Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Templar Assassin – TBD

rory
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rory polycounter lvl 5
Final Update:

MkY1R.jpg

Alright I'm working on a set for the Templar Assassin. I've never played Dota 2 just watched a few matches and read the requisite background info. That said if my designs are bad and I should feel bad just let me know ;) I gladly accept any criticism.

Initial Ideas:

2OyKR.jpg

Replies

• Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Number threeee! Looks sexy :D
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Number three it is. (though I might make a second thread for #2 if I think I can squeeze it in)

Trying to refine my concept. Not sure if I'm pushing the undead/skull theme a little too much.

LlFdi.jpg

And blocking things out in 3d. Pushed the skull size larger then originally intended to try to match original silhouette more. A little worried how well it will read in game.

WYBIF.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Last update for the day. Worked on the bracer. Going to rework the skull to match style.

y5BRq.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Trying out a couple hair styles. Also need to decide what to have hanging from arm, another skull seems too repetitive so I was thinking about trying a tome.

And after much frustration I was finally able to get a model into workshop properly!

9hg9F.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where this is going! The long hair looks nice and can be used as a dark value block to give contrast and make your other colours pop :)
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks Anux :) You are right about the long hair, that's the one I've been leaning towards.

Bake for shoulder items.

Gh2YZ.jpg

Also tried out the tome idea. No getting around it. Kinda weird. Tried it two ways attached to a rope and as a floating tome. The plus side of the floating version is it cuts down on tris.

(note: colors were just for testing workshop material)

oyRW6.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Tome simply wasn't working so I'm trying something else. Also going to rework cowl a little, so puffy :/

Elegance and skulls seem to go together pretty well. Mirror or no mirror?

6tUJK.jpg
  • Born Backwards
    Sweet lord almighty, please finish the second -- namely, the corset one. I'd be shocked if it didn't make it into the game. Not only that, but it would instantly become one of the most popular items in the store.
  • FrostBite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work, love the dangly sleeve!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mirror if you can spare the tirs :)
    Love puffy sleeves and frills! Yay!
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Born Backwards - :) thanks for the encouragement on that one. I liked that design a lot too. I might give that one a go after this. Also been working on a Lina design, but I think I'll have time to pull off two more.

Frost, Anux - thanks guys! Your making me feel more motivated!

After a couple days break here is where I'm at. It's getting there. Not sure how I feel about it though.

yAyNt.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Pretty much done. Just trying subtle variations that probably don't really matter.

My 3 ideas for set name:

Whispering Dead Set
    Necrotic Sage Set
    Temple of the Reaper set

mECum.jpg
  • bobmartien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bobmartien polycounter lvl 11
    I like the "arm stuff" :)
    Can you re-post your "concept" http://i.imgur.com/2OyKR.jpg ?
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    lol so much for getting to a second. Oh well I should have expected I would be too busy around thanksgiving. Did do a couple concepts I'm excited about.

bobmartien - thanks :D Not sure I follow. Igmur was giving me trouble logging in earlier but that link is working now. (at least for me) If you mean a concept with the sleeves in it. There really wasn't one. Just some sloppy paint over I never bothered posting.

Anywho final:

mvkUQ.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Had to re-rig the head, so decided to first try something out since I feel the head needs something. Already i think it will make for a more interesting character view. Albeit a slightly creepy one. Improvement? No?

Also finally got a dota 2 key. Man do I suck at Templar assassin. I'm pretty bad with all characters but her more so.

3ZLj6.jpg
  • Humblerbee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the mask looks really interesting, though what would it look like with a more skull style motif? That is to say, the eye sockets more akin to that of a skull, the nose being exposed through the nasal cavity opening, and the jaw bone being attached to her chin, exposing her mouth slightly.
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Nice spot humblerbee, I decided to give that a try. In the end though there is something about the previous half mask that really appeals to me. That's probably what I'm going to go with as I finish my entry today.

Here were my attempts at more of a skull motif. I had made more variations but igmur is being a pain and is not letting me upload.

KqEQ5.jpg
  • rory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5