Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Illustration

[Riot art contest] Beyond the screen

Replies

• burninator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Color WIP 1!

coloredwip1_by_hayuko-d86pgai.jpg

Thank you so much for the comments! *_* I will keep coloring this, tho I'm not really sure I like how this is looking xD
  • Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyerzz polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, it might just be my bias but didn't really see this as a night scene. But I guess to try and keep the character in a similar colour range its not a bad choice. I would suggest having the lights from the person's computer be colourful to give it some dynamic lighting.

Like so maxresdefault.jpg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyerzz wrote: »
    Hey, it might just be my bias but didn't really see this as a night scene. But I guess to try and keep the character in a similar colour range its not a bad choice. I would suggest having the lights from the person's computer be colourful to give it some dynamic lighting.

Like so maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, I decided to solve this as a night scene mostly because of the time I have left to finish this xD And yeah, the color range was armonized by doing this too.

The color of the computer was white because I wasn't sure how to make it attractive, but I'll use your advice, I'm sure it will look better adding some more lighting on the computer's part ^^ Thank you very very much!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I must say: God bless Skyerzz's soul because the color improved a lot adding the new lights.

riot_contest_color_wip_2_by_hayuko-d86x6oy.jpg

I think there's a main focus on the screen and that will help when "reading" the image ^^

Thank you so much everyone for the comments, tips and support! ^0^
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
  • Veneration
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting/color is looking solid; keep it up. Will you be keeping the monitor screen white?
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veneration wrote: »
    The lighting/color is looking solid; keep it up. Will you be keeping the monitor screen white?

Well, I'm still not sure what to do with the white screen. I think I shouldn't add too much detail on it because there's already tons of deatils on the rest of the drawing. So... I'm still thinking xD But I'm considering it for now as a way to balance the "horror vacui" of the character's compotiton.
    But I'm open to suggestions! ^^

Leaving another WIP of the coloring! ^^

riot_contest_color_wip_3_by_hayuko-d87lp2p.jpg

Step by step, it's being a quite hard work but with all the support, comments and critics it's comming out quite nice!
    Thank you so much, I'll keep doing my best and try to finish this on time doing a decent work xD

As always, critics and suggestions are always welcome!
  • PapangJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG! that's super awesome dude. two thumbs up
  • yakonusuke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yakonusuke polycounter lvl 2
    Cool idea and nice drawings with a lot of action! Good job on that so far!

But you should have solved the monitor issue right from the start before you spent so much time on the little details. At the moment the bright white is no good idea for your background. The contrast you get is very distracting and puts too much emphasis on this part of the composition, while you probably want more attention on the characters around it. Also the square makes the composition too static, when you actually try to make a dynamic and fun scene.
    I can suggest one solution to these problems: Show the screen in a very flat angle and put a lol map on it (just to have no pure white), but so it would only hardly be recognizeable through the angle. Let then the light from the screen lighten the main action in front of a darker background. This should help to get the focus to the important stuff.
  • LiberLibelula
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this so much! Though Yakonusuke's idea (the lol map in a desaturated tone) is a good way to focus the spotlight on all your characters and not the glowing white of the monitor :)
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I don't think I understood all that Yakonusuke said (meaning I don't know it you are suggesting to redraw the screen or just changing the white light on it)
    But I was doing some test adding the Summoner's Rift, but the problem is that I have to make it very very very soft to make it look good :/ So it's no longer pure white light, but not sure if it's still too bright.

Anyway, I kept coloring the characters and I will soon start with the background and maybe I will see how many details I can add to the screen ^^

riot_contest_color_wip_4_by_hayuko-d87tx8o.jpg

Again, thank you so much for your comments, supports and critics! They are helping me a lot!
    And let's see if I can fix the screen issue! ^^ Thanks for the patience!
  • Jelligeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jelligeth polycounter lvl 3
    The Howling Abyss matches your color scheme :P
    Screenshot probably isn't ideal but at maybe a darker screen might help?
  • Skyerzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skyerzz polycounter lvl 5
    Hey, Good progress on this, I really hope you get it done. I'm also happy that you find my comments helpful. So about this screen stuff. I agree that it needs to be altered from a plan white rectangle. I think adding a glow to soften the hard edges of the screen is one place to start. Added some magical wisps coming outta the screen will help break the rectangle shape as well. Play up the ripples from the two characters coming out of the screen to distort whatever you put on the screen so ppl don't play much attention to whats on there.

I was thinking about what to do about the image for the screen. So I went the LoL youtube page to see is there where anything nice you could get to put there. And I came to this video " Warriors - 2014 World Championship"
    If you study the style of this video, colour, saturation, and lighting, it will help make this entry nice and strong. LIGHT up that keyboard and mouse. Add in some dark values right now you are playing around with muddy values. I think you can start saying this area is gonna be dark and make it dark, or this area is going to be affected be this light source.

For what to put on the screen, I think using the match loading screen where it shows, which characters are loading into the map (go to 23secs in the video) would be good/make sense, even though you have more characters than there can be in a match.

This is a really labor intensive piece and when the deadline comes around submit what you have, and continue to polish it if needed just for yourself.
  • jun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jun
    Haha, this is really cool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I tried to fix the drawing following your advices! All the characters are done and I also add more lights and shadows. I just need to keep adding details, fix things and add some effects (and fix Heimer's light, he just look too bright now)

riot_contest_color_wip_5_by_hayuko-d88b3vo.jpg

Following Skyerzz's advice, I added the load screen, but I couldn't justify the white light on the characters. So thinking of what he said, I thought it will look better with this screen. Anyway, the one I used was just a random screenshot I found, just to see how it looks (and I like how it looks xD) But my idea is taking a better one and make Riven and Sion come out of their avatar. Also, the characters' avatars outside the screen will be lit off and the other ones will be lit on.
    I also tried to break the rectangle shape with Kayle's wings, the flowers, making the corners softer... etc

Thank you so much for your comments and support! I think it's improving with all the advices you are giving me ^^
    Critics are always welcome!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I'm almost done with this, I only need to fix some details ^0^

riot_contest_color_wip_6_by_hayuko-d897xsp.jpg

I'm not totally happy with the final version, but I don't really know what more to add or what to fix so, well... xD At least I learnt a lot doing all this color and I think what is very important ^^
    Thank you for all your support and kind words!
  • silveraxe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are really fun sketches! :D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! So I've sent the final illustration!
    Just wanted to thank all of you for your words, support, tips and specially to Skyerzz for his wonderful help ^^

Here it is the whole process:

da_by_hayuko-d89jspl.jpg

Thank you again!