessing the bar would be in the dark area under the "MAXIMUM"; I'll assume that'll be lit eventually so we can see what's going on and not harass you about that. Other things I think might help: Barstools at the bar. Maybe some tables and chairs in that mid-level (is the fighting area down on the lowest level up against the window?). Also, those slanted support structures on the sides of the bar look too low for a bartender to pass behind them, but the cube that I'm interpreting as the bar goes beyond that. Anyone stuck sitting on the outside of those pillars would be waiting a long time for their drinks.

Love the art direction (Mass Effect and Mirror's Edge are among my favorite games to look at). Looking good.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    34paxb4.jpg

Changed the bar type to get more geometry and information closer to the fighting area. Need to flesh out the inner bar with some pillars and see what I can do for the back wall.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys unfortunetly University has had me busy which has resulted in me only just picking up the BRAWL scene again. I intend to finish it but not for the deadline today.

I'll keep this post updated with my construction until I'm happy with it.

2ihw1mu.png

k49oi9.png

s48f8i.png

Cheers!
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Feels very The Shard, love it.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice work.