Home General Discussion

Guidance on the right path

So I'm not totally new to 3D modeling, but I need a bit of advice as to going in the right direction. Recently I've discovered 3D sculpting and I'm liking it much more than the traditional polygon modeling process. My question is, should I continue to learn traditional modeling and have a good understanding of it before I move on to sculpting? Or is it ok just to jump into sculpting if that's my interest?

Here's some stuff I've done just to give you an idea of what I can/have done.

5UoAb.jpg
4OKhh.png
5GJ9X.jpg
6soKh.png

Sorry for the picture spam :s

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not learn both? They're not mutually exclusive.

It seems you like hard surface modeling, in which case subdivision surface modeling is your best bet, at least for the bulk of your work. A sculpting app can be used on top to add organic touches like dents, bent bits, etc.

But some people love using a sculpting app for hard-surface work, start to finish.

Best bet is to try it all out yourself, see what workflow fits you best.

Edit... there is no "right path".
  • casool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'd like to clarify what I meant. I was just under the impression that sculpting required a good foundation in traditional modeling. I personally want to do organic stuff and character creation. When I said 'path' I was just referring to either jumping into sculpting now or regular modeling now and sculpting down the line.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The order doesn't matter, in my experience and from studying others' workflows. You don't need traditional modeling skills to do good sculpting work. Although of course it doesn't hurt either.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    For making characters, I'd say having both skills is a very very good idea. You want good flow of topology on your characters. Especially on important areas like face, shoulders, and hands.