Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Prison Environment Scene for Portfolio

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Azure_Dragon polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys just over the past few days i have been working on an prison environment scene for my portfolio. None of my current assets are textured to the art style i am aiming for as of yet.

Currently i have moved out of the blocking stage and started to add in modular asset pieces and collision. I have used UE4 materials to test the detail resolution of assets (test my uvw on detail in focal areas of the model). Iv come to a point where i want this environment piece to be playable and working.

So i have started to question the scale of the environment for play-ability. I have re-scaled the scene and wanted peoples opinion and thoughts. Critique is more then welcomed, and the more critique the better.

Ps.

I have gotten a few assets past the normal map stage and will be posting up the bakes after i adjust the scale. In my opinion i prefer the height of the second image but the width of the first.

Below are the two Images:

This is much more cramped up

HighresScreenshot00000_zps4kpw22yj.png

or

An much open environment which gives the player maneuverability

HighresScreenshot00006_zpszc9ihqxs.png

Finally the color scheme which one does people like the most. my eyes are falling for the 2nd image.

Replies

• Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another render where the width has pulled in by a tile size, and i have kept the height of the second image. I feel this has come off really well. once i get critique i will tweak it up more if needed. Next i will post up and tune some of the assets i have created.

Below is the image:

HighresScreenshot00000_zpsvrp6llb8.png

HighresScreenshot00001_zps0ee2a5sz.png
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm no reply's as of yet, still need to press forward :). Iv made some changes to the design of the metal panels around the cell, i will be uploading them later today when completed.

I have created a tillable wall texture which will fit between the cells. as shown the progress below

Metal-Wall-Panel-Between-Cells_zpsu6txr9re.jpg

Soon as i get the Cell piece finished i will upload a picture of the design i'm trying to achieve. The design of the panels was inspired by the game tetris. It gives a cool effect when tiled
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man! I agree with you on needing more space for playability. The second image is a step in the right direction but I almost feel like you may want to increase the space further. Another thing to be mindful of is UE4's dimensions. That may also be affecting your spacing if things aren't built with the correct units. Are you eyeballing it as you go or have you checked your scaling beforehand? The reason I ask is because the scene looks squashed vertically and some of your assets seem disproportionately large like the lighting fixtures. Maybe it's just me. I know you're currently working the textures so just keep in mind that these kinds of places see a lot of use so wear and tear is gonna be super important to sell the illusion. Good luck with everything! I'll stay tuned :)
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey theblueturtle_

Yeahh at the start i kinda did just eye ball it, but immediately fell into scaling issues (Thank god i posted early in the project because i needed a second opinion). But now i have measured the door size to the first person camera view so i have gotten a better example/idea on how big things are meant to be. In the picture the table closes to the camera comes waist height to the player. So the actual cell is horribly small.

I agree i need to add allot of wear and tear, my thought process behind this is creating a fairly clean version of the prison block, than start dirtying things up. I'm going with this approach because i really wanna tackle the color palette and asset placement correctly and experiment as much as possible. Then hit a final pass of extras.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redone The base Metal of the cell, i think this one works allot better and is much more interesting in shape and detail. Although the detail could be touched up much more but for now this is what it looks like with the cell and Tiled metal texture.

Untitled-1_zpsyjbkoien.jpg
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's Progress, Please Critique :)

I got a door done today and fixed Major scaling issues. The level flows much better in comparison to the old build. The Metal Cell Base has been touched up and just added a little bit of colour (Red represents the Zone of this area) Finally i can move onto objects in the cell and some game boards which are gonna be fun :)

No texture is finalized as of yet. i am still working on a clean finish of the level before i dirty it up. Allot of udk textures are still present, they are just placeholders

Below are some screenshots (sorry about quality, don't know how to do screenshots in the game mode (UE4)

Screenshotgreeny_zpshyjcaqec.jpg

HighresScreenshot00003_zpssynihsmm.png

HighresScreenshot00004_zpszxpvve5i.png

HighresScreenshot00002_zps9kf3tj2c.png
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't really have a chance to do some serious work today, kinda had a rest day. But of course i had to do a little something started an hour or so ago and manged to get another Material Done today. I haven't really put much effort into it, but i will rework this and play around with roughness values and rework the wires, to differentiate the scratch marks on the metal area. Oh and i have added a new room in the prison scene. Everything is just blocked out at the momeent.

Hello%20Fiberglass_zpscpjjq5tw.jpg
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it depends on your goals here. If you're looking for a playable level at the end then the current layouts are probably best. But if you're looking for a portfolio scene, I really liked that first shot. With some more props to round out the scene and a better lighting set up, that would be really compelling.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm, i still do have the level saved in a separate file. Once the assets are near completion i could possibly go back and fix it up for some screenshots for my portfolio. But that is the ultimate goal, Environment piece for my portfolio.

The idea of making the level playable was to learn a new engine and really excel my understanding of game design. My goal is to great a game but before i reach that goal i need to massively improve as an artist on a creative and technical stand point. Again their is the possibility of going back after completion and build upon the previous level, I guess something to think about :) thank for your advice.
  • Nick Holdorf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Holdorf polycounter lvl 3
    I love what you have going here not sure if it should be as bright as it is. Maybe a little more ware on the floor tiles like scuffs, chips, removed tiles. Same thing for the brick wall you have there. I feel like its a little too clean and smooth for bricks. My favorite of the materials is the metal panel. Great work keep it up! oh and adding to this... I went back and looked at the pictures some more but a small touch would be etching into the tables.
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    HighresScreenshot00003_zpssynihsmm.png

The direction of your wood on the door frame is wrong. The sideparts always go upwards because its cheaper to cut them in this direction. Otherwise you would need to cut a tree in half with a diagonal of 2.2m
  • Deathrey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathrey polycounter lvl 4
    I don't think that a wooden door would be used in a prison block like this. Should be metal IMO.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys first of thanks for the advice. i just wanted to clarify most of the texture work is unreal engine 4 starter content. The pictures above are basically representation materials on what's to come (which will be my own version off). I used unreal s just to add a colour scheme to the scene.

The Frame hasn't been textured yet i just got the frame modeled and tested it with the door and placed a udk material on top, that picture was mainly showcasing the door. Thank you for the advice on the woodwork thou, i will take note when creating the texture for future and current work.

Deathray, i have to agree with you 100% after doing some research i have come to the same conclusion, it also don't fit with the overall theme. Maybe was laziness to get quick content in the level. However, I will be making new doors that are commonly identical to what is seen in a cell block or my own version of it hmm cant wait to start on it :).
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have been having troubles at home lately, but now i'm back to do some more Environment work.

I've been going back and forth with this project and keep slowing down, so i went back to the drawing board and made a better plan based off what's already setup. So i did a Prison plan as shown below.

Prisonplan_zpsny1n7mnk.jpg

I haven't included the missions start and end point yet but i know exactly what and where ect....

Currently I have blocked out the rest of the level and pretty much Sorted out the scaling issues. So I've created an asset which will be located at the security area. I did this so i could measure out the security area. As shown below,

ss%202015-03-10%20at%2010.26.18_zpsvnaprfdz.jpg

ssss_zpsjnirv9mo.jpg

Now i can get serious,

I will be devoted on getting all assets completed for the prison area. Then ill think about the other areas. Fingers crossed this project will soon be picking up pace.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, just a little update on a mattress i am working on. Needed to get back into zbrush so i decided i was gonna do the bunk bed for the cells. Any advice on how to improve it would be great,

Matress%20Sculpt_zpstmnswsph.jpg
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Hey,
    good work so far! As for the mattress: I like most of the texture. However, the holes hook a bit "cut out". You might want to work on the fabric. I found some useful techniques in this sketchbook: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117436&page=3
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys little update, i thought i just post up what iv got so far so every one can see the little progress i am making. I'm almost done with the assets, got playing cards to make and and some trays for lunch.

Doing the vents and fan systems right now as i post. Anyhow below is the progress. I will be texturing Soon as this section is complete :). Thanks for the advice on the mattress i have redone the Mattress cuts and toned them down a little. I will post individual assets at a later date.

Killer-MC-Killer_zpsoaj800dl.jpg
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'm just curious... are those skylights in the middle of the ceiling?

If yes, you need to have some kind of sun light.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lighting i haven't touched upon yet, and they are windows. As u can see on the far back wall theirs an area that's not covered with geometry yet, that's the major reason why its lit up so drastically. It was a quick 5 min mock up after i learnt the miracle thing called grouping. I basically grouped the cells together and re positioned them. Also the plan changed a bit because having too security points so close together didn't make sense. so i kept it as a block, i will be filling that area up with BSP and vents pipes and etc. once modeled then ill fix that up again.

Later on today i should have the vents modeled and i don't like the roof shape, i wanna make it slightly more interesting.
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Good progress. Is this suppose to be a near future-ish prison?
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup my whole idea behind this was a Scifi/rundown prison. However i did want the prison to resemble a prison in current times.

But yh you spot on with near future-ish. Currently its really clean. because i haven't commit ed to the texture stage iv just got my assets passed the normal map stage thus far.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little progress made however the vents are finally added in. I will start texturing now :) and start learning about colour schemes and give a shot at lighting in unreal. below current progress

Main-None-blurry_zpszj1xg8ik.jpg

I still do feel the building structure needs to be slightly more interesting so i was thinking of adding in pillars and trims for the level. I will also finish of the stairs properly due to the side bars missing. I will start front this and texture it and move onto the next assets ect..
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vents been Textured :) just need to add dirt as a final Thing. (What DO people Think about this) Any Critique will be great

Vent1_zpsobq06fpd.jpg

Vent2_zpspkgwrmyd.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Your scene is really starting to come along! Definitely liking the direction that you're headed. I guess my comments would be that right now everything is looking very sterile and reflective and I'd think if it were a prison there would be more dirt, dust and grime everywhere. I have a feeling that is something that you were planning on adding later in the process but I figured I'd throw it in there. Also, the lights that you have in the scene are extremely bright and extremely yellow. I think it's a tad too much the way it is currently. Good luck finishing, I'll be sure to keep up with your updates!
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup thanks for the feedback i will adjust the lighting for my next screenshots. Yup i will dirty the place up. Just trying to learn PBR rendering at the moments and over this course iv learned so much :) and continue to learn aswell :).
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like i need to improve on my specular maps or should i say Roughness and create Metal maps for all the current objects textured and start adding dirt and grime ruffing it up.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PBR will make this look awesome! PBR is awesome :D Do it up! PBR on everything!
  • ValXVI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really digging the environment! Have you thought about vertex painting the dirt on there? You don't actually have to go overboard with the dirt, I don't mind the clean feel that is going on, it reminds me of like a high-tech prison facility for high-risk inmates. Like the prison in the X-men movies, or the prison from escape plan. They keep everything so clean as to make sure nothing is out of place, or so that nothing could be used as a weapon, keeping everything pristine. Just a thought.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nickcomeaeu

Thanks for the comments, yes absolutely i will be adding grime and dirt to the environment. Hopefully as i upload more work you will start to see that transition from clean to dirty/grime.

Any feedback on the brick wall would be great. Its my first attempt at a zbrush sculpt of a brick wall.

High-Poly-Brick-Sculpt_zpsbz3jbkqe.jpg
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI

vertex painting hmmmm, its something i have never looked into. Since iv to some extent got my head around PBR. I could go ahead and start looking into it. Thanks for the movie references i shall look into them for further inspiration.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI

I just had a quick glance on how vertex painting work.

I would like to say, its funny because i was gonna use this method on certain areas of the environment piece. But i didn't know what it was called thanks for that :)
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertex painting can definitely be useful. As for the bricks that you sculpted, I feel like the damage is very consistent across all of the bricks, I would try to vary it up a bit more and add some visual interest. Also, having some bricks slightly farther out or farther in than others would be a nice touch as well.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you nickcomeau for the feedback,

I have hopefully managed to take your advice and apply it onto the mesh, i have made some bricks farther in and out as requested. I have also toned down the strength of the larger damaged and gave it a different variation. Due to this texture will be tiled, i figured the larger damage would tile badly.

Below is the progress on it, What do you think and any more feedback?

Highpoly-brick-sculpt-2_zpse7fzamwm.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that helped a lot it looks better to me :D
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kool thanks dude for your feedback, i do feel its more balanced.

Question:

What is the best method of getting this out of Zbrush into Photoshop as a tillable texture.

Also would it be ideal to texture in zbrush?

My pc aint that powerful to create a normal map projection in 3dsmax. the poly count is at 9.7 Million.

I know theirs a couple of methods used in zbrush, but i need a little advice on how the community generally approach this.
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use decimation master in zBrush to lower the polycount while keeping the detail, and maybe try baking in xNormal then? Just do it on a flat square plane and then you should have a good base for texturing. I would either use photoshop or substance to paint this, not zBrush.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for that ill show my results later on today. Still working on the diffuse. Iv manged to delete the back polygons behind the plain. It came to 9 million polys. 3dsmax handled it okay.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately I dont own substance so I couldnt use that work flow so I will be using photoshop for the texture work.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys a little feedback on the wall,

I have only managed to get the wall to normal map and albedo Map stage, the glossiness comes from values from 0 -1 on the specular and roughness. Once i have finalized the albedo Map i will work on getting an ambient occlusion and roughness map going.

Still debating on adding a height map but will see, if yall convince me enough i will do it.

oUTDOORCRAPPYLIGHTING_zpsiqqx45hs.jpg

cRAPY_lIGHTING_zps1xeyubyx.jpg
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The dark bricks look too patterned. Maybe get rid of two of them or move them around?
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    You should get some kind of story going like a jail break. Just something for your environment to tell. Looking great so far!
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, Its been along time since my last update. I haven't really had much time to do any 3d work. But i should now have more time over the next few weeks. Which i hope this will be done by.

Cheathem, Great idea soon as the trims are finished of this projects and the little texturing left off the assets i will attempt to try give more life to the environment.

Nickcineau, I have lightened the darker bricks, i think it should have a less patterned effect. I also added colour variation to the bricks, Hardly noticeable until up-close.

Latest update is showing the new pillers and finally got around to doing my first pass of lighting.

AnothershotGreatshot_zpst9i2ihrg.jpg

AnotherShot_zpspxy0jcvh.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Lack of concept/atmosphere/place really hurting this. Everything is played pretty safe, very on the grid and sterile. Not a space I'm dying to explore. I mean less is more sometimes. The exposed ventilation ducts look very tacked on and not supported. The bricks being used for the slanted roof are unrealistic and proves you didn't work from concept or ref. (or if you did you used bad ref.)

I googled sci-fi prison and found this, and this is already 100 times more interesting in terms of composition, layout, and lighting. CYszv.jpg
    Working from a solid concept like this also demonstrates your ability to match said concept, the set pieces (the door/trolly) really add visual interest and opportunity to demonstrate hard surface modeling. If your serious about a strong portfolio piece, these are the things art directors are looking for. You have to have the basic fundamentals and strong foundations in prop and asset creation, materials and color composition. Having a roadmap and target to shoot for will help you from missing the target.

I don't understand peeps that are willing to spend the hours on a portfolio piece, yet skip over a solid foundation or setting a direction before they start. (you can't skip that step, when you do you end up with a generic piece, that has no cohesive elements.) Your Tetris wall tiles....while cute destroy any type of mood your trying to establish with this scene.

I'd hit the reset on this, get a better composition, some interesting elements/focal points, decide what material make sense to apply from the old scene and decide on your theme/sci-fi old grimy, and re-execute.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As hard as it is to ditch this project because of the time and effort i have put in. I know deep down inside your right, parts of this project has been added from imagination and lack real reference on composition and concept. Most objects have been modeled from reference of course. But a solid concept is something this project lacks.

This is a learning curve for me as this project is my second environment piece ever created. I have learnt allot over the course of this project and hopefully expand my knowledge.

I'm gonna call this project doen but half finished, and will take my time out and look at professional concepts and have a go and become better. Any recommended pieces please post, any more critique please say now. So i can take those critique and take that info into the next project.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Don't feel bad Azure, keep going.....if that means with a better game plan than so be it. I made a lot of awful generic stuff when I first started. (not saying your prison scene is awful), all I'm saying is I did the same thing you did back in the day. I spent hours building Quake III maps and scenes with no real sense of place, and just blew stuff out my ass without doing my homework. Had a lot of fun, yet a lot of stuff I threw out over the years/didn't finish etc cause I skipped over solid foundations and basics. It's healthy to recognize the wrong paths and you'll be better for it in the end. No sense polishing something that doesn't have good bones. Sadly this scene doesn't have it. (Yet having the ability to recognize that is rare in this industry so good on ya!) I look forward to your next scene!
  • Azure_Dragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you talk about basics and foundation could you elaborate more on whats needed before setting sail on project, kind of like work flow or anything that will help me notify/help me understand the mistakes i'm making.

Also do you have any links to website in which i could find good compelling concepts.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Concepts are easy to come by:

Artstation
    Pintrest
    conceptartworld.com

I highly suggest starting a Pintrest account, you should be gathering everything and anything you come across and saving for later use/reference/inspiration. I've already amounted a huge library of stuff and I've only been doing this for the last year and a half.

Basics and foundation:

Props and models, make a ton of em.....ideally in a theme. The lessons and mistakes you'll run into during that process will inform you on things you'll need to have figured out when you scale up to a larger scene/level.

Here are two scenes every aspiring environment artist should tackle at some point, and why it's a good idea.

Basement (image just an example, find something that inspires/challenges you and go for it)
    2015045538ebf543ab5.png
    interior lots of props, interior lighting understanding, mixture of cement, wood, metal materials to understand and implement. Not overly complex lighting model, yet still informative and tricky to get right because it's mostly ambient light.

Alley (image just an example, find something that inspires/challenges you and go for it)
    7fcfab4a83ed4cf34d7e42943730e5e3.jpg
    Exterior, yet scale isn't overwhelming, you can get away with building facades. Building a alley scene will force you to solve an exterior lighting setup. You'll also tackle architecture and building heights and composition. This will also be a lesson in tiling textures and exterior lighting.

If you decide to work from different/better reference, make sure the take aways are the same, and the scene isn't so complex and intimidating you won't finish it. Ideally all these assets/scenes being compiled/completed in a gaming engine (Unity 5, Unreal, Cryengine) PBR workflow seems to be industry standard now....

From there I'd spend time generating terrain and skyboxes and working on completely natural environments (think Bob Ross). Once you get all that down, bring it all together in a full scene more along the lines of the prison, or a small village. You have to crawl before you can walk mentality.

Good luck! :):thumbup:
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I think you might want to have some bars over the windows if you keep at it, to keep it going with the whole jail vibe, windows in general tend to not go over so well with a jail's primary function being containment.

As of now, if there was a riot on the main floor and I was a prisoner trying to escape, I'd get a buddy to lift me up onto the vents and shatter through the window.

My other two cents is when you're making a scene, try to think of it in terms of balancing busyness/noise versus clarity. Having tiles or high-frequency of roughly the same scale or patterns in 80% of the area tends to be too distracting and interrupts how you perceive a room, although that might be part of someone's taste as to how much noise a particular area has.

I would also try to think more about how the materials relate to each other when working on a given project and how they would be put together in real life. IE would metal frames be connected right against an older brick wall, would the metal frames have to be bolted in to work with such a material or havin cement running down the sides, would there be some sort of material inbetween the two that functions as a connector, etc. Don't get me wrong, various elements of different styles can work together, such as how the combine technology looked vastly out off place in Half-life 2, yet still felt like the parts were connected to the existing architecture in a logical manner.

Best of luck!