Home General Discussion

what languages do you know?

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, I'm really suprised how many people are multilingual. :)
    I used to be a cook, so I ended up learning Spanish from the dishwashers and other cooks, I spoke a very rough very dirty version of Spanish, and then forgot it after a few years. :(
    I married a Russian girl, learned quite a bit of Russian, then forgot after a few years. :( Can kind of read it still.
    Trying to learn japanese, that language tends to have more cool things in their culture. :)
  • John Crean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Native: English
    Secondary: learning Japanese
    Other: Some basic spanish
  • Lombos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lombos polycounter lvl 6
    Native : English
    Secondary : American English
    Others : Ebonics
    L33t sP34k
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    English,Spanish and on the way to Danish.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    http://www.memrise.com/ has been a favorite of mine for increasing vocab, in certain languages.

Wow, that link was fantastic!
    I thank you for sharing that :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Has anyone here used http://duolingo.com ? Do you like it?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Native : Spanish
    Secondary : English.

Also starting with japanese ^^
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    http://www.memrise.com/ has been a favorite of mine for increasing vocab, in certain languages.

Indeed great! How did I manage to miss that? Still trying to improve my Hebrew. Love the Yiddish lessons too, even though I'd have to travel around half of the globe to meet some speakers I guess... and it might be quite useless too. There's probably more Klingon speakers.
  • Endzeit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endzeit polycounter lvl 10
    Native: German
    Secondary: English and French
    And some words in finnish ^^
  • Kyuuu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    French (Native)
    English (Fluent)
    Spanish (I studied it for 5 years so I can read Spanish pretty well but since it's been a long time I haven't practiced, I'm not sure if I can speak it.)
    German (I can understand the language and I can speak as long as it's very basic German but since I never really learned it I can't say I'm very good with it.)
    Japanese (I understand it pretty well but I can't speak it. I can read hiragana, katakana and some Kanji)
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fully fluent in English and French

Trying to learn the Russian alphabet, struggling to learn how to write it.

Interesting thread topic. Living here in Canada I'm exposed to a lot of cultures and nationalities but I don't hear them as so much see them.

I only glanced at the thread and it seems, aside from English, east European languages seem pretty popular.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Wow memrise is awesome! I'm currently upping my Italian skills as well as starting to learn some latin :).
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I speak English, French and Italian.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Relevant: http://www.athensnews.gr/issue/13383/21545

thirty, fucking, two, languages

(not me, I only know 3 and a half)
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Native: Russian, Lithuanian
    Second: English
    Learned: Latin, Conversational French
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Love the Yiddish lessons too, even though I'd have to travel around half of the globe to meet some speakers I guess... and it might be quite useless too. There's probably more Klingon speakers.

Hah I agree.. as a native German speaker, Yiddish has always been interesting to me.. a lot of words are still in use over here to this day.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    slovak, czech, english
    partly: polish, french
    excelent: javascript, maxscript, c# :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Indeed great! How did I manage to miss that? Still trying to improve my Hebrew. Love the Yiddish lessons too, even though I'd have to travel around half of the globe to meet some speakers I guess... and it might be quite useless too. There's probably more Klingon speakers.

Where are you in the world?

The LA area has quite a bit of speakers for both those languages, as well as Ladino. My family is all native in either Hebrew, Ladino or Yiddish, as well as lots of other members of the community here.

It's just that the Jewish communities where these languages are spoken are pretty closed-off, almost Amish style.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    English, Spanish, some French and Italian.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Where are you in the world?

China ;) And yeah, I know, why am I not leaning Chinese? I just gave up on this - can't stand the TV nor most of the music and the language just doesn't do anything for me and pronunciation just puts a knot in my tongue. Plus I want to be able to read stuff, like newspapers eventually (and even then I wouldn't read the Communist Party drivel in the official papers)
    Now Hebrew does all things right for me, I can pronounce all the stuff, even the chet character, I like listening to Israeli music and I'm pretty sure there's some good literature available too.

Yiddish is more interesting because a big part of it comes from German and then it's all put in Hebrew characters. I heard there's a more polish/russian Yiddish too though. What's fun is trying to understand the Yiddish Wikipedia hehe

But I guess this undertaking has to wait. I don't really see any good way to learn this here other than with the books and audio courses I have with me.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive gotten D's in French, German, and Latin.
    Spent 2 years trying to teach myself Czech, dabbled in Russian, and Polish.
    Then proceeded ace linguistics.

Fun Fact: I've only sent out a job application to a game studio on one occasion, and I wrote 2/3rds of it in Czech. Probably looked like gibberish, and no, I didn't get the job.
    Nice enough reply though, so I figure I was at least able to communicate something like "Me. Work for You. Yes?"
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Good English and Bad English.
    Spanish, took French in JHS, don't remember jack of It.

Wish I knew more, honestly.. Dads studying mandarin, might learn It too.