Home Technical Talk

making object fall appar/breaks into pieces

So i have simple box model, simples possible with 8 vertexes and i want it that in Unity3d when it is hitted by other object to fall into pieces/explodes. I could cut it and break it my self and then animate every part by itself but it would take too much time I guess. So is there some automatic way of doing it? 3ds max 2010 btw

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Usually you need an in engine solution for a this kind of things, because it requires real time physics if you want it to work universally. It can be "pre-baked", but then you'll have to animate it every time, so a physics based solution would be better. UE, CE, and the Source engine has their own tools for this, maybe Unity too, but if not, then I would search for a Unity compatible destruction physics tool. It has many many plugins/addons, probably you'll find something :)

A quick guidance on this, when it has to happen in real time (in game):
    You always use "pre baked" break, but the parts will have real time physics, so they can fall realistically. So you have a base mesh, and a broken version (it has the necessary cuts) and you use the intact version by default, and the engine replaces it to the broken version after the impact, and it applies the real time physics to the pieces individually so you get them fall realistically. As mentioned above , you usually have an in engine tool, for this.