Home Technical Talk

Max Smoothing groups vrs Maya Hard Edges

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
So I have been out of the 3ds Max game for a while due to using Maya at work and now that I am getting back into Max with some personal projects I have run into a snag.

In Maya you can smooth an object and harden specific edges. In Max you assign entire faces to be smooth and separate things by different smoothing groups.

The problem I am running into is if i want to harden just 1 edge on a mesh in Max, that seems impossible. Since everything is done by faces, if I want something to have a hard edge it has to have a different smoothing group, and that is applied to an entire face.

Anyone know how to harden just a single edge in Max? I cant imagine at all that this is impossible.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    give the entire mesh two smoothing groups (1 and 2)...
    and the two faces sharing the hard edge just one smoothing group (1 or 2)...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    passerby wrote: »
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/edgesmooth

emulates the way maya does smoothing in max.

This generates really shitty smoothing groups that causes issues with pipelines that export smoothing groups.

It's really easy to just assign 2 smoothing groups the a selection of polies and then pull one group off of each face on either side of the split.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    This generates really shitty smoothing groups that causes issues with pipelines that export smoothing groups.

It's really easy to just assign 2 smoothing groups the a selection of polies and then pull one group off of each face on either side of the split.

It dose? thats a shame because it looks awesome :/

And thanks for the tips guys, tried it out and the 2 smoothing group thing works. Sure eats up a lot of time and effort though compared to the way maya dose things. But I guess thats the price you pay for having saveable smoothing group selections.
  • Adij
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adij polycounter lvl 8
    in edit poly u can give edge "1.0 crease" - for turbosmoothing it gives "hard" edge result
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya im with you autocon i really dislike the max way of doing smoohting, and for basic environment stuff i never had too much issue with that script.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Coming from Softimage/XSI, it took me a little while to adjust as well - and I've always wondered why you'd assign a face to two smoothing groups, so cheers for clearing that up oglu! ;-)
  • Adrian Pieroni
    Well, finding this thread has clarified the same issue for me that the OP asked about, just not in the way I was hoping for...

3DS Max has some serious shortcomings in the common sense department compared to Maya. I seriously feel like Autodesk has deliberately convoluted the workflow process with many functions and actions in Max, solely for the sake of differentiating the two products, at the expense of practicality.

Just a humble opinion from someone with a Maya background.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "3DS Max has some serious shortcomings in the common sense department compared to Maya. I seriously feel like Autodesk has deliberately convoluted the workflow process with many functions and actions in Max, solely for the sake of differentiating the two products, at the expense of practicality.
    "

I love the way that maya handles hard edges,its great for baking . but smoothing groups are awesome to HP modeling prototype , just select the faces, give diff smoothing groups, apply a meshsmooth set to smoothing groups and tadaa you have a blockout that you can edit in realtime that will hold well once smoothed again. I cant honestly think of a better and faster way than doing this in any program i tried.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feel like Autodesk has deliberately convoluted the workflow process with many functions and actions in Max, solely for the sake of differentiating the two products, at the expense of practicality.

The difference predates Autodesk's acquisition of Maya. Smoothing groups even predate 3ds Max, it was used in the DOS predecessor 3D Studio.