Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Does 3DO not read normal +/- Y from DDO project?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
CKohl polycounter lvl 10
I'm working on a DDO project using the UDK calibration, so the normal map's Y is inverted. I feed the DDO project a +Y normal map from xnormal and NDO, and it does invert it. However when I preview my project in 3DO I've noticed that the previewer seems to be expecting a +Y normal map instead of -Y because the normals render wrong. Is this intended behavior? (Suite preview 1.7c)

th_3DONormal.jpg

Replies

• SpaceJunkee
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but shouldn't you change the Y swizzle in XNormal to Y- in the settings prior to baking? That way when you tell DDO to use Y- it won't be flipping your map. I think I remember seeing this somewhere but cannot recall, I'd like to know for sure as well.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    From the DDO input maps wiki:
    The expected format is: +X, +Y, +Z.

So yeah, unless there's an undocumented step for -Y projects, I'm doing what it's asking me to do as far as I can tell.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Anybody? Bueller? Still happens with 1.7 release.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Hi!

DDO expects y+, and with export with the UDK profile it will be y- automatic!

Only if your import map is y- in to DDO should you use flip Y.

Hope this clears it up a bit :D
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    DDO expects y+, and with export with the UDK profile it will be y- automatic!

Hi Eric. That's what I'm doing. I give DDO a y+ normal map in the base creator and select the UDK Calibration Profile. Everything works correctly in DDO but then 3DO doesn't appear to read that the project is using a flipped Y for the UDK profile. It looks like 3DO is still expecting a y+ map even though DDO flips it for the project.

-edit- Actually now I'm even more confused. If I select the UDK calibration during project creation, it automatically checks the "Flip Y" option in the creator. Is that a bug?

Or alternatively is the flipping only supposed to happen during Export from DDO?
  • teddybergsman
    Sorry CKohl for all the confusion! A while back it was widely requested that since most people working with UDK always work in the -Y format, normals should be flipped to the DDO standard automatically by default when selecting the UDK preset. So if your map is already Y+ it will get improperly inverted to Y- on import, and improperly inverted to Y+ on export. What a mess!

So yes, make sure the Flip Y option is unchecked if you are using Y+ normals as input. Sorry for the confusion. It would probably be best if there is an option for turning off auto-flipping to make this behavior much less irritating for those who do not need it.

I hope this is finally cleared up! Sorry again for the confusion.

- Teddy
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    I agree that's a bit of a pickle you've got yourselves in, thanks, you guys are super helpful. :)