Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio 2012, Outdated] - Alex Miaris, 3D Animator

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone!

My name is Alex and I just got my new demoreel up on my new website. I'm going to apply for a junior 3D animator position soon and before I do that, I wanted to first ask you guys for some feedback. I think this is actually the first time i've posted my work here on PC, so i'm a bit nervous. D

Anyway, if you have a few minutes to spare and anything to say about my demoreel or the website or whatever, i'd love to hear it!

I'd also really appreciate your opinion regarding the order of the animations in the reel. Should I re-arrange anything or keep it like it is?

Here's the website link: www.alexmiaris.com

Thanks a lot in advance guys, i'm really looking forward to your feedback.

edit: damn, i just saw the title. I wrote "Portolio" instead of "Portfolio"..

Replies

• Next
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    i like what i saw,
    maybe a bit too quick end-cuts when they hit the ground and die.
    Also i think the way in which the hand injects the pallets, should show those maybe better. -or just use a better hand/arm model...
    The dog walks a bit stiff and could also have his mouth animated too :)
    else it looks solid!

sche gmocht ;)
  • HendrikN
    comeon you animators out there, share some love for austria ;)
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I liked It and also how (from what I could tell) no geo clipped with another part of a mesh.

I'd say if you could make It, 3 minutes to 5 minutes long It would help.
    From what I saw you got talent for animating nice reel for the most part.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I feel you need to dose your springyness a bit better. The backpack of the gasmask-guy looks like it's made of rubber or jelly, but the shotgun firing feels too stiff.
  • Sn1pe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sn1pe polycounter lvl 9
    The character animation is decent, I think you should get rid of or redo the first person viewpoint animation though, it's your weakest piece and it looks really amateur which will turn off employers immediately *no offense, alot of animators can't seem to get FP anims right without practice/advice* also I feel the run animation could use more bounce, feels too in-place.
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Wow thanks a lot for the feedback guys!

@Next - Danke :D Yeah, I tweaked the first person animation, maybe it'll work better that way. And i've tweaked the dog, animated his mouth and his ears. He looks more lively now!

@$!nz - Thanks man! I will definitely see what i can do about the length, you're right it is a short reel!

@Snader - Thanks a lot! You're right; I went over the backpack and the shotgun and tweaked them, it should be looking better now.

@Sn1pe - No worries man, thanks a ton! But I have a question. Did you mean the entire part of the FP-animation was weak and amateur like, or just the shooting part maybe? Because I think the shooting part might have pulled down the quality of the entire animation. I redid the shooting part and tweaked the reloading part, so i think it's looking better right now. What do you say? Better? Also, i took a look at the runcycle and I definitely agree. I adjusted it, he's bouncier now!

So the changes i made are the following:

- Made the dog walk less stiff, animated his mouth and ears

- Tweaked the first person animation / redid the whole shooting part (gave the shotgun a proper blast, made it less stiff)

- Tweaked the backpack of the gasmask-guy (made it bounce a bit less)

- Made the runcycle bouncier

website link again: www.alexmiaris.com

Thank
    you guys again for the feedback, it really helped!
  • Treboras
    Offline / Send Message
    Treboras polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Alex! Congratulations on completing your portfolio! I really like it and I love the animation style of the small guy ;)

Keep up the great work and good luck with the job-hunt :)