Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bigley: Low Poly Thread

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    :D Glad you guys like it! I am really trying. I credit a lot of what I have learned in characters to Mark Leon and Brett Briley. Both awesome 3d character guys who taught me a lot. Update coming soon. Gotta have this guy done mostly by Friday.

Chai - You know man I think I am just going to have to move on. I had already previously wasted tons of time on the pose and the current one was me finally saying you know what?! This is it. lol I had spent about a week going back and forth with people on facebook tweaking things.

An instructor of mine said something about the same arm you are bothered by. He said it would be difficult to hold a blade that large in that pose for very long. Basically saying it felt a little unnatural. I agree. And I told him the reason I went with it was due to the silhouette. Which one is right? He said he didn't know the answer to that and that is something I would have to figure out... Granted I have tweaked it a bit since but I truly feel this is something that could be endless as everyone has a different opinion on what they see as a good pose.

Idk man I am on a deadline and I gotta move on at some point. Hopefully you don't take that as me blowing your critique off. Really not trying to come off that way. :/
  • Chai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chai polycounter lvl 17
    :D Glad you guys like it! I am really trying. I credit a lot of what I have learned in characters to Mark Leon and Brett Briley. Both awesome 3d character guys who taught me a lot. Update coming soon. Gotta have this guy done mostly by Friday.

Chai - You know man I think I am just going to have to move on. I had already previously wasted tons of time on the pose and the current one was me finally saying you know what?! This is it. lol I had spent about a week going back and forth with people on facebook tweaking things.

An instructor of mine said something about the same arm you are bothered by. He said it would be difficult to hold a blade that large in that pose for very long. Basically saying it felt a little unnatural. I agree. And I told him the reason I went with it was due to the silhouette. Which one is right? He said he didn't know the answer to that and that is something I would have to figure out... Granted I have tweaked it a bit since but I truly feel this is something that could be endless as everyone has a different opinion on what they see as a good pose.

Idk man I am on a deadline and I gotta move on at some point. Hopefully you don't take that as me blowing your critique off. Really not trying to come off that way. :/

Ye mate I totally agree, a saying goes you can only really learn a handful of things with each piece.
    Honestly mad props for working on this for so long, I usually get tired of things after a week or two ;)

Good stuff !
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    hey man just droopin in to say that it looks really great i like it a lot.
    but ur bakes are without any edge paddin, at least i think the ones u posted... i know marmoset handles that quite well but i would suggest adding maybe 16 padding so u are on the save side on things even in udk or so .
    cheers
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Really sweet work, what I like the most is the skin color and shine you got going :)
    Have to agree with that the pose seams unnatural and a bit show of maybe, but as you already said you got to move on, we all have to smack ourselves in the face sometimes and say ENOUGH!
    Already looking forward to see what you come up with next :)
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    hey JJ, loving the way the lights are hitting him, except for the little blown out spot on his nose, but that will probably be fixed after you add the spec :)
    looking awesome so far! hope port class is going well ^____^
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really great stuff in here!
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Baddcog wrote: »
    yes
    And en Espanol: "Ay way!"

But looks good JJ. Keep at and in the end, your character and mine will go at it in a massive battle of great magnitude that will blow the planet away!.....maybe....idk....
  • Hanska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hanska polycounter lvl 6
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much guys! :) Comments make me all warm and fuzzy on the inside...
    >.>
    <.<

Next - yeah there is padding on it. Padding of 4 on a 4096x2048. 16?! Really? I had a senior character artist tell me a padding of 4 covers most mips. Though I did experience a small issue. I think bumping it up to 6 would have covered it but idk.

Update on the stand...
    Could have used a bit more love but it is just the stand and I gotta shove on! Sorry about the overkill on bloom and haziness. lol Got carried away.

Diorama_Final.jpg
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good man! my only crit would be to add more of the dirt into the stones. Some of them look too grey. As if they were never affected by the surrounding dirt, same goes for the skull. On the foliage, desaturating some of the grass blades will also bring more variety.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks raul! I implemented that but I don't know if you can tell or not. Really appreciate the feedback!

Update! Kinda pretty much done. This is sort of a temporary presentation just to get the project "completed" in my mind. Should be getting some real presentations, breakdowns and flats up in a week or two... and they should be higher res.

Shout out to my buddy Phillip Bailey for giving lighting critiques and suggestions... It came a looong way since this morning.

Prefinal_03.jpg
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Seriously cool stuff! I don't know what I like more the stand or the skull :) Inspiration folder!
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    Some really nice stuff in here man, Especially like the Skaven rogue/ninja :3
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    fan-freaking-tastic! awesome to see this finally completed. i remember seeing it start way back when on 3dtotal. :D
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    siiiiick arts! loving this thread!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    What are you rendering these in? The lighting is amazing. :O
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D Thank you so much guys!

felipefrango - if by these you mean all of my props and stuff. I am using either 3point or Marmoset. Specifically for the rat... I used marmoset. Whenever I need the light control I like marmoset for that. 3point I can really get some nice reflections but I am limited to 3 lights and it is hard to get the results that I want with just 3. Oh and I did the bloom in photoshop. :/ I just hate the way marmoset bloom looks. It creates some really weird shapes. Really glad you like it. :) And I really appreciate the help you gave on the previous page man. Awesome stuff. What is funny is if I had gone with a 4096x I would probably still be texturing. My computer could barely handle the 4096x2048. :/

Oniram - Right! ... damn that feels like so long ago. 2009? I really was considering never going back to him but I figured since the highpoly was done I might as well just lowpoly and texture. But really it is nice to get this guy out of my mind. And I am so over my character phase now. Bleh! Bring on the hard surface! Glad you like it man :)
    Really g
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Dude. Awesome! The rest of your stuff is fantastic as well. You look like you're quite versatile as well with your props/environments/character, so would probably be a great asset to a team.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info! And yeah, with huge sizes it's easy to get stuck in the really tiny details that won't even show up due to the resolution.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori - :D That means a lot because I was kinda hesitant to start a character and have him in my portfolio but if it is coming off as extremely versatile then that is a +!

Got a little thing here that I wanna wrap up. Taking a break from the rat.
    WIP but I feel it is at a point to show now. No spec really. Just working on the canvas mainly.

Screen_14-large-1.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, really solid modeling!

Also...
    I was kinda hesitant to start a character and have him in my portfolio

Waaaaat? Seriously, what the hell, fuck you. That rat is so badass I don't even know where to start.

ಠ_ಠ
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What he said.

Also, that backpack? I would pay money for that backpack.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waaaaat? Seriously, what the hell, fuck you. That rat is so badass I don't even know where to start.

ಠ_ಠ
    LOL! Well thanks guys! Probably a couple of things I will still go back and tweak in the textures before my final presentation... until then.

I think I am pretty much done with the backpack. I will get around to those presentations eventually as well... >.>

Screen_15-large.jpg
  • innervision961
    Holy crap, the rat guy is amazing! I love all your props too!
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your backpack and rat guy make me very happy. Good work.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :D Thank you guys! I guess it has been a while since I updated. I should throw up the final images. I had tweaked some colors and minor things on the rat and got up some other views as well. Also have my final presentations for the backpack that I wanted to throw up here just to keep this thread up to date.

I really need to get onto some new work cranked out now... D: Doing a bit of freelance trying to land a fulltime job. So many bills, so little money, and so little time.

Highpoly_Front_Sheet.jpg

Lowpoly_Beauty_Shot.jpg

Lowpoly_EvenLighting_01.jpg

Lowpoly_EvenLighting_02.jpg

01_Highpoly_Backpack_Set_01.jpg

03_Highpoly_Backpack_Set_02.jpg

09_Textured_Backpack_Set_01.jpg

11_Textured_Backpack_Set_02.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Sweet work, that rat is so badass :)
    Hope you land a job soon, know what you mean about bills, money and time ;)
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    sweet modelling and texturing skills man! grats for your works!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Next-gen stuff man, amazing. Some serious texturing skills.

Eat 3D or someone needs to get you to make a texturing DVD fo sho.