Home General Discussion

Too much time on 3D app?

Musetatron
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Musetatron polycounter lvl 8
I have a symptom of expecting real life to have auto-symmetry when interact with human e.g. when I give a massage to someone(non-sexual one:poly136:).
when I massge her left leg I think the right leg has already been done at the same time too(which ofcorse, It's not). Does anyone experience with this kind of phenomenon ? Same for Ctrl-Z .when I draw on paper and mess up, the first thing that come to my mind was to press Ctrl-Z instead of using an eraser.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Sure, I look at tiles in my bathroom and can't but notice that they aren't aligned. Just makes me want to snap them by vertices or something :)
  • WarrenM
    Sometimes I come across objects that look too soft and I scratch in extra edge loops with my pen knife.
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I see alpha channels on tree branches.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I get most annoyed when realising old batroom tiles or brickworks do not 'stick out' randomly in real life( like in video games)
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I get that feeling when I see two very very different materials touching each other at a boundry with absolutely no "transition" from one material to another at the adjacent areas.
    Makes real life feel like legos when you spend a lot of time making transitions in 3d.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    I get most annoyed when realising old batroom tiles or brickworks do not 'stick out' randomly in real life( like in video games)

haha ruz, so true. Over-designing tends to makes stuff look so awkwardly artistic when it's just .. a damn wall :)
  • Musetatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Musetatron polycounter lvl 8
    Shinigami wrote: »
    sometimes i try to turbosmooth my dick

Just realised "Turbosmooth" make a really good brand name for a lubricant product.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    But i suppose rollin, you have to add some excitement to your brick walls. reality can be rather dull:)
    but I say again I have never actually seen any brick walls stick out randomly. They are more likey just to crumble
    I have done a lot of house refurb of late so I am bit sick of looking at tiles etc
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I try to ctrl+Z after ejaculation, then re-do

Want to say copy and paste, but that might be too far
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    reality can be rather dull

I don't believe you. whenever I get a chance to go outside I just stare in awe at all the walls and floors around :poly124:

Thing is, people just learn those little tricks that allow them to spice things up and later they rely on them heavily since there's no time to think when you have to make 50 textures quickly.

The problem with that is, this can lead to mannerisms.
    When you're used to using only a few methods of adding visual interest it's easy to start to think that they are a necessity and everything will look bad without them.

I've seen one or two people who would launch zBrush and trim edges on goddamn everything, regardless of surface's properties. Or the habit of adding wear just because you can add it. (I'm totally guilty of doing that). Or the stone and brick textures with curvature/cavity map exaggerated so much that it looks cartoony.

Anyway, I encourage everyone who thinks that reality needs to be spiced up to go out and stare at every surface they see, maybe it'll turn out it's not that boring after all :)
  • apllana
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    It upsets me more than it should that I cannot turn on symmetry when shaving.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Sometimes i try to imagine the unsubdivided geometry when i look at a real object...

13 years ago, when i played morrowind for the first time, i looked at a local river and said "ahh the water in morrowind looks more realistic" :D
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    I seel bevels everywhere.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    I don't believe you. whenever I get a chance to go outside I just stare in awe at all the walls and floors around :poly124:

Thing is, people just learn those little tricks that allow them to spice things up and later they rely on them heavily since there's no time to think when you have to make 50 textures quickly.

The problem with that is, this can lead to mannerisms.
    When you're used to using only a few methods of adding visual interest it's easy to start to think that they are a necessity and everything will look bad without them.

I've seen one or two people who would launch zBrush and trim edges on goddamn everything, regardless of surface's properties. Or the habit of adding wear just because you can add it. (I'm totally guilty of doing that). Or the stone and brick textures with curvature/cavity map exaggerated so much that it looks cartoony.

Anyway, I encourage everyone who thinks that reality needs to be spiced up to go out and stare at every surface they see, maybe it'll turn out it's not that boring after all :)

+ freaking 1 !!

Especially when you're an animator. You try to analyze, dissassemble and contemplate every motion you see! Looking at people has never been so interesting since I started 3D.

I'm not so much into deep modeling but I still enjoy analysing how light in a room interacts with the objects, especially when the sun gets in and you can clearly see some nice radiosity!

Understanding the complex physics of our reality in the mean to ultimately twist it is what makes 3D fun.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Yeah, sometimes I see someone walking very odd, and I think that if I did an animation of that people would say it wasn't realistic.
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    It is seriously an illness.

Last year I remodel the bathroom with glasstiles, my dad helped me out. It was so.... crooked...

appenrently it was fine, it wasnt.... I took a week of vacation, ripped the whole wall off and remade everything by my self.

Instead of using glue concrete, I used crazyglue, the control is so much better. I used pieces of papers to have each tiles aligned 100% on the same X-Y-Z axis.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sometimes I look under trash cans to try and find Greentooth.
  • DEElekgolo
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I find comfort in power-of-two numbers outside of computer-related things.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    When I brush my teeth I sometimes want to press X.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    When i make a mistake let say while im making my lunch and drop a knife on the floor, i try to press ctrl-Z to fix it.
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    I always get closer to a surface to see when it get pixelated, it never does and it's more detailed xD, dam it reality.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I used get annoyed because there was no medical name for the back of the knee, but now I know its 'popliteal fossa' or knee pit.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    there's not enough bloom in the world to keep me happy
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Thankfully i am past the point of seing wireframes on everything.
    But early in my career this happened, a lot
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I see quads/ngons in sidewalk slabs.

180987861_6e2c3198e1.jpg
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    i forget most people aren't so familiar with 3d terms. I go around to friends and family saying I practice modelling at uni. They had a different kind of modelling in mind. lol.
  • The Rizzler
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I believe this is called the 'tetris effect'
    Bartalon wrote: »
    I see quads/ngons in sidewalk slabs.

I can't be the only one that tries to fix bad topology on pavements in my head
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    TomGT wrote: »
    i forget most people aren't so familiar with 3d terms. I go around to friends and family saying I practice modelling at uni. They had a different kind of modelling in mind. lol.

True, true.

Whenever I say I study 3D animation, they ask me'' what can you do with that'' or ''oh I have 3d tv at home, thats cool''...

Yet most of these people play video games and watch movies but they probably think it's all programming..
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    When I'm shaving, I definitely forget I'm not shaving with symmetry. Have to do it manually.

Somewhat related, if I know something is somewhere in my house, but can't find it, I get the instinct to google my house for that object. One day.
  • SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Not really 3D related but still important, I see 'flow' what I guess could easily be called pollygon flow. Been having that since I learning drawing, thats faaaaarrrrrr before ever opening up any 3D app.

Blond wrote: »
    True, true.

Whenever I say I study 3D animation, they ask me'' what can you do with that'' or ''oh I have 3d tv at home, thats cool''...

Yet most of these people play video games and watch movies but they probably think it's all programming..

Honestly I really question why this isn't common knowledge, its not that hard.

When I was in collage for 2D/3D animation just saying ' I follow animation' was a bad idea and I changed it to 'movie animation industry' pretty quick. I'v been asked what kind of a job like 'regular entertainment or clown, for kids parties you know ?'
    Yeah, I don't even ...
  • Finalhart
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone asked me one day "in what programming language this 3d models are made?"
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Real 3d artists type out obj's in vim.
  • DoctorSprocket
    I've had a better grasp on lighting information on objects I see on the real world it give a sense of volume when I see light in real life. Sort of like what I see light shining through a window or door, instead of seeing it as rays I see it as volumes.