Home General Discussion

DAY Z : Mod for ARMA II (Zombie Apocalypse Survivalist FPS/RPG)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
So I stumbled on this mod this morning called Day Z. It runs off of ARMA II with the Operation Arrowhead Expansion. You can buy the two as ARMA II: Combined Operations off of STEAM for $29.99 USD currently or if you have ARMA II you can buy Operation Arrowhead for $19.99. You need that and then just download the free mod files from the Day Z website, www.dayzmod.com

The way it works is you get spawned into the world as a survivalist during the zombie apocalypse. The world is persistent, so anything you do effectively remains once you log out. There is permanent death, so if you mess up and die you don't just respawn with all of the gear/weapons and loot you acquired during play. Hopefully you were in a group and somebody was kind enough or even able to get your stuff back to give to you later on...if you find them again. The night time game play can be pretty intense. You use road flares, flashlights and NVG to hopefully not get swarmed from the dark. Just know though that if you use flares or lights or glowsticks even that you also draw attention from other players in the game, not just zombies. I've now see players grouping up and acting as bandits robbing single players at gunpoint of their gear. I've seen lone wolf players setting up ambush points with sniper fire in small towns against other players. I've seen groups that took over small towns or buildings and using them as a base of operations for surviving. It is really interesting to see the social aspects of it play out. You go thru houses, buildings, industrial structures looking for weapons/ammo/food/gear. It is definitely a fun mod and they keep adding servers frequently. I'll be playing off of Dallas servers mostly. There are a ton of good Youtube videos up showing people playing as groups using team speak and skype. Definitely seems to pay off to use these when playing as a group.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    wow, this looks pretty sweet.
    been looking for a new online fix lately.
    do people more often then not just shoot first and ask questions later, or are they keen to team up in random encounters?
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    It seems like so far people are more inclined to approach each other with caution and talk before shooting it out. There are people who will outright start a firefight on sight though still. Most often those people are alone and haven't quite figured out the consequences of doing that. Even so if you see a lone person on a road and they're trying to coax you over, still proceed with caution. People set up ambushes doing that, especially if you're not out in the open and there is cover close by, more so closer to the person trying to get you to come to them. I watched a video where somebody set up an ambush like that and had a sniper up on a building doing overwatch on the bait person. The guy coming down the road wasn't alone either they had sent 2 people to flank the one with overwatch and it ended up in a firefight. It is pretty awesome that thinking and tactics of survival do come into play and work in this mod.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man! this is a brilliant idea for a game! I kind of want to try this out when i get home, or tomorrow. Any other polycounters on the west coast interested?
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    I've been playing this mod for the last 3 or 4 weeks, very cool, and since they've reduced the connect and load times, it's even better.

Play with a group of friends, all from SA, did some damage on a US server the one night, took one of the castles, held it, gathered some loot, and left again.

Also, some great weapons to be found at the NE airfield, but often bandits around there (I myself was a bandit, then i got killed)

I jump around, between the EU servers, and the US servers, depending on whether it's day or night, and which i feel like playing int. Username burga, if ever you guys see me online - just burga, and that spelling, there is another guy playing using the name burgerlol
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    been looking at videos all day, only getting me more interested.
    whats the overall objective? from what i gather it's to get to an airfield somewhere in the north, or just survive as long as possible?

i dont have a copy of arma, but i'm really thinking about picking it up if there's some decent replay.
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Damn this really does look fun, but kinda hard to drop $30 on a mod with a handful of servers that seem to be full the majority of the time.

Next steam sale if this is a deal I'll be grabbing it for sure.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The objective is to survive, plain and simple. For the rest, you give yourself objectives. It's up to you what you want to do. But it's great fun, even more fun if you're playing with friends.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    sounds very interesting, from what you talk about the ambushes/firefights its the kind of gameplay i've wanted to try long time ago, but there isn't any pics/videos on the main web, any link for a video of those ambushes? :P
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    I bought ARMA 2 today just to try this.. It's taking it's time downloading... Come on! I want some zombie action! :D

It's good to see that this mod put ARMA back onto the top sellers list on steam. :) Good to see modding communities doing some good for game developers.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    wow this is the type of games I wanna play! thanks for sharing.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    I bought arma2 also just for this and it ain't working. I guess the demand overwhelmed them and they're unable to support it.
    I've been in the server menus for hours now...
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ahrkey, if you could give me a bit more info, i could probably help you get it to work.

First thing is are you installing it properly?

http://www.armafiles.info/dayz/

All of those files are to be extracted, then create a folder called:

@dayz, and inside that folder a another folder called: "addons" all lower case. Copy all the files extracted from the .rars, and put them into the addons folder.

Put the @dayz folder inside your arma directory, create a shortcut, and add the modfolder to the shortcuts pathline, so

mod="@dayz" at the end of it. There are other methods of loading the mod, you could download a launcher, and tick the @dayz modfolder, you could create a batch file(what i use - as i run a number of other mods(separate batch file), and batch file are easier for me to make changes to etc, gives me more control).

Don't run any mods in addition to dayz, ensure that you're only running the latest version of the game (some servers are using the beta Arma 2 update) and that you haven't installed any mods, by putting them into the addons folder, best method is using a modfolder. e.g. @modname.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If you see someone running through the night with 20 zombies after him, it's most likely me.
  • Sir_Manfred
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld: Yes. Me too. In fact, I was running through the night earlier today with shitloads of zombies coming after me. But in the end, I died of starvation and not zombie-bites.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm pretty sure tons of us have thought of this game, but thanks to publishers being afraid to invest in anything that isn't Battlefield of Duty Hero it hadn't had a chance. I really hope this proves to them that a game like this would sell.

I even more hope that Valve gets it and makes it into a Left 4 Dead 3 or something. I just want to see it getting the proper attention instead of staying as a mod.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds awesome and looks great from the videos I saw. Has me wondering if Suvarium (or whatever the no-stalker 2 game is) will be something like this.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I'll be honest, this video encompasses almost everything I've ever wanted from a zombie game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf1M-9pKH4A"]The Days Ahead - Part 4 - Back to Chernogorsk - YouTube[/ame]
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Been playing this alot lately, had a few stand offs with other players too...tense stuff.

Also night time, bloody hell.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    Sounds awesome and looks great from the videos I saw. Has me wondering if Suvarium (or whatever the no-stalker 2 game is) will be something like this.

Yeah same thought as well. I love how the people present their dayZ videos in youtube like some kind of diary/short story. I love this one especially the moment they got zerged by zombies :)[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e-9C09T-R4&feature=plcp"]ARMA II DayZ Mod - Pt. 2: Getting Overrun and the Final Decision - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty intense even if I'm just watching it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Was playing most of the weekend with my roommate. Really amazing mod. It's recently popularity has really bogged up the central server that's used for world persistence though, so logging into a game sometimes takes 10+minutes as of Friday. But when you get it, it's brilliant. The dual threat of walkers and bandits makes for some extremely tense moments. You definitely think twice about throwing out that road flare in the pitch black of night, since it's a beacon for bandits to come after you :D
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    I play with a group of 4 if anyones looking to stick with a team.EU type servers for us mind you.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Downloading now. CAN'T WAIT.

-Do I need to set up my controls/video settings in ArmaII first or can I just download this on Steam and put the mod on right away?
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A polycount server for this would be so sick.

Then again, I'm not sure how much I trust any of you gentlemen. I guess this will let me know for sure.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Booya, if thats even possible I'd be interested in hosting for sure.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    argh! you guys sucked me in, downloading right now.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Omg I am freaked out at this game haha, I love it! if you get a polycount server going that would be cool. Is anyone else experiencing a REALLY hard time at night seeing? it looks black and white texture wise. Also if anyone has a problem with any of the installation pm me or say because I spent like 5 hours trying to figure it out and I got it. Ran across every issue known to man lol.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @aajohnny: ARMA 2 has weird HDR for some people, and yeah its goona be pitch black at night. Supposedly your in-game eyes will adjust if you stay away from light, I never noticed much of a change. Might wanna check on BI's forum for an .ini tweek or something.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Ah thanks man, i'll have to check that out because I don't want to sit around in the day every time I wanna play.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Booya, if thats even possible I'd be interested in hosting for sure.

Most likely not, their architecture relies on extra systems and databases beyond their servers that keep track over characters so that they're persistent over servers, I think people have approached and have been denied before.

Additionally, if anyone is into this kind of stuff, there's also cataclysm roguelike:

http://whalesdev.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

a singleplayer but very survival/scavenging/zombie-apocalyptic roguelike.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    @Ahrkey, if you could give me a bit more info, i could probably help you get it to work.

First thing is are you installing it properly?

Thanks but I think it's on their side(server). Everyone in chat had the same problem. Managed to get into a server a while later but then it was dark in the game and I made something to upset the controls and my character sprinted/ran in the middle of a zombie pack... After that I decided I should start playing during the day.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you and fuck this thread.

You just reached through a series of fiber optic tubes, reached into my brain, and as a dark tendril that went from my skull all the way from my spinal cord to my heart and wrapped its filthy slimy tentacles around it, forcing me to open my wallet and buy everything ARMA due to this beautiful mod that has rendered me a poor excuse for a self-thinking human being.

So yeah...damn you, damn you to hell!
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to play this so bad... but I can't justify dropping $30 on this a week before Diablo 3... :(
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ahrkey, i see, thats just server load, when you join, it either has to load your character, or create your character, which, when the server is busy, takes a while, couple of weeks back, joining would sometimes take 30mins...

As for the night day cycle, it's all real time, so if you're in the US, and it's night, then it'll be night in the game, so to get around that, you can just join an EU server at night, and the US server during the day.

For the sprint forward, you probably pressed W twice, that is the key to sprint, double tapping W. Holding shift, or double tapping shift will toggle jog/walk.

Been playing Arma 2 online everyday for the last 3 years, so i know most of what there is to know.

+1 for a polycount server, would be sweet, must join you guys sometime.

@Paradan, the black of the night is a bit severe in this mod, they've tweaked it, so that it's darker at night that usual, they probably chose a certain month / day where there is no moon, and is just naturally dark. But i think they've edited it to be that dark with scripts.

Normally, when not running this mod, your eyes do adjust to the light around you, but it doesn't seem to be very prevalent in this mod. One way is to adjust the brightness and gamma on your screen at night, or join a server where it's daytime (just look at timezones, and figure out which country its daylight in, and join a server from that country).
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet mod, the CHKilroy videos have hooked me to at least try this.

I agree with a polycount server but then again I am reminded, Trust no one!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To host a server you have to contact the dev team, IIRC. They have to set one up for you.

The surge in popularity has been very taxing on those central auth servers, so I'm hoping when more servers pop up, things will smooth out some. Sometimes I can join a server and get ingame within 1-2 minutes, while other times it's taken 30minutes to join. Kinda wonky. But, it's alpha.

Nighttime is SCARY AS HELL, FYI. you're tempted to use flares, flashlights or chemlights, but those act as beacons for evil bandit players, who just want to kill you and take your shit. Very intense moments for sure. I'm loving it.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Wouldn't running a polycount server defeat the element of distrust and caution as on public servers?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Fuse wrote: »
    Wouldn't running a polycount server defeat the element of distrust and caution as on public servers?

It's not even possible to run a private server, running a server means running one for everyone.

And yes, big part of the game is the paranoia related to other players.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Been trying to install the game since sunday thinking I could do it with only the standalone expansion but now i got arma 2 aswell and il try to get in :)(downloading steam) I have been watching quite a few videos im really liking it! I got a couple of guys at work also interested so hopefully i have someone to team up with soon :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    As much as I love the idea and concept of this mod, I fucking hate the original Arma2 design. Probably the most horrible UI you could implement for the first person game.

Spent 10 minutes trying to loot stuff from the players corpse and still don't quite understand how it works.

Also couldn't figure out how to chat

Any hints ? :c

Oh, and this game uses my windows login for ingame name. Any way to change it?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to make a new user profile to change your name. Or you can dig through the ArmA config files to change it.

The UI is fine for me. It's not great, but it's certainly not horrible. The problem is that this mod adds more functionality to the inventory system, without really changing the way it looks to suit, which adds some confusion (the pack system, for instance) some mods (like ACE) do it really well.

In the menu, #'s of items on the left side is what's in the object you're searching. The # on the right is how many you have in your inventory. Click the arrow to the left to remove an item, click the right arrow to add it. Pretty straight forward.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    cool, thanks man, makes more sense now
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgAvevBpArA wow the night is so dark and scary, it look like true survival game .. thinking to get this game
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    This mod is a crazy amount of fun, ive met some good players and several dastardly bandits, my only gripe is with how you dont start with a map or even compass. There have been at least three times I have spawned in the middle of nowhere, very few zombies and zero supplies or other players.

It also makes meeting up with friends very difficult, at least until one of us finds a map
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    If you want you could memorize this:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/images/chernarus_big_hq.jpg

I want to print that out huge, hang it on my wall, and mark stuff off with red thumbtacks - TACTICAL!!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, so I tested it out at a friends home, the game is UBER-FUN!

But I seriously hope (thanks to the forums announcement) that they go indie and make a separate game, because in it's current state, the game really requires patience, and patience isn't something I want to waste on grinding with 'technical issues'.

The lag sometimes is utterly impossible to work with when it comes to shooting, unless you backtrack and shoot a runner in the face, side way shooting doesn't seem to work. The jitterbugging of the characters also doesn't help, and the 'hacking' zombies where they literally pop out of houses is ridiculous to say the least.
    This is made worse on how characters need a startup, but the zombies seem to go from 0-60 in under 1 second.

The AI is also very bad, sometimes you will be literally crawling, and the runners will spot you a mile ahead, while other times, you bump right into them and they don't even see you, not to mention, the sound of the screaming sometimes doesn't respect depth between you and objects. Being on top of a tower = zombie screaming right next to you when they're in the next village over, it doesn't make sense.
    This is also made worse by the fact that sometimes a scream will attract zombies near by while other times, nothing happens, not to mention, crawling zombies don't even crawl, half of the time they 'flail' on the ground, making me waste precious ammo because I'm unsure if they're dead or not.

The clunky inventory also doesn't help, it not optimized for this mod clearly, ARMA2's inventory works well as it is, but a mod where sometimes your friends kite an enemy, and you need to sneak in to steal stuff and run away ends up me in dropping my weapon before I found out about the limit is silly to say the least. A simplified 'Take All' or Drag and Drop system with simple boxes and space area would have been enough.
    The inventory system remind me of ME's system, where there was no sense or reason on how things are organized, this made the progress counter-productive to say the least.

The reward system is also very unbalanced, I can respect sometimes killing an entire hoarde of zombies only to find nothing in the building, that's how life is, but more times then not, if you see a bunch of zombies in a corner, you know there is an item around the corner, but here is where the system breaks down.
    Stealthy players will never get compensated if they avoid battles, which goes against the basic idea of 'chance', to make things worse, you spend hours doing nothing, you get nothing in return including exploration reward. Also wasting all of your ammo on a hoarde, only to find a new weapon, which while good, only ends up being served as the 'next' checkpoint till the next weapon.
    There isn't a sense of 'Should I keep weapon X or take Weapon Y' taking into account ammo amount, power, conditions, etc it comes down to 'Oh, I just wasted all of my ammo, look, another weapon, checkpoint please!', so I'm really not happy with this at all.

The night system is also silly to say the least, I understand night-time is dark, but it's pitch black during dusk or dawn times, before the sun goes down or up due to horizon blinding, not during midnight.
    Even without the moon, there should a small amount of 'light' on which people can use to navigate.

Overall, the game is fun, but the amount of 'issues' which the Dev's don't seem to want to fix or cannot fix due to A2's limitation, I have to say, I'll pass up on this. I'll play it at a friends house, but I'm not willing to drop 30$ for a broken mod which brings in unfair issues at hand.
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does anyone know of a way to get this mod without spending a dime on the game?

I saw a demo version of Operation Arrowhead, but I'm not gonna download it if it wont work. I will not justify spending 30 bucks on a mod, especially if I won't ever play the real game. War simulators are not my kind of game.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    If the game could work on a demo, it would be awesome, then many of the issues at hand could be 'excused' on the account of being free.