Home Quixel Megascans

ANSWERED: has official support been suspended?

akaChris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
akaChris polycounter lvl 6
I was just wondering with the lack of feedback from any officials - has support for quixel products been suspended?

Show-stopping bugs and no support are a very bad combo imho. A certain level of reliability from both software and support would be appreciated in order to retain customer satisfaction.

I really love the concept of the quixel suite and am really thrilled about the prospect of megascans but the track record in reliability is pushing me away bit by bit.

With the time already invested it really pains me having been forced getting into substance designer as a fallback because I really really like the smart materials/megascan concept and the results it can produce a lot more compared to the time consuming material creation in substance designer.

Replies

• endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    I was thinking the same but thankfully i don't have really workflow broking problems like others have. Probably they are preparing for megascans announcement and don't have enough time to look forums. I think it's better to be patient and wait for megascans announcement on december 10. Actually i'm more excited for it then better quixel support.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi!

We apologize greatly for the lack of activity lately!

Support has absolutetly not been suspended, we are working around the clock to bring you new cool stuff an infortunately we haven´t been so good in comunicating this, we read these boards frequently to collect bugs/feature requests!

We will try to do better, sorry. Thank you for your support!
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Eric! Thanks for the reply. I know that cool new stuff is what a lot of people want. but at the same time people also want the cool stuff they have to work reliably (maybe wanting both is a bit unfair given the manpower you might have at your disposal but that should be a matter of priorities). Currently with ddo the entire batch/preset pipeline is seriously broken which is something that greatly reduces the value of the product for people like me who are not working on just a single asset at the time but are trying to build a pipeline based on the promises of what ddo actually should be supposed to do.

I`m always thrilled about the prospect of what Quixel puts out and I absolutely love the idea of the products and how they in my opinion revolutionize some stale old workflows...

...but at the same time I`m getting more and more scared of the possibility that these products might never get to a production ready state because quixel might tend to focus on cool new stuff instead. The shift to the super awesome megascans seems to underline that theory from the outside perspective.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris i fully understand your concerns! We are constantly trying to find the balance between support and development, the release of Megascans for instance have been in the works for many years has required a huge amount of work.

We really don´t want you to fear that the tools will never be production ready, the fact that our team is quite small might have it disadvantages, but also enables us to have incredibly quick turn around times as demonstrated by the updates for DDO from release to 1.8. But more focus will be given to stability and make sure all the current functions work as intended in the future.

All our tools are worked on tirelessly more or less every day (and usually night) and the development and improvements are made possibile thanks to this forum and all your fantastic feedback. I really hope we can prove ourselves with future releases and put your fears to a rest!
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey akaChris,

Sorry about the silence on my end for the past 1 week. It's been an abnormally heavy time, hence the lack of forum replies on my end. I am honestly really sorry for the frustration and that you have felt neglected during this time.

I want you to know though that development on the SUITE has not slowed down at all, quite the contrary. In fact the next release will be quite all encompassing.

All bugs and requests are being relayed to me even when I don't get the chance to be in the forums myself, and I wanted to give you a little update on what is currently in development (besides getting Megascans ready, as you have noted :)):

- Fixing Color ID mismatching
    - New (more flexible) Color ID editing system
    - Extended Calibration Profile fixes & support
    - Fixing support for using 8K-16K in Cross-App mode
    - Texture Rotation (finally...)
    - All materials updated with the latest Megascans data, and a few new extra additions
    - Real-time 3D Painting in 3DO
    - Real-time and automatic baking in 3DO (Curvature, AO, Gradient, Color ID, Object Space Normal from highpoly or lowpoly or geo + normals)

I have an enormous sense of admiration and responsibility for every artist and studio using this suite of tools, for better and for worse. Every bug and kink literally keeps me up at night and I profoundly understand the soul-eating frustration of broken workflows. It is what I dedicate my life to after all, and every kink is a huge failure that needs to be mended ASAP.

Please feel safe in that I am tirelessly pushing out releases until the SUITE is 100% solid and fulfills the needs of our ever evolving industry. I'm never going to abandon the needs of everyone relying on the suite. I'd be damned if I do.

It is true that I spend a lot of time to push for new things, but you should know this never takes precedence over fixing existing issues. I simply add it on top of everything else, hence the occasional lack of forum activity and sleep.

All the best,
    - Teddy
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Teddy,

thank you very much for your reassuring words! You really have a talent for boosting the spirit after a really bad week of fear about having to throw my pipeline out the window.

The 1.9 announcement sounds pretty amazing and I really love being proven wrong about this. especially since I have to admit that I built a pipeline that has the use of quixel tools at the core of it, skipping all traditional texturing to be able to churn out more assets instead. also working on arch vis projects with vray from time to time I`m extra delighted about everything coming in that direction as well.

As I told Eric, next time I`ll hold my breath for a little longer before ranting. sorry about that! given the 1.9 announcement and Erics forum-answering spree it was just bad timing I guess :)

btw I am, as are many others surely, deeply in your debt as your tools allow industry drop-outs like me to try and compete on a much higher level than I ever could have hoped for. Thank you very much for that!

cheers,
    Chris