Home Technical Talk

sketchfab

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
can i have multiple materials in sketchfab?
My model is mapped on to 4 UV sheets, and i want to display it on sketchfab

Replies

• PadreZippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PadreZippo polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, Sketchfab supports multiple materials and UV channels. I would recommend exporting as FBX. What software are you using? Have you tried to upload anything yet?
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    so far ive tried .obj and .fbx which didnt work, and also the sketchfab 3ds max plugin, which inexplicably erased my UVs, generated its own and baked the textures i had applied on the model in to a single texture sheet. I felt violated and am still slightly shaken by it.

anyways im using 3ds max.

edit: scratch that, I tried fbx again and now i can see the various materials in the dropdown list. As long as i dont run in to any of the various problems the 3dsmax fbx exporter suffers from I should be good.
  • PadreZippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3ds max plugin, which inexplicably erased my UVs

Try turning off "Auto unwrap objects" in the light bake section. That should keep your original UVs in place.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    great ill try that. FBX exporter messed up the vertex normals again unsurprisingly so ill try again later with the sketchfab plugin if i can get that to work.
  • PadreZippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let me know how it goes. Feel free to send a sample file if you think something is going wrong on our end: support@sketchfab.com

We do check normals and recalculate them if necessary, but that's no guarantee they will behave as expected...
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I ended up using the fbx exporter from max and just unticking the export tangents and normals. Sketchfab generated normals fine and with a quick look I couldnt tell any normal errors with 3ds max tangent space normals
  • PadreZippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good to know! Could you drop a link or embed here so I can see the model?
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Sketchfab uses materials, just assign 4 materials (one for each uv group) in max and export as obj with materials, that worked for me.
    edit: rereading the thread I have a feeling I missed the point