Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Paskie
    Grats to the winners! Well deserved!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Tvidotto I live in Australia and it's been a whole annoyance trying to get my ITIN, sending off things to the IRIS and waiting weeks for them to respond. I guess if there's any plus side to Brazil not being a part of the tax treaty with the US is that you don't have to worry about all that paperwork.

Anuxi You've gone and made another pretty hero even prettier! I showed it to my girlfriend who loves Lina and she flipped out, haha. Can't wait to see it in-game :D! Congrats again on getting all of your sets into the game, especially the winning entries.

Andyk125 I'm loving the theme you've got going, Gondar is such a fun hero to design for. The shuriken and armour look awesome as does the head-piece although it might be a bit too similar to this item from Vlad but the flowing scarf is really cool.

With the blades, the details are really cool but I think you could push the silhouette a bit further to make them even better.

As for myself, I'm currently working on a set for Lion after taking a small break after my Polycount contest entry. It's inspired by Lion's trip to hell to dismember the demon who seduced him and what would have happened if he took more than just an arm back.
    g7dt6.png
    And the weapon;
    BU9R4.png
  • Paskie
    @Bronto. Glad to see more people working on items for Lion! Awesome direction with the tentacle!

I have only done some sketching on my idea which is some kind of powerglove with runes on it :D

2HvpG.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Wooo, I love Lion. Though I personally dislike the wings and the tentacle arm. I just think they look really weird on Lion.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Some Jerk wrote: »
    Wooo, I love Lion. Though I personally dislike the wings and the tentacle arm. I just think they look really weird on Lion.

I think the tentacle looks awesome!, but I think it looks to look a bit more deformed and corrupted. But the wings, I do not like those wings one bit. I think it's because they change up his silhouette to much, or just the overall chunky design.

Keep the Tentacle, do it, but do something else with the wings.
  • Caiser
    If I where to man Aghanim's Scepter cosmetic item for Rubick, should the color scheme be that of Rubick or Aghanim's ingame icon?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    omg, polycount ward!!!!
    Dota2_Ward_Polycount.jpg

valve i love you! =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    I've reworked the wings so that they match the silhouette a bit better and flipped the spikes horizontally.

I think I might add some spikes or other form of gross corruption to the tentacle, especially around the area where it connects to his arm, looking at the silhouette it's a bit bland compared to the default.

gnPGu.png
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Checking to see if anyone was interested on collabing on this Clinkz set concept.

charcoaldragonset_by_terrormokes-d5n9y6g.png
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Cool more lion pieces :) I was playing with one since the end of the contest just the weapon is posted at the moment.

dheads2.jpg

Still wish I knew how to make videos work on these awesome forums..
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Anuxinamoon/Bronto, Looking sharp!
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    @Bronto, thanks! I think teh scarf will be quitte different than the one from Vlad, but the idea might be the same. None the less, I hope mine will look much better :p

The tentacle and head piece looks great! But like the others allready mentioned I don't think the wings will work well with the character.

Started blocking out the basics for the weapons, they are almost ready for sculping.. Before I start, what doe you guys thing? I'm liking the blade connection from the original long blade maybe a bit more, so I might stick with that..

DECaY.jpg
  • Paskie
    Those weapons are looking awesome!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    @Bronto, thanks! I think teh scarf will be quitte different than the one from Vlad, but the idea might be the same. None the less, I hope mine will look much better :p

The tentacle and head piece looks great! But like the others allready mentioned I don't think the wings will work well with the character.

Started blocking out the basics for the weapons, they are almost ready for sculping.. Before I start, what doe you guys thing? I'm liking the blade connection from the original long blade maybe a bit more, so I might stick with that..

DECaY.jpg

nice weapons, really liked the idea of the top one on the right, but it appears too thin for the game

----

starting a new courier guys!

1AOyq

the idea is that it get older in the winged version, making a texture for both will be the problem =]

still needs to think about the bag
  • ArchoX
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I'm not talented when it comes to math but when i looked at this the 30% equates to an additional 7.5% off the top. Leaving you with 17.5% which your country of residence will then tax you on.

Thats pretty much true that you will need to pay something to your country too. Which sucks even more.
  • Hunter-Killer
    Offline / Send Message
    Hunter-Killer polycounter lvl 4
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    much better now =] looking forward for this

any question about couriers you can add me on steam

I'll be sure to pick your brain sometime down the line thanks! Congrats on getting your courier in game!

Pretty much finished the texturing and started to rig the model for animation. I've submitted to the workshop to get the masses opinion however will update when I have some moving parts to show!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113340244

cw_bot_01.jpg
    cw_bot_02.jpg
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Finished my set, thought I'd post here too ;)

Arcane Secrets

9E989B57EA0F025BE2BF80C291B46D60A0E47C10
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I totally dig that tinker bot courier man :D nice job!

In other news, I found the right thread to post this in T______T

Finally finished my Lina item set and uploaded it :3
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=113441692

dota2___lina_solar_divine_final_by_anuxinamoon-d5o5btx.jpg

Man there are some wacky things going on with her glossiness and spec values that maps just wont fix. Hopefully valve can fix it on their end :x I did post on their dotadev forums about it.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message

Man there are some wacky things going on with her glossiness and spec values that maps just wont fix. Hopefully valve can fix it on their end :x I did post on their dotadev forums about it.

and you didnt send the link to your issue on dota dev =]
  • Paskie
    The winner is up!
    http://blog.dota2.com/2012/12/polycount-winners-best-overall/

Well deserved! Grats!

Anuxi, awesome set as usual :D I have no problem with the bling bling around the neck. I think it's fitting.

Marul, i like that blue direction, good work.

Hunter-killer, crazy bot right there! Really digging it, makes me think of goblin workshops in WoW and that i s a good thing! Great stuff!

Tvidotto, really good idea with the courier! That baby dragon is gonna rock! Expecting greatness ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    and you didnt send the link to your issue on dota dev =]

Oh its in the lina subforum which can only be viewed by the devs and the original poster. Maybe that's the wrong place for it?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh its in the lina subforum which can only be viewed by the devs and the original poster. Maybe that's the wrong place for it?

i dont know, just wanted to know what was happening so i could try to help =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG, there is an ART FEEDBACK place there, why i didnt see that before???
  • Ex4000
    Congrats on the winners!

Great to see that also ppl that think out of the box, and don't keep everything in the same style can win! Naga Siren “Exile” is the perfect example, and then everybody here keeps pushing everyone that they can't use different texture colors etc.. Well it seems you can if you execute it well!

Started working on a concept for Bounty Hunter, going for a persian style. It's not finished, still need to figure out the back. After all those stupid sdk problems I needed to start something different, also my photshop file from zuus is screwed up and couldn't open it anymore (luckily I have an old backup), so that was the last drop it's going into the freezer for a week :s

hGw1d.jpg

Looks a lot like the prince of prince of Persia 2008, that might cause problems.
    nice weapons, really liked the idea of the top one on the right, but it appears too thin for the game

----

1AOyq

the idea is that it get older in the winged version, making a texture for both will be the problem =]

Maybe you could give the baby really small arms, that way he could be trying to hold the bag with his small arms, and he keeps fumbling with the bag when he walks trying to balance it etc,

Kinda like this picture
    nsWRM.jpg
  • TommyTehZombie
    My (blatantly) work in progress set for Clinkz with just flat color, though the bow is already in game.

BRg3Y.jpg

Need to get better at textures and uh..rendering, im still a noob to all this and have no idea how to pose, as Blender doesnt seem to want to import animations.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14

This looks even better in the in game shots, +1!

And interesting about the gloss and spec, im finding some pretty big inconsistency's from character to character. For example Tidehunter to Pudge felt like a completely different setup, probably time for me to document these observations and throw them up here
  • ArchoX
    My (blatantly) work in progress set for Clinkz with just flat color, though the bow is already in game.

Need to get better at textures and uh..rendering, im still a noob to all this and have no idea how to pose, as Blender doesnt seem to want to import animations.

I can help. I seriously need to get back to making some items.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto -- I think that courier concept is really great, there's a lot of couriers that morph, grow wings or get some sort of mechanical enhancement but a courier "growing up" is a cool, fresh idea!

One thing that seems odd is that his eye shrinks when he grows up, I know big eyes=cuteness but that's usually the result of a small creature having roughly the same sized eyes as its full-grown counterpart. Its wings also seem to change a lot, like, completely different bone-structure.

Regarding the bag; perhaps he could drag it along with his tail, carry it in his mouth or balance it on his head?

Keep up the good work :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message

----

Thanks, the sizes are exactly the same as the originals, but the smaller pieces look that way because of the turbosmooth modiefier, and it will be easier to bake the normal :p But the grip etc will be bigger in the low poly..

The dragon idea is brilliant, really love it! If you need help with anything ;)
    Ex4000 wrote: »
    Looks a lot like the prince of prince of Persia 2008, that might cause problems.

Kinda like this picture

Well only the scarf is something from Prince of persia concepts, and the rest isn't but the back of the scarf will be quitte different, so I don't think that will be a problem. The shoulder and leg armor are comletely my own concept as well as the blades, ofcourse iwth some reference..
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto -- I think that courier concept is really great, there's a lot of couriers that morph, grow wings or get some sort of mechanical enhancement but a courier "growing up" is a cool, fresh idea!

One thing that seems odd is that his eye shrinks when he grows up, I know big eyes=cuteness but that's usually the result of a small creature having roughly the same sized eyes as its full-grown counterpart. Its wings also seem to change a lot, like, completely different bone-structure.

Regarding the bag; perhaps he could drag it along with his tail, carry it in his mouth or balance it on his head?

Keep up the good work :)

awesome ideas Bronto

doesnt make any sense the eye shrinking
    ( i agree with you) but is to appear older, as i cant make it much bigger in game. im still figuring out how im going to do everything =]

the idea of it carring the bag on the tail is amazing! the mouth too but the baby roshan is soo well made that im trying to avoid any related ideas

for now im doing an middle version and im going to force it to the younger and older version, im my head it will work =]

also im mixing with an chameleon. Peter work on that beast master set called Curse of the Criptids amazed me (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107432), he made some awesome animal blends, im trying to get inspired by his work

1BxhR

with wings

1Bxiw

huge thanks to Danieden and Spacemonkey for their suggestions

btw, i started this mesh with zbrush´s dynamesh and those triangles are killing me, i will need to retopo and retun the low to zbrush..

--- last edit
    as it is a mix of a wyrm and a chameleon, the silly name could be wyrmeleon hahaha
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    maybe your next courier can carry stuff in its beak

-

now i'm trying to make stuff that isn't just an extruded spline.

hatchet_zps9aa5a8cf.jpg

just a paintover of the lowpoly right now. gonna try and sculpt it rather than using the normal map filter plugin thing.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome ideas Bronto

doesnt make any sense the eye shrinking
    ( i agree with you) but is to appear older, as i cant make it much bigger in game. im still figuring out how im going to do everything =]

the idea of it carring the bag on the tail is amazing! the mouth too but the baby roshan is soo well made that im trying to avoid any related ideas

for now im doing an middle version and im going to force it to the younger and older version, im my head it will work =]

also im mixing with an chameleon. Peter work on that beast master set called Curse of the Criptids amazed me (http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107432), he made some awesome animal blends, im trying to get inspired by his work

with wings

huge thanks to Danieden and Spacemonkey for their suggestions

btw, i started this mesh with zbrush´s dynamesh and those triangles are killing me, i will need to retopo and retun the low to zbrush..

--- last edit
    as it is a mix of a wyrm and a chameleon, the silly name could be wyrmeleon hahaha

To be honost I like your concepts a lot more, blending it with a chameleon just doesn't work for me. Also the big tongue and tail just makes it look silly, please stick more to the concept!

I've started working on the high poly version of my sword, still needs some work though..

xJBSN.jpg
  • eastblue
    maybe your next courier can carry stuff in its beak

That has been done with Greevil. A baby panda courier after that panda Lone Druid summon :D would be awesome
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    eastblue wrote: »
    That has been done with Greevil. A baby panda courier after that panda Lone Druid summon :D would be awesome

There is something weird with the panda, i was checking the update schema and there is more or less 14 sets of the contest in it (excluding the winners)
    The set with the panda is one of the but the panda is not included. I will wait the release of the sets
    If the panda will not be added we can try a courier with it :)
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished blocking out all the pieces for the Bounty Hunter set.
    Will work and finish the weapons first, but I think pieces will work pretty well together.

Crits or comments are always welcome!

823q8.jpg
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey guys, I've got a frustrating issue. I'm trying to scale an object to the correct scale, and in 3DSMax it looks correct, but in the importer it's too small. I don't want to have to mess around for hours trying to resize and reskin the item over and over again just to get it approximately the right size, so how do I get around this issue? My other item I'm working on imported with no issues whatsoever. Is it possible that extra bones could cause it?
  • 4evra
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Base wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've got a frustrating issue. I'm trying to scale an object to the correct scale, and in 3DSMax it looks correct, but in the importer it's too small. I don't want to have to mess around for hours trying to resize and reskin the item over and over again just to get it approximately the right size, so how do I get around this issue? My other item I'm working on imported with no issues whatsoever. Is it possible that extra bones could cause it?

Change to verts,selected them all,and then scale.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message

Change your system and view Untits in 3ds max! It's probably on Meters and you need to change the cm (if I still remember correctly)

All the other things won't work, because you probably allready imported the reference model in the wrong size, so do the following:

1. Start new document.
    2. Change your system and view Units.
    3. Import your reference model.
    4. Import your own model and resize it to the correct size
    5. export as .FBX

This should do the trick..

After seeing all those great couriers I wanted to think of one myself. One that would fit the persian style and Bounty hunter.. Still figuring out how I want to make the Flying version, was thinking of an different animal (Hunting Eagle) or something.. Here's the concept so far:

Yw6RR.jpg
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7

You don't need to try to scale the model, just reset XFORM and collapse all (look up if you don't know about resetting xform). It fixes most of the problems related to scale/position etc. If skinning the piece again will be an issue, look up using the "skin wrap" modifier, it saves a lot of time ;).

On the other news, I managed to get my full set in Dota 2 Test Client (thanks to the guys here ;))

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sIxlYeHI5k"]Dota2 Arcane Secrets set in game - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Change your system and view Untits in 3ds max! It's probably on Meters and you need to change the cm (if I still remember correctly)

All the other things won't work, because you probably allready imported the reference model in the wrong size, so do the following:

1. Start new document.
    5. export as .FBX

After seeing all those great couriers I wanted to think of one myself. One that would fit the persian style and Bounty hunter.. Still figuring out how I want to make the Flying version, was thinking of an different animal (Hunting Eagle) or something.. Here's the concept so far:

Yw6RR.jpg

nice idea of courier man

people didnt get too well that change on the na´vi courier, if you think in something related to the ground version probably will be better then and eagle
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    nice idea of courier man

people didnt get too well that change on the na´vi courier, if you think in something related to the ground version probably will be better then and eagle

Thanks! Hmm alldready was a bit affraid of that, but it's hard to come up with something original as a flying courier. Don't want to just add some wings like the donkey model, or some balloons.

Here's my first concept, a chest with mechanical wooden wings. I think this won't break the (toughness) of the courier too much and it keeps it in style with the rest. What do you guys think?

TOzxd.jpg
  • TommyTehZombie
    marul wrote: »
    You don't need to try to scale the model, just reset XFORM and collapse all (look up if you don't know about resetting xform). It fixes most of the problems related to scale/position etc. If skinning the piece again will be an issue, look up using the "skin wrap" modifier, it saves a lot of time ;).

On the other news, I managed to get my full set in Dota 2 Test Client (thanks to the guys here ;))

Dota2 Arcane Secrets set in game - YouTube

Set looks great, like how the cloth almost looks like silk.

Also, how did you manage to load the models in game like that? I must have missed it lol.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks! Hmm alldready was a bit affraid of that, but it's hard to come up with something original as a flying courier. Don't want to just add some wings like the donkey model, or some balloons.

Here's my first concept, a chest with mechanical wooden wings. I think this won't break the (toughness) of the courier too much and it keeps it in style with the rest. What do you guys think?

TOzxd.jpg

What about a were-bat? that hyena looks too much like a giant bat without wings.
    Set looks great, like how the cloth almost looks like silk.

Also, how did you manage to load the models in game like that? I must have missed it lol.

Check this mini tutorial here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1722851&postcount=2728
  • TommyTehZombie
    Sweet, thank you kindly!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hyena's are cool. But I'm distracted by the back pack too much :(

Maybe make the neck and head bigger?
  • aivanov
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I like the concept, but the Hyena looks straight-up realistic rather than following Dota's stylized art. The couriers lean even more towards cartoony than normal characters.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Hyena's are cool. But I'm distracted by the back pack too much :(

Maybe make the neck and head bigger?
    aivanov wrote: »
    I like the concept, but the Hyena looks straight-up realistic rather than following Dota's stylized art. The couriers lean even more towards cartoony than normal characters.

All valid comments, I will look into it. I might make the neck and head a bit bigger and more cartoony like this, although I don't like the head at all from this example so don't expect somthing like that :phttp://www.fallingpixel.com/products/37246/mains/000-3d-model-Hyena_01.jpg.jpg

And make the backpack less big, so the hyena will stand out more and has more character to it. I will probably also try out some more flying courier concepts.. but first off to bed now :p
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon

1. Start new document.
    5. export as .FBX

That did it! Thanks a ton. Also, is there any way to set up and preview Jigglebones in the itemtest or HLMV?
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I progressed through this entirely too slowly.
    mainimage720p.jpg
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    anuxinamoon - lina set came out awesome!
    tvidotto - cool idea for a courier!

Started back on my sandking set from the polycount contest. Still fiddling around with the idea in zbrush trying to nail down the look.

dota_sandking_3.jpg