Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Beast Master – Fierce Warrior

Replies

• Arsenal
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsenal polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! the weapon reads well, nice progress. So by submitting it, you can actually view it in game? Is the submission permanent?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »
    I think they disappear

i thought that too but i checked on the beta client and they dont disappear, at least on this version, but im almost sure that one day it disapeared =]
    1hSpq

thanks Spudnik =]
  • agentfx
    Damn how are you testing the items IN game? I can only do that model viewer thing.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tvidotto, I'm expecting some awesome animations for those pets! cant wait to see the final product. :P

that said by an animator make me really motivated =] thanks Helenek

its nice to see you face on the avatar, now i feel that i know you better =]
  • Managor
    I think he's replacing the original models with his versions in the files... It's a wild guess though.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Arsenal wrote: »
    Wow! the weapon reads well, nice progress. So by submitting it, you can actually view it in game? Is the submission permanent?

great! thanks man, i was trying to achieve that =]

agentfx wrote: »
    Damn how are you testing the items IN game? I can only do that model viewer thing.
    Managor wrote: »
    I think he's replacing the original models with his versions in the files... It's a wild guess though.

Managor is right, im replacing the original models, thanks for the help =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    update!

rebuilding the missing torso parts
    1i8X9
    1i8XV

later i will need to match the vertex normals on the border and the maps color
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I wasn't convinced the shoulder replacement would be possible but this is looking really promising, looking forward to seeing your progress!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    I wasn't convinced the shoulder replacement would be possible but this is looking really promising, looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks Lenny, that is really nice of you =]

i dont know if i said here, what im going to do for the shoulder is:
    • build the model with the border vertices matching the body´s
    • tweak by hand the vertices normals to match the body´s (i did that 3 years ago, i think its still possible)
    • match the pixel size on the texture
    • match all the maps channel on mudbox to the original ones
    • match exactlly the skinning on the border vertices

here is a rought model and a rought uv matching the pixel size of the original texture, im taking in consideration that the body uses a 512x512 and the shoulder uses 256x256 px. fortunatellly the models on dota 2 use a lot of the resolution on the face, so the body wasnt really big and i could get the size of it and still put the axe on the same uv

ss%20(2012-10-24%20at%2012.12.05).png

i still need to model the high poly of the axe, later i will refine the uv, for now is a little messy
  • Echronos
    I see a lot of influences from Diablo 3 barbarian on your concepts, which is great!

The concepts I like most is helmet 7, belt 1, axe 5, boar 4 and shoulders 6 :D

Keep it up man!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    first attempt and i failed... made a too small mesh on the torso that does not cover the already painted shadow...
    1ieon

ok, to the next try...
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    second attempt with some rought texture, now it cover the shadows and i can work on the difuse and other textures
    1ikei
    1ikpw

there is a lot to do on the textures to fix the seams, but that will be by tomorrow
  • agentfx
    damn looks great, I can't believe you are trying to replace the skin! Thats crazy. But very cool! everythings coming together nicely.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    the bird design looks awesome! xP
    and the axe on his back is looking a bit too simple to my taste
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Echronos wrote: »
    I see a lot of influences from Diablo 3 barbarian on your concepts, which is great!

The concepts I like most is helmet 7, belt 1, axe 5, boar 4 and shoulders 6 :D

Keep it up man!

The barbarian was my favorite char =] thanks =]
    damn looks great, I can't believe you are trying to replace the skin! Thats crazy. But very cool! everythings coming together nicely.

really thanks

its been harder then i thought but i think it will work, im having some difficulties painting on the edge of the model in the mudbox that i need to discover how to solve... unfortunatelly im new to mudbox
    LuCh! wrote: »
    the bird design looks awesome! xP
    and the axe on his back is looking a bit too simple to my taste

you mean the colors or the model? the colors are a little proxy but i think i know what you mean, its too "common" the axe, i should think on something more original

thanks =]

---
    OFFTOPIC

guys i need to share with everyone, totally offtopic but finally came the day that one of my couriers entered the game =]]]

its on the test client, i dont know when its going to enter the main client but that made my day =]]

yay!

1iuXG
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    guys i need to share with everyone, totally offtopic but finally came the day that one of my couriers entered the game =]]]

1 down, two to go!

massive grats on the dragon
  • Starboxx
    Offline / Send Message
    Starboxx polycounter lvl 11
    Nice for the courier ! Will buy it for sure!
  • dArth
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Tvidotto Nice one :D,changing the skin ? wow
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!

im letting the should part aside and return to the summons

here are some ideas for the hawk

1jfen
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    3 or 4 for me.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys, that will help a lot, im not confortable with the hawk yet

here is another update on the boar
    1jlB3
    1jlO3
  • Tdank
    3 or 4 look the best on the hawk imo. Congrats on the mount being incorporated in-game!
  • SiL
    Love all your Courier design!! Congrats!
    the #2 halk look good to me, and well done on the boar
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sil! that means a lot to me =]
  • Okoo
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    low poly boar
    1k4Kd
    1k4Rk

3158 tris with the limit to 4000 to lod0 and 2000 to lod1

i will still tweak some parts of the normal on photoshop and the mesh could change a little after some proxy animations

time to start the rig! =]
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    You have a lot of decent area's that can stand to loose some triangles you should be alright in that regard.

Looking great, almost has a lions mane which isn't bad.
  • agentfx
    are you going to make a new rig for the boar? With animations? Or are you going to bind it to the original skeleton?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz wrote: »
    You have a lot of decent area's that can stand to loose some triangles you should be alright in that regard.

Looking great, almost has a lions mane which isn't bad.

thanks nz

you are right about the triangles, i still need to clean up the mesh for the lod1, i will wait for some proxy animations and take of some triangles =]
    are you going to make a new rig for the boar? With animations? Or are you going to bind it to the original skeleton?

new rig and new animations =], i was working on the rig today

1kcoP
  • agentfx
    fantastic! I started reading about that on the developer page and workshop NPC page. Can you point me/us to the best place to learn? (or just say keep reading the developer page ;) Did you just read the developer pages and work out how to do this all? I'm kinda impressed. The information is a bit scattered about.

edit: so you're using the Source SDK? There isn't much documentation on dota with it. I guess I should ask where to find out more about dota2 and the sdk, or did you just learn it over time since you've made a few curriers before. Sorry if I'm asking too much. You just seem to know a lot about this already.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic! I started reading about that on the developer page and workshop NPC page. Can you point me/us to the best place to learn? (or just say keep reading the developer page ;) Did you just read the developer pages and work out how to do this all? I'm kinda impressed. The information is a bit scattered about.

edit: so you're using the Source SDK? There isn't much documentation on dota with it. I guess I should ask where to find out more about dota2 and the sdk, or did you just learn it over time since you've made a few curriers before. Sorry if I'm asking too much. You just seem to know a lot about this already.

dont worry with questions, i really like to help =]

ok, lets try to answer in parts

1 - best place to learn, there isnt one. for a courier you will need to learn how to compile the old way (not the ingame compiler) create some hitboxes and attachments (valves wiki)
    on the npc page there is a maya file with the donkey, there is a good start.
    Basically i learned with some scatered info on google and valves wiki and by trial and error. Even the valve´s wiki have some errors that was hard to discover the right way.

An animator from valve asked me how he could make a better documentation and corrected some error that i made on the qc file

i uploaded my .qc file for everyone who wants to learn about the process over compiling a courier
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tIW2Ck0LPaOf9zAQ6KJpy6rsB1xfmMdE39ZCM_YlcqI/edit
    its based on the donkeys, my trial and errors and some help from valve

every information is there and are commented for a better understanding

if you have time, you can read the dota workshop thead here on polycount, i passed for a lot of problems and its all commented there so you can avoid it

2 - the programs i use are:
    • dota test client
    • source film maker maya plugins for smd export
    • alien swarm sdk for model viewing
    • vtfedit for texture compressing
    • guistudiocompiler to compile everything
    • notepad ++ to edit the qc
    • gcfscape to extract the dota files from the vpk files

and feel free to ask =]
  • agentfx
    Thanks a lot for that post! I will go back and start reading the polycount dota2 thread later today at work. From my research I already gathered a few points of what you said, but good to know that is the way. Like I found the donkey and .qc file figured out how that explains things. Altho there are still things in there I don't know like extra numbers but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
    But I'm seeing that when you do things the old school way you need to compress your own textures, why you said vtfedit.
    gcfscape is b/c you need to see what the character/npc already has.
    I'll have to get the alien swarm viewer, maybe thats the way to see all your own animations and such.

Thanks again. As I read I kept having more questions and didn't think the solution was fully on the docs yet. I have more questions but let me first see what's on the dota2 thread here today.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for that post! I will go back and start reading the polycount dota2 thread later today at work. From my research I already gathered a few points of what you said, but good to know that is the way. Like I found the donkey and .qc file figured out how that explains things. Altho there are still things in there I don't know like extra numbers but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
    But I'm seeing that when you do things the old school way you need to compress your own textures, why you said vtfedit.
    gcfscape is b/c you need to see what the character/npc already has.
    I'll have to get the alien swarm viewer, maybe thats the way to see all your own animations and such.

Thanks again. As I read I kept having more questions and didn't think the solution was fully on the docs yet. I have more questions but let me first see what's on the dota2 thread here today.

yes, the way without using the ingame compiler is harder but you will have more option

good luck on that =] any questions just let me know
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update ingame

1kQtq

ignore the seam on the texture, that occlusion was just to get a better feeling of the shape
  • zicoV
    Looks great so far :) Maybe consider making the upper tusks shorter and give them a smooth curve. Right now I feel like they are obscuring the lower tusks but maybe its just the angle of the screenshot.

Think I need to start looking into compiling my models for ingame tests. I wont ask cause I know you posted how you do it somewhere :p
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    OOoo me likes, your hitting the market hard with these. :poly124:
    Don't know if I will make any but if I ever do I know who to bug. :)

Nice can't wait to see some textures.
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great!

Is there a tutorial on how to get models on the alien swarm model viewer? I just can't get it working, how to you make the .mdl Files? Is it possible you might post a little workflow?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    zicoV wrote: »
    Looks great so far :) Maybe consider making the upper tusks shorter and give them a smooth curve. Right now I feel like they are obscuring the lower tusks but maybe its just the angle of the screenshot.

Think I need to start looking into compiling my models for ingame tests. I wont ask cause I know you posted how you do it somewhere :p

thanks man
    you will find how to do that on the workshop thread here in polycount, it will take some time to read =], but there i explain all the parts that i passed to compile it
    $!nz wrote: »
    OOoo me likes, your hitting the market hard with these. :poly124:
    Don't know if I will make any but if I ever do I know who to bug. :)

Nice can't wait to see some textures.

thanks! and feel free to ask, the only thing that i ask in return is to help someone else in the future =]
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Looking great!

Is there a tutorial on how to get models on the alien swarm model viewer? I just can't get it working, how to you make the .mdl Files? Is it possible you might post a little workflow?

the modelviewer is a bit trick, the cyborgmatt has a good one but its not complete, you can read the workshop thread here in polycount, there you will find more info

----

update on the animations, a little test in game with the run, idle, spawn and attack animations

http://youtu.be/Gh2477G5R_M
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    i never know how to put a video embbed here...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh2477G5R_M"]Beast Master custom Boar first anims - YouTube[/ame]

--- yay worked now =]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Dude that's fucken' awesome!!!!!!!!!!
  • agentfx
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude that's fucken' awesome!!!!!!!!!!
    looking great!

awesome guys, that is really motivating =]]]

forget to post the rig

1lnS3
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Animation is great. Nice work.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Animation is great. Nice work.

thanks man, keep the good work on your set
    ---
    some update on the bird.

thanks for all the suggestion on the head

the body i based on some brazilian birds, especially the tail
    i blocked the values on the left image and the right is with the color test that i liked most

the direction for the colors is that this new model should not give advantage nor disvantage compareced to the default model. My first concept was too colored and would be easier to see in the screen, so i planned something with less saturated colors
    1m3Ma
  • Kralzar
    holy crap! sweet stuff man.
  • agentfx
    insanity. So freakin good.
  • Malakay
    This is an inspiring and insightful thread. I came here by looking at your thread history. Is this model finished yet, or do you still want input on the item designs?
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Kralzar wrote: »
    holy crap! sweet stuff man.
    insanity. So freakin good.
    Malakay wrote: »
    This is an inspiring and insightful thread. I came here by looking at your thread history. Is this model finished yet, or do you still want input on the item designs?

thanks for the kind words guys, that is really inspiring =]

i should have updated it more

ok, here is a video with the bird animations, still some tweaks to do but the major parts are done

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCmloH--GgU"]bird first anims - YouTube[/ame]

Animations
    • idle
    • fly cycle
    • stun
    • flail
    • spawn
    • death
    • turns

Attachments
    • hitlock attachment
    • default coliders
    • head colider