Home Technical Talk

alt + mmb pan in 3ds max bug

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
alright so i just downloaded the trial of 3ds max 2011, and im getting a weird bug with alt + middle mouse button to pan.
first i press down MMB to move around the viewport, then when i press alt because i want to pan, it kind of cancels my MMB hold-down and acts as if i had just pressed alt alone (it selects the edit dropdown menu on the top)

this pretty much destroys my workflow.. cant work like this.

previously ive used 3ds max 9, where alt + mmb pan works flawlessly, but thats a bit outdated tech so itd be nice to upgrade.

any help would be VERY appreciated

Replies

• Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
  • Mark Dygert
    I think you're confusing pan and rotate? Holding alt+MMB should arc rotate around the object. MMB should pan.

Maybe you just need to set your arc rotate to another mode? I think the default switched at some point between 9 and 2010. It's down in the lower right next to maximize viewport toggle and footstep mode, I presonally like it set to "orbit subobject".

If that isn't the case something is probably screwed up with either your UI settings, or something is running in the background causing a conflict. Mouse software, tablet drivers other apps, I really can't say for sure. But middle mouse button pan works fine for me.

If I hold MMB it pans. If I hold MMB and press alt it rotates. If I keep pressing MMB and toggle alt it jumps between pan and rotate as expected.

Either way holding alt shouldn't ever pop open the edit menu... that's just crazy. The only way to do that would be to press Alt-E and unless you have giant cured hams for hands I don't see how you can accidentally do that?
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Are you running Max in a second monitor? Did you install the latest service pack?

I've had problems using specialized keyboard and mouse drivers. Now I just use the generic USB mouse and keyboard drivers. Maybe you can try that as well.
  • Olli.
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yes i mixed pan with rotate.. the bottom line still is that rotating is bugging.

and the bug doesnt actually open the edit menu.. it just does what it does when you press alt WITHOUT holding MMB (the first letter gets underlined)
  • cdsavage
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you find a solution to this? Im having this problem with Max 2012.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i'm having this problem with max 2012 as well, jumping from max 8. it's extremely annoying..

max 8: hold down MMB to pan, hold down alt+mmb, rotate view.
    max 2012 x64: hold down MMB to pan, hold down alt+mmb cancels pan.
    press mbb again to rotate.
    extremely annoying..
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    ive logged this issue for 2014, just a heads up. I found it a few days ago super annoying if you use maya shortcuts
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Do you have the latest product update? Are your mouse and keyboard in the same usb hub? I don't have this behavior in Max 2012.
  • PHrag
    Bumpity bump.
    This year I learnt some 3ds basics in school and kinda liked it so I wanted to try it at home. In school we had 2010 version and you could pan with MMB, then press alt and viewport would immediately rotate. However I just downloaded my 3ds max 2012 student, installed SP 2 and product update 12. Found out I experience the same bug described in OP. Pan with MMB, press alt and it cancels the MMB and little minus sign appears on my cursor (subtract from selection?). Thank you for any tips.

By the way hello Polycount!
  • HausFly
    Offline / Send Message
    HausFly polycounter lvl 17
    I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 and started encountering this issue while panning/rotating in Max 2014. I found it had something to do with the mouse drivers installed with Microsoft mice. I tried out a couple different Microsoft mice and driver settings, but the problem remained. I then tried out a Dell, Logitech, and Inland mouse and the problem didn't occur with any of these options.