medicmelee2.png

Edgewear is too strong and blood shouldn't have bevel

The canister might look less slapped on if you made it more like this?:

sawedit.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback guys. How does this look?

medicmelee3.png
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better, is the handle grip chunky enough? Apart from that potential error I reckon you're about good to go.
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teststrings2.png

So um trying something new. I've never done a model so detailed before so I'd like you guys opinions on it. I'm having the worst trouble on the strings. Also, this is a melee for medic, incase anyone wants to know.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey so what's the format i have to save my texture to? When i save as a tga, i have a 1 pixel width white banding around my texture

like this
    JWznD.jpg

when viewing at 100%, it's not noticeable, but in game that 1 pixel width white banding is noticeable
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    what software and method did you use to generate the texture?
    You have to add a padding of some pixels, let's say 4 pixels atleast, so the black doesn't bleed in game with the texture filtering.
    The valve texture format is .vtf, but it's just a container, very similar to dds. If you grab http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=39 , you'll be able to generate them. Usually in game, the dxt1 or dxt5 (with alpha) compressions are used.
    Anyway, tga is ok and valve accepts it in submissions.
    The white banding is not caused by the tga format, it's related on how you did that texture.
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a scaling issue to me.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i directly worked on the 256x256 image
    i use a very tiny padding so i'll use a 4 pixel padding
    thanks
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hows this look guys?

textest.png
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0029B777B37BF86C46AF7DFECEFA906E27A5C0E8
    uploaded the new postal pummeler. lods for both styles, ill upload the model soon incase anyone wants to use it to replace the original postal pummeler

workshop
    GameBanana Download
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should email the TF Team letting them know it exists too.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really think it looks a bit too clean, there should be a dent ontop like the original to make it seem more worn out.
    Other than that, greatly improved over the original.
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    Made 'Toothless update' for my hockey helm, thumbs up if you like this charming smile :)

8132FEC128F67311EFE76FD5ADEF11433062DCD4
  • Karkasmolenklok
    The missing tooth is a nice touch. I hope they'll consider it. It would go great with The Cross Checker by Populus89
    Thanks for the feedback guys. How does this look?
    Fantastic.
  • mahmoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so adding a bigger padding helped me fix the initial problem. Now i was wondering about one thing. On my hat there is this white band that goes in the middle.

Bv3Sv.jpg

like this

The way i handled it is by unwrapping that middle band separately, vertically so that i can have a perfect looking white band.

Is this the proper way to do it? I couldn't draw that white band directly so i just used this way.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    No, but I'm glad to see you're still around and working on TF2 stuff.
    That's very friendly - but if I can't export anything, I'm afraid it won't be much of a comeback to TF2 :( .
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little tutorial I did for using itemtest for hats or weapons with a bone Compiling items with a bone
  • roninsmastermix
    268x268.resizedimage
    Rate-up if you like it. Thanks for your support
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need some serious help figuring out how to properly texture. Just looking at existing ones does not help me at all since I cant seem to grasp how they are done. Swizzle's texturing guide does not really help me either.

What is the best brush to use? And what settings should be set for it?
    What opacity should it be set at when using a tablet? (note I am not experienced with tablets)
    Should the texture be painted line after line or in chunks?
    What is the best way to determine what colors to use for different layers of the texture?

This is the best I am capable of right now

0ab3a7e0.png
  • 1Fort 2Fort
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so what should I do if the model is absolutely perfect in HLMV but missing its texture and rotated wrong in team fortress/item test. I honestly dunno what it could be and I tried looking it up but didn't find anything. Any help is much appreciated, also it would be lovely if someone could add me on steam temporary to help here: Add Vintage Vain here
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    emrfish6 wrote: »
    I need some serious help figuring out how to properly texture. Just looking at existing ones does not help me at all since I cant seem to grasp how they are done. Swizzle's texturing guide does not really help me either.

What is the best brush to use? And what settings should be set for it?
    What opacity should it be set at when using a tablet? (note I am not experienced with tablets)
    Should the texture be painted line after line or in chunks?
    What is the best way to determine what colors to use for different layers of the texture?

We can't really tell what you're doing, could you show the whole model? Also be sure to use ambient occlusion.
  • Too Many Bees!
    I am not the most experienced modeler, but for texturing, I've noticed that the following works pretty well for TF2's style:

Layers from bottom to top:
    1. solid base colors
    2. a few broad, deliberate "paint" strokes
    3. semi-transparent gradients to break up large areas of solid color
    4. Some hard edged wear and tear on the sharp edges of the mesh
    5. ambient occlusion, with its opacity tweaked so that it isn't too overpowering when combined with any gradients you're using

I don't map pressure to opacity when I use a tablet. I always use solid color. (My pressure controls brush size 99% of the time.) I use Painter to lay down the main patches of color, so I can't really help when it comes to painting in Photoshop (which I assume is what you and everyone else uses).

But yeah, echoing Asdf_xuiop, let's see that model.
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    Meet the 'Pop-eyes', thumbs up if you like it, thanks! :)

43E1B19042E83B15E41CA6666BFBF52CC9E176FB
    AF2BC30DE37DB90571503077AC42B8E6F3C2BF3A
    F811D6FFFE92351B15E4562644BD22C063E7205F
    9A5A31D3A6508B6B666E41E0308BA4210F3CB32B

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHOzpewupfQ"]'Pop_eyes' misc item for Pyro - YouTube[/ame]
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not the most experienced modeler, but for texturing, I've noticed that the following works pretty well for TF2's style:

Layers from bottom to top:
    1. solid base colors
    2. a few broad, deliberate "paint" strokes
    3. semi-transparent gradients to break up large areas of solid color
    4. Some hard edged wear and tear on the sharp edges of the mesh
    5. ambient occlusion, with its opacity tweaked so that it isn't too overpowering when combined with any gradients you're using

I don't map pressure to opacity when I use a tablet. I always use solid color. (My pressure controls brush size 99% of the time.) I use Painter to lay down the main patches of color, so I can't really help when it comes to painting in Photoshop (which I assume is what you and everyone else uses).

But yeah, echoing Asdf_xuiop, let's see that model.

I will try some of those things you listed, thank you for posting them.

Here is the model in question, note the metal bits texture is still very WIP/will be replaced anyway.

54248bea.png

My bake is ambient occlusion is thats what you meant, or did you mean something in photoshop?

*edit* It seems the setting for the bake layer accidentally got changed from multiply to darken so the ao isnt really there in the above picture.
    *edit2* included fixed picture with ao present
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For something like that you don't need to sweat over the texture, just add some edge highlights like seen in this guide: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73559

Once you add phong the texture won't be that evident.
  • emrfish6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *edit* Finished the newer, better version

c_littleprick_promopic2.png
  • Voidoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid polycounter lvl 7
    1CE5E650D530DABA4412E443804B60507039FBD3

The Costanza Complex
    The jerk store called - they're running out of you!

Click to upvote and all that.
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    That's gold Jerry! Gold!
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, quick question. How does one go about having multiple textures on one model? I'm using blender and I'm trying to add glass to a gun.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Just assign the different textures to different parts of the gun and have a vtf and vmt for each.

Or use alpha for the glass part. Easier to do two imo. Then use the alpha channel for phong. (if you use it for glass you have to make a flat normal map for an alpha channel for the alpha so...)
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1HrNl.png
    Alright, so heres what Im working on right now. Im questioning whether or not I should include a glass part. It would cover the pink "glowing" area.
  • Doughnut Bear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    basecb.jpg

base colors on the high soeed hardtop 2.0
  • NuggetWarmer
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid wrote: »
    1CE5E650D530DABA4412E443804B60507039FBD3

The Costanza Complex
    The jerk store called - they're running out of you!

Click to upvote and all that.

Dude, you need to get cracking on your next pieces. Kramer hair for the sniper, Jerry hair for the medic, Elaine hair for the pyro, and Newman (....Newman!) hair for the engi, and then, remake an entire episode of Seinfield. I didn't really much care for the show originally, but I'd watch this version of it.
  • Harry64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry64 polycounter lvl 5
    I have now tryed to make multible textures for my model but what ever I do I cant get it work.
    please help me I dont want to waste more time with that...

I model everything with Blender and use GUIStudioMDL.
    In blender I created a hat with jiggle bones.
    after long long hours I finally managed to get the hat to the head and the jiggle bones to work but the texture is something I never thougt it would be impossible for me to fix.

so in blender I made a texture on the model and the same on the lod models. the texture .tga was called "magic_hat"

now in the .qc file I wrote this:

$cdmaterials "models\player\items\medic\0x0155e887\Magic Hat"
    $texturegroup "skins"
    {
    { "magic_hat" }
    { "magic_hat_red" }
    { "magic_hat_blue" }
    }

now it shows me in source model viewer that it has loaded the 3 vmt's and I be able to change the skins with the button... but it shows always the "magic_hat" texture. 1 and 2 and 3 looks the same. if I change the magic_hat.vmt so that the vtf is one of the other textures it only shows that one. I have no Idea anymore what I could try so that the textures are changeable. please help.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    So yeah changed my items a bit. Still not sure if it's got the right stuff but I will be subbing them this week sometime. Shame I can't make a custom animation to fix the clipping. No idea if I could make a digital readout for ammo on the black space either.

Proto1.pngProto2.png
  • M-NINJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all, RetroMike that is beautiful.
    Anyways, my HLMV appears to be broken. In the image below I have a model that I just finished making along with the engineer as examples. Every model that I load has this problem; all black textures and no lighting. If anyone knows what to do or knows of another program that I could use, that would be very much appreciated.
    Zna1p.png
  • Too Many Bees!
    Harry64:

HLMV doesn't switch textures correctly. You have to check it in game. Also, you don't need three textures, only two. The default texture should be red colored, the second should be blue.
  • mexican cowboy
  • Harry64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @too many bees:
    Do you mean it cant change the texture from self compiled models or do you mean that generally for every model?
    I can change the texture from valve models with no problems. Like the medic or scout every texture is switchable for me... Thats why i wonder....
  • Too Many Bees!
    Harry64: Yes, only for custom models, I don't know why. But the game has no such problem.
  • dak1ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you guys are awesome modelers XD
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really feel like I should make new animations for the Scout energy weapon to fix the clipping issue. However I know Valve doesn't currently accept animations and I also have no idea how to create or implement them.

Any suggestions from you guys? If you think it would be worth making new anims do you know of any good tutorials on the process and character rigs?

Thanks
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Retromike: If it was me, I'd spend more time getting the models the best you can. I don't know if your textures are WIP, but it looks that way. Just too much flat color, I wish there were more reflective parts on the helmet, maybe some buttons or lights or chrome trim on the other parts. Just more detail to bring out its character.
  • Harry64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Too Many Bees!:
    thanks for the help ^^ now I can really begin to create stuff for tf2.
    here is what I created ( my first model for tf2 )
    The textures are not final!
    magichattest.jpg

its the first step of what I want to create. I want to create a new medic style.
    I call it "Alchemagic Medic".
    I have big plans for this ^^.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Asdf_xuiop

Thanks much for the feedback. I'm kind of hesitant to add anything else to the model or texture for fear that it will kill the look I'm going for. I wanted to do something sci-fi while keeping it close to the time period of the game. Since the typical "USA space boy" thing has been done I went with "anime robot boy" instead. I'll show you the texture [scaled down abit] and some of my reference to get the idea.

Gun and Helmet textures. Pretty simple stuff.
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/textex.png

My reference and model. older anime and manga has very simple designs and color schemes. [when in color]
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/protoref.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/Proto2.png
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike: I get the reference, I'm a megaman fan. Just not sure it needs to emulate simple shading and all that. The model has a from the future kind of vibe and I think you can play that up while still getting the homage across. But if you want to keep it simple, I'd say get rid of the scruff marks and make it clean while accentuating detail more in some areas, like the white parts.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    soo... i'm trying to finally use the item test submission thing and it seems that its not identifying the bones I've put in my smd. Works fine if I do it the old school way of manually compiling and all that jazz. but using item test it compiles out a mesh with only one.. unnamed bone instead of 3 weapon_bones.

am I doing something wrong?? just trying to follow valves suggested way of submission.
  • EArkham
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    My workflow is:

1) Make the mesh & texture
    2) Compile it in itemtest to get the folder hierarchy and zip organization
    3) Envelope/skin/bone/etc
    4) Compile it with a proper QC and replace the garbage itemtest created :P

Pretty sure others do it similar. Itemtest just isn't set up for anything other than a basic, no-jigglebones hat for the bip_head bone. If you want to make a misc or make use of jigglebones, you have to recompile.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ahh ok.. duh. didn't think about that. ya just noticed the qc file is pretty bare. thanks!